can my cat sleep on my pc?

Nick Ger
6 minutes ago, Nick Ger said:

im sure everything is grounded but will it create static electricity i dont want to damage my motherboard.

It's absolutely fine. You'll just want to clean inside your PC more often because of the cat hair. It really builds up. Trust me.

The only potential problems I see involve cat hair getting into your PC clogging fans/heatsinks and reduced airflow in case the cat is blocking important ventilation holes while sleeping on your PC.

Only if you get pictures of the cat 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" -Kernal Sanders
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer specs: i7 8700, GTX 1650 OC 4GB, 64GB 2666 MHz DDR4 RAM, Asus B360M-A Motherboard, Acer GN246HL Monitor.
Hardware: Razer Blackwidow V3, Razer Deathadder essential, Kraken Tournament Edition Headset.

Benchmark link

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It should be fine, but also is there any way to keep your cat off your PC

Your power supply should be grounded so if you have any dangous issues of static build up should leave through the ground

1 minute ago, TrainsRule said:

Your power supply should be grounded so if you have any dangous issues of static build up should leave through the ground

keyword is should!

electrostatic buildup SHOULD discharge through the grounding plane.

many factors, but the majority of the time your good to go.

Unless you have a really open pc case then your cats not going to be touching any pc parts.

So itll be fine.

When my daughter had her cat it was always laying on top of her pc when she was on it. Outside of scratches and paw prints there was nothing to worry about.

18 hours ago, Nick Ger said:

im sure everything is grounded but will it create static electricity i dont want to damage my motherboard.

im not an expert but it should be fine 

all no components would be affected if static electricity where to build up since your psu should be grounding your system

just make sure that your cat isn't going to cause your system to over heat by covering fans or other cooling components

Ryzen 7 5800x, eVGA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti XC 8GB, Kingston Fury 32GB 3200 MHz, Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 250GB M.2, 3X Seagate 1TB HDD 7200Rpm, 2TB Seagate HDD, Cooler Master V 750W 80PLUS Gold Full Modular Power Supply, CoolerMaster N200

yes cat can sleep on pc cat can use pc too 

cat can stand on counter cat can stand on table cat eats all the food

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

On 12/2/2019 at 4:21 AM, TrainsRule said:

He's talking about static from the cat's fur.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Cats like warm things.  This often means computer vents.  They also like to be where your attention is.  You’re doubly cursed.  Static though?  No.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

This is the best question that was asked in here heh. But yeah, the truth is that you should keep an eye on your pc's vents... that's all.

On 12/1/2019 at 4:41 AM, Nick Ger said:

Yes, assuming you assembled the PC correctly, and it's properly grounded. Also assuming this is a desktop tower.

The only "risk" (not really a problem, just more maintenance) with a cat sleeping on a computer, is simply the intake fans sucking in cat fur. If your intake is filtered, it's easier - just clean the filter every week or so.

If it's not filtered - consider installing filters. If you can't, or won't, then I'd recommend cleaning your computer once a month, especially making sure to blow out any heatsinks.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Please post pictures of your cat sleeping on your PC, it'll be so cute.

Regarding your concerns, there shouldn't be any urgent issues. You should just clean inside of your PC more often as cat hairs can get everywhere.

3 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Put a box next to your computer.

Cats like boxes... right?

They do.  They’re ambush predators.  They’re also desert animals.  Maybe a heat lamp too.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

my GF's cat puked over my server and shorted out one of the PSU's so yes, cats can damage your rig. but not in the way you think.

RIP HP DL380 G6. you'll never be forgotten

17 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

my GF's cat puked over my server and shorted out one of the PSU's so yes, cats can damage your rig. but not in the way you think.

RIP HP DL380 G6. you'll never be forgotten

There used to be this meme titled “stink different” about a guy who had a cat that peed on his Apple laptop keyboard because it was jealous of the attention the computer got”

I wanted to post the pic but google can’t seem to find it.

best solution is to build a second pc for yourself to use since the cat has claimed yours.  repeat until any additional cat has their own pc.... which they will then ignore and continue to use yours

mine always sleep up top by the exhaust fans but ive never seen an issue with thermals or hair getting inside.    occasionally she hits the power button so thinking of adding a kill switch like jayz2cents had in a video

note the perfectly fine unused bed in the photo

Snapchat-1924228528.jpg

AMD Ryzen 9 5900x | Gigabyte Aorus Master x570s | Corsair Dominator Platinum (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 | GeForce RTX 3080 VISION OC 10G | Lian iO1Dyamic | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1000W | Acer Predator X34 P | Acer XB271HU | NZXT Kraken Z73

After years of PC building, cleaning etc - I do not allow my cats to do this anymore.  Cats are just plain gross.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case