Solenoids

I work in a paintball store & there's a type of marker called the "Autococker."

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.9a639824247f17baa12dbb0a74bd225b.png

image.png.69626a7651d3a44906b4d48fb1bd18fa.png

This is a very complex paintball gun that uses air to make all these mechanics move back & forth. About 10 years ago a company called Planet Eclipse created an electric type called the "E Cocker" where it uses a type of solenoid that looks like this:

Spoiler

image.png.bf6a4714fa37e8fe9da098bb6c5f0dbd.png

Basically air is always flowing through the middle port & depending on where it's moved, air will flow out of the front or back hole. This was used to replace another part called a "Three Way" which looked something like this:

Spoiler

image.png.1558281ade35db139559e96c015b795e.png

The piston directs airflow from the middle input to the output in the front or back.

More information if you're interested: http://magman68.tripod.com/id2.html

I was interested in working with solenoids to create my own paintball guns using an Arduino as the micro-controller.

Could anyone point me in a direction to learn more about solenoids? I want to direct airflow & air pressures of 50-400 PSI. (Autocockers work in a variety of pressures as they need to be tuned & also have multiple air pressure regulators.)

If you could also give me any advice on how to power a solenoid without killing batteries that would also be cool. Someone was telling me I needed to use a capacitor, diode and a mosfet to drive the 6V solenoid or I'd kill my 9V battery very quickly. I may need a resource on general electronics. I only have formal education in theory behind electronics flow, not how to use any components.

If you throw me a link to a textbook on amazon you used in University, that would probably be the resource I may need to be looking for.