Need recommendations for a good router

Virgule

Hi all,

I currently have a Trendnet TEW652brp and I sometimes experience lag and an unstable connection. I also don't feel like I'm benefiting of my IPS package in its entirety (cable, 10Mbs down, 3Mbs up). I have a bunch of mining rigs in the office room, plus my desktop that are connected to my wireless network. Add to that a laptop, 2 iphones, an ipad and appleTV, and I'm beginning to think we might be testing limits of our router's capabilities. Note that the rigs and desktop are all using the same wireless usb adapter (TP link WN822N), so I don't know if some sort of interference could be causing these issues. Also, I think my metal and glass desktop table may have something to do with it as well.

However, I think that I would be due for a good performance router. I am not really knowledgeable on these things and turn to this forum for advice. I think I would benefit from dual-band and wireless AC. I would also like a usb port for home streaming from an external hard drive or usb stick. An easy interface would also be a plus. Something that supports wake on lan and/or a custom firmware that does would interest me. I think a 150 $CAN budget would be reasonable in order to be able to find something that performs well.

What do you guys think ? 

Spoiler

if you have an old PC sitting around then you can make your own with pfsence.

not really an option. I mean i could build a mini itx cheapo pc but I think investing that same amount in a good router, I'd get the best router ever.

Spoiler

Its an option, but it might not work with custom firmware.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

Its an option, but it might not work with custom firmware.

Its own firmware should be pretty decent for what I need right ?

Spoiler