Mechanical Keyboard suggestion

Electric_Spark

So I’m helping my friend build his first gaming PC, and we were testing out keyboards at Best Buy, and he likes cherry Mx Browns, but he wants something with short travel time as he is used to Mac keyboards. Also preferably rgb. Any suggestions?

get A Mac keyboard?  They’re USB.  It should work fine.  The windows key is the Apple key. Control was annoying as I recall.  Might require some key mapping.

there should be numerous chicklet keyboards around.  The Mac keyboard is basically a really good chicklet keyboard.  It might also just be the flat buttons he likes.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Apple has wireless/wired Magic Keyboards for sale. You can feel them by going to the Apple section and typing on an iMac. Drivers will work and only a few keys are remapped as described above by @Bombastinator

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

get A Mac keyboard?  They’re USB.  It should work fine.  The windows key is the Apple key. Control was annoying as I recall.  Might require some key mapping.

there should be numerous chicklet keyboards around.  The Mac keyboard is basically a really good chicklet keyboard.  It might also just be the flat buttons he likes.

He wants to upgrade to a more gamer keyboard, not Mac. Sorry for confusion

A buckling spring keyboard could work if you could find one.  IBM mostly.  They last forever though.  PS2 or that even older port.  You don’t want one of those, you can’t connect it to anything.  iirc the really old Mac keyboards were buckling spring.  They’re always clicky though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

This may be something your friend would like. It features low profile mechanical switches, flatter key caps similar to the chicklet style, and it has RGB. I prefer MX Brows as well, while I haven't used this keyboard specifically, my keyboard is made by the same company and I've been happy with mine for years.  

8 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

A buckling spring keyboard could work if you could find one.  IBM mostly.  They last forever though.  PS2 or that even older port.  You don’t want one of those, you can’t connect it to anything.  iirc the really old Mac keyboards were buckling spring.  They’re always clicky though.

Ok, just to clarify, he wants a gamer keyboard, with brown switches, and low profile. Not Mac or IBM. Any brands like Corsair, Logitech, Hyperx, or Redragon have something like that you know of?

Just now, Founders said:

This may be something your friend would like. It features low profile mechanical switches, flatter key caps similar to the chicklet style, and it has RGB. I prefer MX Brows as well, while I haven't used this keyboard specifically, my keyboard is made by the same company and I've been happy with mine for years.  

Are those Cherry Mx reds? Even so he may like this

Has he tried different switches and different keyboards? Does he have a budget, and any preferred form factors?

:)

2 minutes ago, Electric_Spark said:

Are those Cherry Mx reds? Even so he may like this

Yes, they are.

2 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Has he tried different switches and different keyboards? Does he have a budget, and any preferred form factors?

He likes brown switches, and his budget is below 100

8 minutes ago, Electric_Spark said:

He likes brown switches, and his budget is below 100

It seems you missed a few of the things I asked

11 minutes ago, seon123 said:

:)

Because of the way that 99.99% of chiclet keys work, you won't find one (an external one under $100 anyway) that's gonna have "g4m3r features" like nkro and whatnot, never mind the RGB.

Like the lowest profile switches that are fairly readily available and are mechanical are Kailh's low profile switches but you may want to build a keyboard with them as the prebuilt ones tend to be expensive iirc

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈