GPU stutter (5700 XT)

Hey, Yesterday  (black Friday) I bought a new Rog strix rx 5700 XT for my PC and I am experiencing stuttering (large fluctuations in frame times). I previously had an msi rx 570 8gb, and I used DDU to uninstall amd and Intel graphics drivers (didn’t re install the intel drivers if that has anything to do with it) and started fresh with the newest amd drivers for the 5700 XT. When I play games there is random stuttering which is really frustrating as this is a much newer, and better card, and I didn’t experience this issue with my old rx 570!

My computer specs:

CPU: i7-8700k

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370P D3 (this is a low end motherboard could this be the issue?)

GPU: Rog Strix Rx 5700 XT

PSU: EVGA 650 W gold 

RAM: 16 gb DDR4 Ripjaws 3200 MHz 

Storage: XPG 480 GB M.2 drive

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

reinstall windows, since imnot user dx 12 , i install windows 8.1 core edition debloated, new install driver with driver easy and see wath happens.

Thanks for the reply! Is there something else I can do ( a little less technical ) rather than reinstalling windows (and possibly a new version)???

1 hour ago, William... said:

But I will definitely try driver easy!

your pc is ok components, your issue i just software or a component have a malfuncion or heating.

start with fresh install windows debloated and try driver easy with last drivers of everything and lets see wath happen.

11 hours ago, muito_gostoso said:

your pc is ok components, your issue i just software or a component have a malfuncion or heating.

start with fresh install windows debloated and try driver easy with last drivers of everything and lets see wath happen.

Ok, I’ll give reinstalling windows and drivers a try! I also have one quick question, is my motherboard any good, should I upgrade my motherboard? Thanks for taking the the time to help me out! 

I've been having some similar issues with my Asus AMD 5700xt. After running a DDU, I eventually reinstalled Windows and was still having a weird stutter issue. I ended up uninstalling AMD Settings and just leaving the current recommended driver and the issue went away. Currently using GPU Tweak II for a slight OC. Without AMD Settings you can't turn on Freesync but I haven't noticed any issues so far.

I have a 5700XT reference card. The stuttering has been a thing since the card was released. I don't have this issue under Linux which is great, but under Windows it seems to come and go a lot, which kind of sucks. I did however find that disabling enhanced sync and keeping the frame rate  under 120, makes it a lot less noticeable and less frequent. Until AMD fixes there driver, hopefully in the upcoming update. It's something you kind of have to live with. This also seems to be a hit or miss issue as well, with no real link to what actually causes it. AMD has identified it as a issue however.

55 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

I have a 5700XT reference card. The stuttering has been a thing since the card was released. I don't have this issue under Linux which is great, but under Windows it seems to come and go a lot, which kind of sucks. I did however find that disabling enhanced sync and keeping the frame rate  under 120, makes it a lot less noticeable and less frequent. Until AMD fixes there driver, hopefully in the upcoming update. It's something you kind of have to live with. This also seems to be a hit or miss issue as well, with no real link to what actually causes it. AMD has identified it as a issue however.

Yeah I was going to comment that what the OP is describing is a common issue with the 5700 XT.  That being said, the current 19.12.1 Hotfix released 2 days ago specifically states it fixed an issue with stuttering in some circumstances so if he isn't using the absolutely latest drive he might want to try that as well.  

Also as you say, the issues with the 5700 series cards seem to be really hit or miss.  Most people seem to not be having much trouble if at all with the 5700 XT but there are some people who have a massively amount of issues and as you say, no link has actually been established as to why this is occurring.

As for troubleshooting, I don't think reinstalling windows, as others have suggested, is the solution.  I think it is really going to have to come down to AMD nailing down just what is causing the issues and putting out an driver update.   It will eventually happen, we just don't know how long eventually might be.   

1 hour ago, Nayr438 said:

Thank you, I am going to let my system download AMD settings again with this new driver update and try it with enhanced sync off. Probably going to uninstall GPU Tweak II first though. On the first Windows 10 image I was on, I could not get the system to boot when both were installed. atikmdag.sys SSE every time even when GPU Tweak II wasn't set to open on start up. Just prefer GPU TWEAK II to WattMan.

16 hours ago, Patrick A said:

Thank you, I am going to let my system download AMD settings again with this new driver update and try it with enhanced sync off. Probably going to uninstall GPU Tweak II first though. On the first Windows 10 image I was on, I could not get the system to boot when both were installed. atikmdag.sys SSE every time even when GPU Tweak II wasn't set to open on start up. Just prefer GPU TWEAK II to WattMan.

Some people have mentioned that using MSI Afterburner, and other GPU Monitoring or tweaking tools have caused driver instability. I never had a issue with MSI Afterburner being used for just displaying stats in the overlay, but I did notice very odd behavior when trying to set fan curves or overclocking via MSI Afterburner. Setting custom fan profiles or overclocks would cause a lot of instability, just setting a custom fan curve would cause artifacting in some cases and half the time would cause the fans to ramp up to full speed, however when settings were set through WattMan, the issues never arose. It is possible that AMD's own software has some sort of conflict with using a third party tool.

2 hours ago, Nayr438 said:

Some people have mentioned that using MSI Afterburner, and other GPU Monitoring or tweaking tools have caused driver instability. I never had a issue with MSI Afterburner being used for just displaying stats in the overlay, but I did notice very odd behavior when trying to set fan curves or overclocking via MSI Afterburner. Setting custom fan profiles or overclocks would cause a lot of instability, just setting a custom fan curve would cause artifacting in some cases and half the time would cause the fans to ramp up to full speed, however when settings were set through WattMan, the issues never arose. It is possible that AMD's own software has some sort of conflict with using a third party tool.

Actually most of what your saying here is or has been a known issue for the drivers.  Overlays seem to cause issues, custom fan curves seem to cause issues, third party OC tools seem to cause issues.  This makes me wonder if the reason why people are having issues has more to do with third party software and fiddling around with the settings on the card than anything else. 

Honestly, I wonder if people are having issues with the drivers when all they are doing is installing the card, installing the drivers and leaving everything else alone.

• 4 weeks later...

I have found that the only thing that causes stutter and dropped frames, for me, is custom fan curves on my Gigabyte 5700xt OC. even a flat custom curve.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2019 at 12:03 AM, fsi22 said:

I have found that the only thing that causes stutter and dropped frames, for me, is custom fan curves on my Gigabyte 5700xt OC. even a flat custom curve.

I created an account in order to reply for stuttering issue.

My card is a Sapphire RX 5700 XT Nitro+.

I tested so far with 19.7.3, 19.12.1, 19.12.2 and 19.12.3.

The stuttering as fsi22 said, occurs whenever I set a custom fan curve tweaking the fan speed or/and target temperatures. It seems that the problem is the transition from the one P. State to the next one. It is like the values on P. States are somehow "hard-locked" by the driver. However I have found a workaround, you can set a flat fan speed with for example 50%, 55% or even more fan speed (i set 55%) and for target temperatures you have to set the following:

P1=25c

P2=30c

P3=35c

P4=95c

P5=100c

With this fan setup there is no stuttering as the junction temperature stays always between  40c and 90c, so there is no any transition between P. States.

Another issue I found is that if you open the Radeon software for any reason with 19.12.3 driver (this problem does not exist with 19.12.1), then the CPU voltage stuck on its highest value as if the CPU operates in full load. The problem insists even if you close the Radeon software. The only solution is to kill the process (radeon settings host application) through the task manager.     

One other issue i found with the 2020 drivers is if you use msi afterburner and then also enable auto tuning/Radeon boost/Radeon auto overclocking(i cant remember the exact name) the 2020 drivers fight with msi afterburner to set the gpu clock speed and they go back and forth with the card causing some very odd studders. Good luck

On 12/4/2019 at 12:16 PM, MrTiC said:

Turn enchanced sync off and see if its better (had the same problem)

That worked for me as well...enhanced sync was causing stuttering and freezing in Assassins Creed. I turned it off under AMD and used the in-game settings and everything worked like a charm.