wanted backup program

hey im looking for a free backup program that can clone 1 hard drive to another every month or so. also would be nice if it could copy from serten folders to the storage drive like my pic folder and so on.

i no synergy was free at one point but went mane stream now you pay monthly i think.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

Or you could do raid1 and have everything backup constantly.  If you’ve got a Mac a “time machine” will do it automatically too.  If you like the monthly fee thing there are companies that will do it and store the data in a Cold War nuclear bunker for a surprisingly reasonable price.  Not much call for Cold War nuclear bunkers anymore.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Or you could do raid1 and have everything backup constantly.  If you’ve got a Mac a “time machine” will do it automatically too.  If you like the monthly fee thing there are companies that will do it and store the data in a Cold War nuclear bunker for a surprisingly reasonable price.  Not much call for Cold War nuclear bunkers anymore.

i think my dad did a raid 0 once with 2 of the drive and had the os on it and he overclocked my pc. worked for 6 moths or so than failed and i could not get any data off of it so...dont no about raid once in it it has to saty like that.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

So it’s the word “raid” what has you worried. Raid 0 and raid 1 are completely opposite things.  Raid0 is twice as fast and twice as large as a normal drive but also twice as fragile.  It “stripes” data between two drives so both drives have to work for there to be readable data plus if the striping messes up it all goes to hell.  It’s the top fuel dragster of hard drive systems.

raid1 is the opposite.  It writes the same data to two different disks so if one fails the other still has the data.  It’s half as large and no faster at all.  There’s 10 different kinds of raid and they all do different things.  Raid 0 is the least safe of all of them by a lot.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

so if i have my stoage drives in raid 1 and for some reason i need to take 1 drive away to hook it up to another pc it will work 100% out of the box? all my data is safe?

the reason i want a clone of my storage is well the drive will fail as some point. the chance that both drives fail are slim only if it had a power surge or water , fire damgre or stolen then it wouldn't help. then i can run the drives till one dies insted of replacing them every few years.

19 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

so if i have my stoage drives in raid 1 and for some reason i need to take 1 drive away to hook it up to another pc it will work 100% out of the box? all my data is safe?

the reason i want a clone of my storage is well the drive will fail as some point. the chance that both drives fail are slim only if it had a power surge or water , fire damgre or stolen then it wouldn't help. then i can run the drives till one dies insted of replacing them every few years.

Basically.  The standard move with raid 1 is to use drives of different types and ages to make sure they fail separately.  The problem with identical drives is they tend to fail very close together.  You could have a spare drive standing by for replacement, but if the second fails too before you get it replaced and copied over you’re still hosed.

10 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Basically.  The standard move with raid 1 is to use drives of different types and ages to make sure they fail separately.  The problem with identical drives is they tend to fail very close together.  You could have a spare drive standing by for replacement, but if the second fails too before you get it replaced and copied over you’re still hosed.

ya i do have a 2 tb and i got 2 new 4tb drives so that should work. my dad dose have nas drives he said i can have and a nas to put them in he just hasnt given them to me yet.

from what he was telling me is that cheap nas are slow and loud and they fail all the time and when that happens your hosed as you bsicly need the same nas to get your data. so he got a better one. but he was going to build a nas himself. got the case (aka my old case) got 4 roswell 5.25 bays for $25 each just hasent got the mb or the card w/e they call it. he's in  no rush as he said he has like 4 ish years of space left if he did 500gb a month....ya thats my dad....

21 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

RAID is NOT a bavkup! All RAIDs 1 and up provide is redundancy. All redundancy does is allow your computer to keep chugging along if a drive (or more, depending on the RAID level) should fail. 

However, drive failure is not the only way to lose data. Viruses and other malware, driver error (such as accidental deletion), theft, fire, flood, accidental damage, power surges, etc. can all cause data loss.

The only way to ensure data is reasonably safe is for it to exist in three, separate, locations. For most people, this would be on the computer, on an onsite external drive, and an offsite external drive. For a drive to be a true backup drive, it must be kept disconnected from the computer and powered down at all times except whle updating the backup.

For cloning a drive, I recommend using Macrium Reflect Free.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

22 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Or you could do raid1 and have everything backup constantly. 

12 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

so if i have my stoage drives in raid 1 and for some reason i need to take 1 drive away to hook it up to another pc it will work 100% out of the box?

14 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

RAID is NOT a bavkup! All RAIDs 1 and up provide is redundancy. All redundancy does is allow your computer to keep chugging along if a drive (or more, depending on the RAID level) should fail. 

Say it with me. RAID IS NOT A BACKUP. RAID IS NOT A BACKUP.

OK, now fill in the blanks. RAID is ____ backup. C'mon, you can do it; it's easy!

Now that this is out of the way, I recommend looking into an off-site backup solution, such as cloud storage, coupled with external HDDs you rotate out and store in a safety deposit box or at least at a friends place miles away from your location. I currently run a Synology NAS with any important documents backed up to the cloud via DropBox, in addition to software RAID 0 / 1 read / write locally on my PC. Currently just using custom made rclone scripts to backup to the NAS that run on a schedule.

Is it a perfect backup system? Far from it, but I've always got at least 3 copies of any important documents (like insurance, taxes, etc.) spread across 3 devices at a time, one of which I always have on my physical person. This ensures I have a copy with me in the event of a local disaster, such as a fire or flood, as my laptop, phone, iPad mini, and at least 1 external HDD have copies of my important docs folder from Dropbox sync'd within 5 minutes of each other.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

ok so im not making a backup just a clone of 1 storage drive to another that's it. i don't make a lot of money and don't want to pay for of site storage. plus i dont trust it. i don't have anything that super valuable but it would suck to losses as its happened once before....was my fault but anyway lesson learned. i do no that having an off enet storage would be a good idea and i have extra pcs to do so.

17 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

ok so im not making a backup just a clone of 1 storage drive to another that's it. i don't make a lot of money and don't want to pay for of site storage. plus i dont trust it. i don't have anything that super valuable but it would suck to losses as its happened once before....was my fault but anyway lesson learned. i do no that having an off enet storage would be a good idea and i have extra pcs to do so.

Wait.. extra PCs?  What about finding an old crusty one and setting it up as a storage server? All it would cost is the drives.  It doesn’t have to be fast.  It doesn’t even have to have a monitor.  It just sits in a closet and copies your hard drive every once in a while.

19 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Wait.. extra PCs?  What about finding an old crusty one and setting it up as a storage server? All it would cost is the drives.  It doesn’t have to be fast.  It doesn’t even have to have a monitor.  It just sits in a closet and copies your hard drive every once in a while.

i can do that just cant do server stuff....

it sound like i should make an off line backup pc and maybe rotate the hhd every so offend. just don't no about the software. along as i can still access my data even with out the software i would be fine. the thing with using a program is it go out of data or wont work on some os or something. i mean i can manually copy file's my self just be nice if it was automatic that's all. i no programmers can wight a scrip in 5 minits that would do just that but i cant program haha well....i kinda did with a diablo 2 bot but that's another story....