Any recomendations for a modem + router combo?

IAnthonyFX

I will be using mediacom in iowa city for a connection of 100mbps in a 650 sqft (60m2) apartment. Trying to get rid of the rental fee and looking to spend less than 100 dollars, the least the better. If possible it would be great for it to have a usb port for sharing a drive. I will only have 1 PC, 2 laptops, 2 phones connected to the internet and maybe a tv. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/resdal42/saved/sCW6XL

29 minutes ago, IAnthonyFX said:

I will be using mediacom in iowa city for a connection of 100mbps in a 650 sqft (60m2) apartment. Trying to get rid of the rental fee and looking to spend less than 100 dollars, the least the better. If possible it would be great for it to have a usb port for sharing a drive. I will only have 1 PC, 2 laptops, 2 phones connected to the internet and maybe a tv. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

See if your ISP has a list of compatible devices. Also if in the budget look at 16x4 or 24x8 devices. They will support faster speeds if you upgrade and help if the network becomes a bit congested. Besdies that I cant really recommend combo devices as they tend to suck. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

See if your ISP has a list of compatible devices. Also if in the budget look at 16x4 or 24x8 devices. They will support faster speeds if you upgrade and help if the network becomes a bit congested. Besdies that I cant really recommend combo devices as they tend to suck. 

Thank you for reaching out again. It seems they provide this list of supported devices https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://mediacomcable.com/compatible-retail-modems/&ved=2ahUKEwjbhoT45pXmAhUOsJ4KHV__BvQQFjALegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw3MlgzdkVad15BdzYjxKeD8

I truly do not know anything about modems or routers. When I first made a post I thought routers and modems where the same thing as I have apparently only been exposed to modem + router combos. 

It also seems to be that I cannot do much with a 100 dollar budget. I want a reliable connection, I don't want to have to turn my modem/router on and off to fix things. And ideally I could connect via USB a harddrive to access to movies easily. 

What would you advice me to get, either a modem + router combo or separately, what devices should I get? I am willing to increase my budged to around 200 dollars but the less the more comfortable I would feel. 

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K @4.9 GHz 6-Core Processor CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU CoolerMotherboard: MSI - Z370I GAMING PRO CARBON AC Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard Memory: PNY - Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 @3000 MemoryStorage: 960 evo 500gbVideo Card:place holderCase: Phanteks - Enthoo EVOLV ITX TG (Black) Mini ITX Desktop Case Power Supply:SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 pwm 59.5 CFM  140mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Case Fan: be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM High-Speed 73.3 CFM  120mm Fan Monitor: Dell - S2716DG 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor Mouse: Place holder Sony H.ear on Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphone, Charcoal Black (MDR100ABN/B)  LEOBOG K26 Wired RGB Mechanical Keyboard,Gaming Keyboard,RGB Color Backlight,104 Key,Anti-Ghosting For Full Key,Blue Switches,Aluminum Chassis,Detachable wrist rest,PC,Computer, Laptop,BLACK (Black)EZDIY-FAB Sleeved Cable - Cable extension for power supply with extra-sleeved 24 PIN 8PIN 6PIN 4+4 PIN With COMBS- Black Grey

19 minutes ago, IAnthonyFX said:

hat devices should I get?

Looking at the list. the SB6141 and the SB6183 would be the best of the cheaper options. I dont have exprience with Zoom products Id imagine they will work. The SB6141 tops out at about 200Mbps, I have this modem, its rock solid, but its cant do much over 200 Mbps. The SB8200, CM1000,CM1100 are solid from what I hear but they are hell of expensive as they are newer Docsis 3.1 modems. If it were me, Id consider the SB6183, BUT your provider is kinda fucked up in their speed tiers, as the SB6183 can support fasters speeds than 200 Mbps, Not sure if it can do 500 Mbps however, technically speaking the SB6190 should be able to HIT 500 Mbps, but they seem to only allow D3.1 modems for faster speeds. Go with the SB6183 if you think your not going to upgrade your speeds any time soon, other wise pick a D3.1 modem. 

Just make sure you dont buy the SB6190 its a 32x8 modem, BUT it has issues, the Intel Puma 6 chip has known issues that they cant fix. These issues are well documented over at DSLreports.com, but any Puma 6 modem is garbage. 

Router wise most will tell you ASUS or Netgear. I myself have a Synology RT2600AC, but its expensive. $200 USD just for the router. Guidelines for a router however would be at least WiFi 5 (Wireless AC). 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

so maybe a  SB6183 for 35 dollars.
and a 
NETGEAR Nighthawk AX4 4-Stream WiFi 6 Router (RAX40) - AX300 for like 130?
or more modestely a ASUS Wireless-AC1700  for like 80 dollars?

30 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Looking at the list. the SB6141 and the SB6183 would be the best of the cheaper options. I dont have exprience with Zoom products Id imagine they will work. The SB6141 tops out at about 200Mbps, I have this modem, its rock solid, but its cant do much over 200 Mbps. The SB8200, CM1000,CM1100 are solid from what I hear but they are hell of expensive as they are newer Docsis 3.1 modems. If it were me, Id consider the SB6183, BUT your provider is kinda fucked up in their speed tiers, as the SB6183 can support fasters speeds than 200 Mbps, Not sure if it can do 500 Mbps however, technically speaking the SB6190 should be able to HIT 500 Mbps, but they seem to only allow D3.1 modems for faster speeds. Go with the SB6183 if you think your not going to upgrade your speeds any time soon, other wise pick a D3.1 modem. 

Just make sure you dont buy the SB6190 its a 32x8 modem, BUT it has issues, the Intel Puma 6 chip has known issues that they cant fix. These issues are well documented over at DSLreports.com, but any Puma 6 modem is garbage. 

Router wise most will tell you ASUS or Netgear. I myself have a Synology RT2600AC, but its expensive. $200 USD just for the router. Guidelines for a router however would be at least WiFi 5 (Wireless AC).