PlayStation 2 HDMI adapter

Zodiark1593
Go to solution Solved by PlayStation 2,
1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

The set I have I got from Walmart. Not sure if they're exactly quality, though they're drastically better than the original Composite cable 

The problem is that my TV only has connections for Composite. I can't do Component, hence the need for some form of Component to HDMI.

I agree that the cheap PS2 to HDMI adaptors are largely rubbish. I'm trying to find something that's a decisive step up from the cheapo adaptors, yet also isn't up there in the OSSC pricing territory. I don't see much that sits in-between (price-wise) though, and those that I've seen are on "pre-order".

No personal experience with any Component to HDMI adapter boxes but I wonder if this'd serve your needs:

https://www.amazon.com/Easycel-Component-Converter-Supports-Projector/dp/B07CL1JS54/

If this were me, I'd just throw my desktop onto that TV and just use my capture card to convert the signal, but admittedly, that's a far pricier route that'll most definitely start approaching the OSSC.

I got a new 4K tv for the bedroom yesterday to replace my old HiSense 768P TV I'd been using for both my PS2 and PC. A very monstrous upgrade for using it with my PC, but the sole downside is losing Component inputs. (The tv has Composite In, but the quality is comparatively lousy).

I tried one HDMI converter solution that used the PS2s component outputs (allowing some games to output 480P), and with some tweaking, the quality was serviceable, but the audio died 30 minutes in, so I returned the thing. 

Thought about getting a OSSC, but for just the PS2, the high price is not acceptable, and the tv handles upscaling well enough anyway that external upscaling isn't necessary. Any good products to look at?

There was one inexpensive adapter from Pound Tech I looked at, though it only supports the console's Composite Outputs, which kind of defeats the entire purpose of this post.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

6 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I got a new 4K tv for the bedroom yesterday to replace my old HiSense 768P TV I'd been using for both my PS2 and PC. A very monstrous upgrade for using it with my PC, but the sole downside is losing Component inputs. (The tv has Composite In, but the quality is comparatively lousy).

I tried one HDMI converter solution that used the PS2s component outputs (allowing some games to output 480P), and with some tweaking, the quality was serviceable, but the audio died 30 minutes in, so I returned the thing. 

Thought about getting a OSSC, but for just the PS2, the high price is not acceptable, and the tv handles upscaling well enough anyway that external upscaling isn't necessary. Any good products to look at?

There was one inexpensive adapter from Pound Tech I looked at, though it only supports the console's Composite Outputs, which kind of defeats the entire purpose of this post.

1.jpg

3.jpg

Hmm...

What component cables would you happen to have currently? I really wouldn't look into the mediocre PS2 to HDMI adapters that are literally fucking everywhere, not worth your time or money.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

26 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Hmm...

What component cables would you happen to have currently? I really wouldn't look into the mediocre PS2 to HDMI adapters that are literally fucking everywhere, not worth your time or money.

The set of Component cables I have I got from Walmart a long time ago. Not sure if they're exactly quality, though they're drastically better than the original Composite cable. Best way I can describe the build quality is "Inexpensive but not cheap".

The problem is that my TV only has connections for Composite. I can't do Component, hence the need for some form of Component to HDMI.

I agree that the cheap PS2 to HDMI adaptors are largely rubbish. I'm trying to find something that's a decisive step up from the cheapo adaptors, yet also isn't up there in the OSSC pricing territory. I don't see much that sits in-between (price-wise) though, and those that I've seen are on "pre-order".

My eyes see the past…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

The set I have I got from Walmart. Not sure if they're exactly quality, though they're drastically better than the original Composite cable 

No personal experience with any Component to HDMI adapter boxes but I wonder if this'd serve your needs:

https://www.amazon.com/Easycel-Component-Converter-Supports-Projector/dp/B07CL1JS54/

If this were me, I'd just throw my desktop onto that TV and just use my capture card to convert the signal, but admittedly, that's a far pricier route that'll most definitely start approaching the OSSC.

11 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Amusingly I have a desktop here already. This tv (owing to lack of space) pulls double duty for both TV and monitor. I probably wouldn't have bothered with a 4k set otherwise. Though capture cards aren't cheap either if memory serves. Admittedly, having to rely on my desktop to play the PS2 isn't the most appealing solution in the world.

Will check out the link though and see if anyone on other forums has tried it 

My eyes see the past…

6 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Amusingly I have a desktop here already. This tv (owing to lack of space) pulls double duty for both TV and monitor. I probably wouldn't have bothered with a 4k set otherwise. Though capture cards aren't cheap either if memory serves. Admittedly, having to rely on my desktop to play the PS2 isn't the most appealing solution in the world.

Will check out the link though and see if anyone on other forums has tried it 

I actually use a capture card, in part, to convert whatever so I can record it, but it also does wonders on a 2560x1600 monitor, especially when it comes to upscaling via OBS.

It's a bit of a mishmashed solution, but it's worked damn near perfectly for me. Unfortunately, my capture card is a bit mediocre in the audio department, so a separate RCA to 3.5mm adapter has serviced me well for audio.

And yeah, the capture card route isn't all that cheap. Again, depending on how you go, you'll easily be spending $50+ down that rabbit hole.

1 minute ago, handymanshandle said:

I actually use a capture card, in part, to convert whatever so I can record it, but it also does wonders on a 2560x1600 monitor, especially when it comes to upscaling via OBS.

It's a bit of a mishmashed solution, but it's worked damn near perfectly for me. Unfortunately, my capture card is a bit mediocre in the audio department, so a separate RCA to 3.5mm adapter has serviced me well for audio.

And yeah, the capture card route isn't all that cheap. Again, depending on how you go, you'll easily be spending $50+ down that rabbit hole.

Retro gaming (can the PS2 be called "retro"?) is a bloody rabbit hole. ?

https://www.retrorgb.com/unveiling-the-rad2x-hdmi-cables.html

This thing, I guess sort of exists too, in spirit, though I'd heard very little about it anywhere, and it had missed the supposed release date of late October. Unless proven otherwise, I'm not holding out hope.

My eyes see the past…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

Retro gaming (can the PS2 be called "retro"?) is a bloody rabbit hole. ?

https://www.retrorgb.com/unveiling-the-rad2x-hdmi-cables.html

This thing, I guess sort of exists too, in spirit, though I'd heard very little about it anywhere, and it had missed the supposed release date of late October. Unless proven otherwise, I'm not holding out hope.

Well, there's the HD Retrovision PS2 component cables. If that doesn't qualify it for being retro, I dunno what is.

I actually own the HD Retrovision cables and there's genuinely nothing better for the PS2. Video quality's bloody great out of them.

3 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Well, there's the HD Retrovision PS2 component cables. If that doesn't qualify it for being retro, I dunno what is.

I actually own the HD Retrovision cables and there's genuinely nothing better for the PS2. Video quality's bloody great out of them.

The cables could be made of pure gold and cooled to superconductivity. Still doesn't fix the TV not having Component In. ;)

My eyes see the past…

16 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

While the ones for just PS2 are crap, are there any good Component to HDMI converters worth recommending since I already have the Component cables?

My eyes see the past…