Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
codyretrac

eol macbooks, can Linux save the day?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I recently found my buster old MacBook air, it's a 2011 model and apple recently ended support of it, which would have been nice to know before I tried updating it. The update completely wiped the drive and is. So now I have this aluminum paper weight covered in stickers.

My question here is if I put a Linux install, something like pop_OS! on a USB key, could I boot it onto there with my paper weight sitting in osx utilities? When I attempt to reinstall os x, it errors with a missing download.

well.. i guess you may as well try. i know of several people who done the macbook with linux thing, i'm just not sure how things go on the bootloader side.

yes you can do that. put the usb stick into the laptop, hold down option and boot it up. from there install like you would on any other computer. 

They/Them :) 

iPhone 6s | 64GB | iOS 13

Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" Mid-2012 | Core i5 3210M | HD 4000 | 16GB RAM | 500GB SSD | macOS Catalina / Windows 10

You can still probably take it to the apple store and have them install MacOS, worth a shot

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 thread, BR/BT threadSeasonic Focus thread, S12II/M12II thread, Userbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions

14 hours ago, codyretrac said:

So I ended up booting pop!_os to it, but I'm pretty sure everything that was on the drive is gone. Thank you for the links!

If you were looking for your data, you would need to use macOS to see that partition. 

Main Machine: Lenovo ThinkCentre | Intel Core i5-4430 (4C,4T, 3GHz) | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 (4x 4GB) | 500GB Seagate 2.5" 7200RPM | Intel HD 4600 | Windows 8.1 Professional x64

On 12/4/2019 at 6:10 PM, elsandosgrande said:

@Lenovo1984 Can't Linux see HFS+ and AFS?

It may be able to, I haven't tried that in a while. 

Main Machine: Lenovo ThinkCentre | Intel Core i5-4430 (4C,4T, 3GHz) | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 (4x 4GB) | 500GB Seagate 2.5" 7200RPM | Intel HD 4600 | Windows 8.1 Professional x64

Sidenote, if you want to update to a newer mac os version, check out dosdude1's patchers

CPU: i7 3820@4.3Ghz GPU: Gtx 1060 RAM: 16gb HyperX Fury CASE: S340 Elite Cpu runs nice and hot ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I would think that putting that on the laptop wouldn't a bad idea. My last netbook has Ubuntu on it, and from what I can see, it works fine. I just looked up how heavy it is on resources, and it looks like Pop OS is actually recommened for your laptop. I'd say try it.

On 12/4/2019 at 11:47 AM, Lenovo1984 said:

If you were looking for your data, you would need to use macOS to see that partition. 

Assuming the drive is encrypted you can use data recovery tools such as foremost to scan for deleted files.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´