Liquid metal on gaming laptop

Dean.P.

I own a fairly old Gigabyte P35W V2 and it was suffering pretty bad for temps for CPU and GPU just under idle conditions. I removed the cooler cleaned it all out (some accumulation of dust had built up) then I placed liquid metal on the two dies after fully preparing the surfaces and cleaning them thoroughly. I placed Conductonaut on both the heat sink and the two dies (copper heat pipes), however the temps haven't improved a great deal all I can notice is that the amount of heat being rejected by the laptop is bloody immense. But, the CPU and GPU components haven't got a great deal cooler. At idle the i7-4710HQ sits at 50-60C and likewise with the GPU which is an Nvidia 870M. Under load the GPU gets to about 82C and the CPU is about 90C. Both components share the same copper heat pipe heat sink so if one is hot the other is hot as well unfortunately. My main question is does this sound about right or is something not right with those temps? For testing I ran Kombustor from MSI in full screen 1920*1080, stupidly I did not run the test beforehand with the old dried thermal paste and dust clogged computer however, I can say the amount of heat rejection from the back was less than half.

Back when I had an Omen laptop with a newer six core and a 1070, I had around the same issues. I cleaned the thing up and put liquid metal, like you did, but did not see a whole lot of improvement. The difference here is that your CPU and GPU are sharing the same heat pipes and sink, so like you said, this is going to cause both to saturate quicker. From what I can gather of your post, the increase in heat you are feeling is probably good, the fans are throwing more air into the cleaner heatsink, which is causing more heat to transfer to this air. 

11 hours ago, TrainingWheeels said:

Back when I had an Omen laptop with a newer six core and a 1070, I had around the same issues. I cleaned the thing up and put liquid metal, like you did, but did not see a whole lot of improvement. The difference here is that your CPU and GPU are sharing the same heat pipes and sink, so like you said, this is going to cause both to saturate quicker. From what I can gather of your post, the increase in heat you are feeling is probably good, the fans are throwing more air into the cleaner heatsink, which is causing more heat to transfer to this air. 

Yeah I think it's definitely improved removing heat from the CPU & GPU dies which is a positive but the heatsink on this "thin" gaming notebook saturates very easily and therefore it looks like there is very little improvement from a temperature wise stance. Currently, dabbling with an under-volt on the CPU to see whether this can help the situation.