Can I put a second fan from another brand in my cpu air cooler?

harryagamez

So here is the thing:

Right now I have a cpu air cooler Aerocool Verkho 5 and I am planning to change it for a Scythe Mugen 5 rev. b. It comes with a fan and I am wondering, can I attach the fan that comes with the Verkho 5 to the Mugen 5 as a second fan?

This are the specs of the Verkho fan:

Fan: 120 x 120 x 25 mm
Power consumption 3.12W
Speed: 800-2000 RPM
CFM: 27.2-56.4 CFM
Noise(dBA) 15-27 dBA
Connector PWM- 4pin

This are the specs of the Mugen 5 fan:

Fan: 120mm x 120mm 27mm
Speed: 300 – 1.300 RPM ± 10%
Noise: 4-24 ~ dBA
CFM: 51.17 CFM ± 10%

Connector PWM- 4pin

You can, but both fans should provide the same kind of airflow, so one fan doesn't speed up/slow down the other. Not sure if it's worth it in terms of amount of cooling that'll provide.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Im not sure how fan mounting works on your air cooler but if you have the ability to mount a second 120mm fan either by whats provided with cpu cooler or diy with something like zipties than yes you can mount any type of fan you would like so long as its the right size (right size being the size of the fan it came with)

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

EVGA 650 GQ | AOC 60Hz Freesync Panels x2 | AOC 144hz Freesync Panel x1

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

Corsair 750W G2 | Acer R240HY x2

Upsilon- i7 5500u | 6GB DDR3 | 720p 60Hz panel

Yes you can, if they are both PWM and have similar RPM

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

7 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

You can, but both fans should provide the same kind of airflow, so one fan doesn't speed up/slow down the other. Not sure if it's worth it in terms of amount of cooling that'll provide.

I updated the post with the spec of both fans.

Just now, harryagamez said:

I updated the post with the spec of both fans.

I wouldn't mix those, because RPM and CFM is different. That means the fan with higher airflow will either push against the other fan, speeding it up, or the slower fan may starve the other for air, slowing it down. That's going to introduce additional noise and may have negative effects on cooling performance.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

16 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

I wouldn't mix those, because RPM and CFM is different. That means the fan with higher airflow will either push against the other fan, speeding it up, or the slower fan may starve the other for air, slowing it down. That's going to introduce additional noise and may have negative effects on cooling performance.

I understand. Well, I won't mix them then. Thank you very much.