We built a PC more efficient than a console!

17 hours ago, brncrsh said:

OMG what a fail!
You didn't show the system power consumption before the optimization!
Really?
That is what I was most interested in...

On other matters, does anyone know how to undervolt RTX series (I have a 2060 Super)? Since I think it has been removed as a possibility in MSI Afterburner.

17 hours ago, sydh said:

Alright cool so where are the base power draw before undervolting/downclocking? Where is the power draw if you were to oc/max out that very same build? That should have really been in the video along side comparing the power draw from the console.

Agree they should of included actual tests, 

But estimates come out at about 320W max, im shoeballing for idle, but should about 70-85W at idle, according to information i can find on 3600+2060 idle power consumption from other test, and throwing in another 10-15W extra for additional case fans one would usually want for a system that could get hot like this, also the higher refresh/hdr monitor settings most people would leave on with said display they used. 

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.fcbaacd77dc3fca68eb9285f4b6ca736.png

So best case scenario their max power draw (108W) is only a bit over similar system at idle.  Ya they shoulda included that would of been a great way to end video rather then just the Xbox comparison.

The PSU efficiency graph starts at 10%.

It definitely does drop below 90% efficiency below that.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I would like to know what the Tomb Raider settings were? Had to be pretty heavily tweaked to run at 4K 60FPS on an RTX 2060? Or just used one of the quality presets?

interesting stuff, I looked at my own Kill-A-Watt when I got the GTX960 years ago and one of the features I was interested in, hardware accelerated video encoding, drew about 45w when engaged (this could include drive load). I'd like to half my idle draw to match your results, but it may not be possible if you don't have a platter drive hooked up, and only one case fan. Hmmm, good to know what a baseline could look like for an ATX platform!

I had benchmarked a game in 1080p 1440p (downscaled) and 2160p (downscaled)

ranged from 120~171w, peaked at 216w when recording/encoding video while playing a game.

I see you guys went for the most efficient "mid-range" build. Well here's a "low-budget" gaming build for even lower wattage, but still passable performance:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Results45/saved/wHMRkL

Component   Selection Base  Promo   Shipping Tax   Price   Where  
CPU     AMD Athlon 200GE 3.2 GHz Dual-Core Processor $49.49       $4.81     $54.30   Buy  
CPU Cooler     Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $34.99   -$10.00 1     FREE     $24.99   Buy  
Motherboard     MSI X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard $109.99   -$10.00 1     FREE     $99.99   Buy  
Memory     GeIL EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $54.99       FREE     $54.99   Buy  

Storage     Hitachi Ultrastar 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $34.99         $34.99   Buy  
Storage     Intel 660p 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $54.99       FREE     $54.99   Buy  

Video Card     MSI GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card $214.99       FREE     $214.99   Buy  
Case     Phanteks ECLIPSE P350X ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99   -$10.00 1     $1.99     $61.98   Buy  
Power Supply     Cooler Master MWE Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99   -$20.00 2    FREE     $79.99   Buy  

Base Total: $724.41        
Mail-in Rebates: -$50.00        
Shipping: $6.80        
Total: $681.21   @ ~350W MAX     

Overclocking:

Side note: Yes there are better CPU/GPU combos (i.e. Ryzen 3/5, Core i3/i5K, RX 5500, GTX 1650S/RTX 2060), but I went for lowest peak wattage with playable 1080p "High" framerates still in mind. 

Go game and be hulking green! ?

34 minutes ago, Results45 said:

Go game and be hulking green! ?

Which brings up another thing. While for LMG this isn't much of an issue due to being in a complex with multiple businesses where deliveries are likely daily. If shipped how much CO2 is produced to bring your products to your door? For example Amazon drivers typically will deliver anywhere from a few dozen to a few hundred packages near you and always assume the worst since you don't know, a few hundred the emissions produced are laughable, but if you are the only one in a 10km radios that 20km of fuel should be added into your co2 savings and this requires to know the vehicle they used. Then there is multiple sources that ship different providers.

The greenest option isn't always buying the lowest wattage machine but the cheapest computer locally that does what you want it to do and you could take the bus a car or even better bike/walk if it's that close.

My new build the case is being shipped all the way from BC (biggest carbon footprint) my RAM is walking distance (once confirmed), my board cpu m.2 and monitor where all delivered in one shot by Amazon like in a cube van. 

While Linus's set up I would (excluding ME since they are based out of BC, and everything will ship from there, also no NE to limit shipping resources) :

Noctua NH-U15S: Friday (amazon) or travel to North York (cheaper)

ASUS B450-F: Downtown Toronto or Vaughn

Ryzen 5 3600X: Barrie

G.Skill TridentZ 16 GB DDR4-3200: Not possible to find, so pick up random ram from a store one goes to for greenest option.

Samsung 970 EVO: Friday (amazon), Local walking distance.

2060: Local (never bothered with amazon since it was generic)

Fractal Design Meshify C : Toronto? Vaughn, or local with generic case.

Seasonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 650W PSU: Non existent. Amazon can get a Titanium unit Friday.

I didn't look at the cost of things but based on PSU and GPU I'm already at about $600 for Linus's setup.

Average car (according to a quick google) produces about 400 grams of CO2 per mile, which is equal to 1 kwh of Natural Gas. So if that poor amazon driver has to drive just for you and your delivery assuming 100 miles away and all delivered in one shot it would take one about 400 hours of computer time at 100 watts (250 watt difference assuming natural gas is the electricity source) to break even with the build Results did assuming one could walk and pick it up.

Realistically the greenest option for a gamer to go green isn't by lowering their wattage nor by trying to figure out how to build a green computer but it's by going to a provider like https://www.bullfrogpower.com/ who produces green energy. While your own source might still be coming from a non renewable you are helping by allowing said company to increase their infrastructure which means less work on nonrenewable sources.

First time posting. I'm interested in the idea of a green computer/game server. How do you find the sweet spot between performance and energy used? The computer I have in mind would be in my basement "sleeping?" most of the time. I have a large family. Spread out across the states, that would login at random times. I want it reachable but not burning up the electric bill. Sorry for my ignorance and thank you for any help

13 hours ago, Speedcan said:

The computer I have in mind would be in my basement "sleeping?"

Well then you don't have much to worry about, when a computer is idling its power draw is very small, about 30-40-50W. 

23 hours ago, Speedcan said:

First time posting. I'm interested in the idea of a green computer/game server. How do you find the sweet spot between performance and energy used? The computer I have in mind would be in my basement "sleeping?" most of the time. I have a large family. Spread out across the states, that would login at random times. I want it reachable but not burning up the electric bill. Sorry for my ignorance and thank you for any help

Depends on the game and frequency family logs on. If a game like Minecraft it might be better to just rent a server for a few bucks a month. However for those who really want to build (with tons of cash to burn) a really good green machine solar panels and backup batteries where most (hopefully) of your power during peak time is gotten from the sun (think Tesla's powerwall and solar roof basically). Beyond that buying the most power efficient cpu available that can handle your needs and leaving it stock is your best bet.

10 hours ago, MACMAC said:

Well then you don't have much to worry about, when a computer is idling its power draw is very small, about 30-40-50W. 

well obviously that depends on what "computer" you are talking about

a laptop

or a desktop

when it comes to desktop, then it comes down to what kind of monitor is being used, crt, lcd, led, plasma

then the usual other factors of power draw from the desktop itself

While per-component power draw readings were nice, they didn't do system total until after the rig was built. Having power draw before would've been more meaningful. Especially because of the glaring difference between Core and Ryzen at idle.

Which the only explanation I can think of is Ryzen is more of a system-on-a-chip.

• 4 months later...

new to overclocking/underclocking. Is there a guide on how to do what they did in the video or any resources for a newbie?