[question] fastEthernet device on my Network

mabvmet

Hi everyone.

Well, I have some doubts.

If in my home network all my devices support Gigabit-Ethetnet, (cables also) but if one device, let's say, a wireless router (used as Access Point) is Fast-Ethernet...

My network is something like this...

ISP modem > switch > Port1 > TV1

Port2 >  PS4

Port3 >  Apple AirPort Extreme > PC and Mac

Port4 >  wireless router (AP) <- This device is FastEthernet

>  XBOXONE

> TV2 

1.- Will My entire network work in GbE or just all the devices after the wireless router? 

2.- If I keep growing my network through more switches the speed of my ISP will be divided between all the devices? 

Thanks a lot in advance.

P.D. Any suggestion about my network is welcome.

fast Ethernet is slower than gbe and all devices after that will be limited to such. As for bandwidth being divided evenly its a yes and no there can be prioritization which for example voip connections would be allotted more bandwidth, usually only if you set up the feature and if your router supports it.

17 minutes ago, mabvmet said:

1.- Will My entire network work in GbE or just all the devices after the wireless router? 

2.- If I keep growing my network through more switches the speed of my ISP will be divided between all the devices? 

Thanks a lot in advance.

P.D. Any suggestion about my network is welcome.

You will be restricted to a max of 100mbit/s through the wireless router... So XBOXONE and TV2 connecting will at most have 100mbit/s connection to the ISP. If both are connecting, the 100mbit/s of bandwidth will be shared between them (not necessarily evenly, but for ease of understanding, say 50mbit/s max each). PS4 to modem, for example, would still run at up to 1000mbit/s as the traffic is not routed through any of the FE ports.

The bandwidth from the ISP is split up (eg., if you connect 4 devices to a 50 mbps internet connection, you only have 50mbps total for all 4 to use, so 12.5mbpsx4, not 50mbpsx4). How bandwidth from the ISP is distributed depends on the configuration of the routers/switches/ap's. Depending on your specific modem etc., you could set it for example, to prioritize bandwidth available to the PC over the other devices...