What keyboard to get?

Shiniontv

I am looking into buying a new keyboard.

I would like something full-size with tactile switches.

The keyboards I am looking at right now are:

- Logitech G Pro X (even though it is TKL)

- HyperX Alloy Origins

- Corsair K70 MK.2

All in the tactile variant.

I do not know however, which I should get, or if they’re any good in the first place.

Please come with any recommendations :)

For me, the K70 MK2 or the G Pro X would be my picks here.
It's a tossup between these as they both have pros and cons.

Corsair has excellent build quality, but functionally bloatware (buggy bloatware at that) controller software that has deep customization, if you put the time in. I've been using my K70 since 2014 (just before their switch to the tramp stamp) with zero hardware issue.

Logitech has much more simple, but less bug-prone and to a lesser degree, bloatware, controller software, but it uses their own spin on Cherry keys. They're not bad by any means, and it's entirely possible it's placebo, but they felt different (again, not bad, just different) to me. If I had to describe them, they feel like MX Speeds mixed with the more obscure MX Whites.

I don't like TKL keyboards, and have no experience with Kingston's boards, so input on the Alloy Origins won't be coming from me.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

TKL would be a no go for me. Have one that I liked initially, but you'd miss the numpad especially if you do any number crunching. Not a fan of Corsair not using standardized keycaps on the bottom row. If you plan on ever going custom keycaps, this could be a deal breaker.

Of what you posted, the Hyper X is an easy win. Standardized keys with a numpad.

HyperX Alloy Origins gets my vote, build quality is better compared to Corsair and Logitech, standard bottom row is a big advantage also. Also you could consider getting a GMMK which offers hot swapable switches and that enables you to get better switches, Kailh Box switches for example are better than Cherry variety. GMMK also comes in full size, TKL and even 60%.

Edited by noxdeouroboros

7 hours ago, Shiniontv said:

- Logitech G Pro X (even though it is TKL)

Seems overpriced for what it is, despite the hot-swappable features.

- HyperX Alloy Origins

On paper, great build quality. Includes a standard bottom row as mentioned above.

- Corsair K70 MK.2

Also overpriced, and shoddy quality.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

7 hours ago, Mooshi said:

Not a fan of Corsair not using standardized keycaps on the bottom row. If you plan on ever going custom keycaps, this could be a deal breaker.

What do you mean with not using standardized keycaps? What are standardized keycaps?

10 minutes ago, Shiniontv said:

What do you mean with not using standardized keycaps? What are standardized keycaps?

Corsair and Logitech uses non standard bottom row, they use a bit differently sized keycaps, they are non standard, making almost all third-party keycaps incompatible with these keyboards. If it's not clear enough and you want some more in depth explanation, let me know.

Here's some reading material on the matter :

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/mechanical-keycap-layout-and-size-chart.html

1 minute ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Corsair and Logitech uses non standard bottom row, they use a bit different size of keycaps, they are non standard, making almost all third-party keycaps incompatible with these keyboards. If it's not clear enough and you want some more in depth explanation, let me know.

Ah okay, thanks.

I am not really any user for third-party keycaps, but do you recommend the HyperX Alloy Origins over the Corsair K70?

6 minutes ago, Shiniontv said:

Ah okay, thanks.

I am not really any user for third-party keycaps, but do you recommend the HyperX Alloy Origins over the Corsair K70?

That's a clear YES. It's much better than Corsair. Not only for hard to change caps, but build quality is much better. The thing with keycaps is that most of mainstream manufacturers use really cheap abs plastic keycaps, they tend to start to  shine over time, your keyboard still works and all but just start to look like shit, that kinda sucks when you pay a pretty penny for it, and you end up stuck with shitty looking board without ability to get better caps.

Out of these 3 boards, HyperX is the clear choice.

For reference here's how that keycap shine looks :

LC2A9Bn.jpg

1 minute ago, noxdeouroboros said:

That's a clear YES. It's much better than Corsair. Not only for hard to change caps, but build quality is much better. The thing with keycaps is that most of mainstream manufacturers use really cheap abs plastic keycaps, they tend to start to  shine over time, your keyboard still works and all but just start to look like shit, that kinda sucks when you pay a pretty penny for it, and you end up stuck with shitty looking board without ability to get better caps.Just for reference here's how that looks :

Out of these 3 boards, HyperX is the clear choice.

Thanks a lot!

I am just wanting to pick the right choice to wish for, for xmas, so this has really helped!

Good day to you! :D

2 minutes ago, Shiniontv said:

Thanks a lot!

Happy to help.

2 hours ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Happy to help.

Is the HyperX Alloy Origins normal size?

1 minute ago, Shiniontv said:

Yes, if you mean by normal size is the typical 104-key Windows layout.

8 minutes ago, Shiniontv said:

If you mean layout @Dissitesuxba11s already answered, if you mean to ask if it's bottom row is standard, then yes, bottom row is standard as me and others previously pointed out.

9 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

if you mean to ask if it's bottom row is standard, then yes, bottom row is standard as me and others previously pointed out.

Thats what I meant, yes.

Thanks a lot :)