Intel i9 9900K Air or Water Cooling?

BenJoe

I'm looking at getting an i9 9900K and I'm not sure which cooler to go for. I'm thinking of overclocking but wanna make sure I've got the right system to support it, coolers I've been looking at are either the Noctua NH-D15 or Corsair H150i PRO RGB. I've never done water cooling before and I've seen mixed reviews on the i9 9900K with some saying that a air cooler will be fine and others stating I will need a 360mm radiator to cool it. Any help and advice would be appreciated!

Cheers.

Hi . I personally use a water cooler for my i9 9900k . However in my experience it ran allot better disabling turbo boost (overclocking) as the cpu temperature would jump up and down by as much as 20-30c while gaming and about 20c at idle . Turbo boost seems a bit shady at the moment. Hopefully this will be fixed in a bios update later on . So if you want to go with water cooling I'd say go for it. However if you're on a bit of a budget and already have good airflow in your case I'd say a beefy air cooler would work too

Since the 9900K is basically Intel's current top of the line CPU, I'd go with water cooling. If however you don't feel comfortable with water cooling, absolutely don't force yourself to do it. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

The 9900k isn't very hard to cool at stock. Many motherboards tend to ship with settings by default that are essentially auto-oc's. 

The NH-D15 is great but the H150i Pro RGB can be better if you want more oc'ing headroom.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Thank you @Leot1995 and @LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo. I might not end up overclocking but I wanna make sure the CPU is cooled properly as I know it can run hot. To give you a little more info I'm planning on using an Asus TUF Z390-PRO GAMING motherboard and a Cooler Master MasterCase MC500M. If that helps with the air flow situation.