New Ryzen 7 2700 Running Hot

Go to solution Solved by Dusky Crow,

After some googling I came across a thread in Tom's Hardware, and someone had my same issue. Someone recommended he download Ryzen's overclocking application, to get a read on the temperatures. And sure enough, the temperatures are pretty normal on Ryzen's app. I could put on my tin-foil hat and say AMD is just making their CPU appear better, but I think this is just a case of programs not being to properly read the CPU's temps.

The app displays my temp at a nice and cozy 26.5C.

So unless I have any other problems indicating a temperature problem, I think this is resolved.

Thanks for the help everyone.

AMD's Ryzen Master Utility tool can be downloaded here should anyone else have my same problem: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master

This is my first attempt at an install of not only a motherboard, but also a CPU. After getting it all set up, I opened up Speccy to see how the temps were, and it's reading 75-85 on idle. (I read 91 at one point)

Since this is my first attempt at something like this, not exactly sure where to begin troubleshooting. What I know so far:

1. I applied a generous amount of thermal paste, so I don't think the problem lies there. (More specifically, what I assume is the paste that comes already on the cooler, in addition to some third party thermal paste on top of that.)

2. I struggled a bit get the CPU cooler on, but all the screws I believe are tightened down all the way.

3. System door is open, so air intake shouldn't be a problem.

4. I am using the stock AMD cooler that comes with the Ryzen 7 2700.

5. All my fans are running at max with the fan speed options on my Stormtrooper Coolermaster case.

If anyone could help me with this i'd be very grateful.

You shouldn't add paste onto the paste so you probably have too much. Maybe your fan configuration is messed up?

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

7 minutes ago, Dusky Crow said:

This is my first attempt at an install of not only a motherboard, but also a CPU. After getting it all set up, I opened up Speccy to see how the temps were, and it's reading 75-85 on idle. (I read 91 at one point)

Since this is my first attempt at something like this, not exactly sure where to begin troubleshooting. What I know so far:

1. I applied a generous amount of thermal paste, so I don't think the problem lies there. (More specifically, what I assume is the paste that comes already on the cooler, in addition to some third party thermal paste on top of that.)

2. I struggled a bit get the CPU cooler on, but all the screws I believe are tightened down all the way.

3. System door is open, so air intake shouldn't be a problem.

4. I am using the stock AMD cooler that comes with the Ryzen 7 2700.

5. All my fans are running at max with the fan speed options on my Stormtrooper Coolermaster case.

If anyone could help me with this i'd be very grateful.

Could possibly be a bad mount. And the thermal paste thing the other guy said. You could try taking the cooler off, removing the "old" thermal paste and put some of the 3rd party only and then remounting with criss cross pattern ofcourse. 

13 minutes ago, mxk said:

You shouldn't add paste onto the paste so you probably have too much. Maybe your fan configuration is messed up?

I applied a generous amount of thermal paste, so I don't think the problem lies there. (More specifically, what I assume is the paste that comes already on the cooler, in addition to some third party thermal paste on top of that.)

Oooh, i'm having The Verge flashbacks now.

'Stock' pre-applied TIM are more than enough. You don't mix two different TIMs, replace that mess, apply peanut-sized drop on it and 'paint' the IHS with it using a credit card, it should cover entire IHS as thin as possible, but some excess are okay, it'll just squished out with the mounting pressure.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

9 minutes ago, Juular said:

'Stock' pre-applied TIM are more than enough. You don't mix two different TIMs, replace that mess, apply peanut-sized drop on it and 'paint' the IHS with it using a credit card, it should cover entire IHS as thin as possible, but some excess are okay, it'll just squished out with the mounting pressure.

Ah man. That sucks. Guess i'll get to removing it here in a second and share results.

1 hour ago, Juular said:

1 hour ago, Joshcanread said:

Could possibly be a bad mount. And the thermal paste thing the other guy said. You could try taking the cooler off, removing the "old" thermal paste and put some of the 3rd party only and then remounting with criss cross pattern ofcourse. 

1 hour ago, mxk said:

So unfortunately, the thermal paste doesn't seem to be the problem. I cleaned it up real nice with some isopropyl alcohol and got most of it off save for some negligible smudges. Put about a grain of rice worth on it this time and my CPU temps are the same. Still just sitting here idle and it is fluctuating around 74-85 (with a max of 93).

Where should I begin the search next?

After some googling I came across a thread in Tom's Hardware, and someone had my same issue. Someone recommended he download Ryzen's overclocking application, to get a read on the temperatures. And sure enough, the temperatures are pretty normal on Ryzen's app. I could put on my tin-foil hat and say AMD is just making their CPU appear better, but I think this is just a case of programs not being to properly read the CPU's temps.

The app displays my temp at a nice and cozy 26.5C.

So unless I have any other problems indicating a temperature problem, I think this is resolved.

Thanks for the help everyone.

AMD's Ryzen Master Utility tool can be downloaded here should anyone else have my same problem: https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master