RIPPED-OFF on Ebay AGAIN! - Intel "Black Ops" CPU

nicklmg

Utilization is due to lack of microcode for the CPU. I had the same issue with the X5470 modded into a LGA 775 socket. Microcode updated and problem went away.

Credit goes to Prince Xaine on Youtube.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

1 hour ago, SenKa said:

Credit goes to Prince Xaine on Youtube.

this

The question now, is how to get/generate the proper microcode in order for this chip to burn.

Not sure what makes that a ripoff, to me it sounded like he got what he paid for (he warned of the extreme temperature issues and lo and behold, the thing ran hotter than Florida in a stolen car).

to Linus

#1 i think you should extend the duration in the BIOS to keep the frequency up. If i recall correctly, zero value means default value, which was quite short duration (video 12:57)

#2 this is C602 motherboard, not x79. It doesnt have any feature of x79. (video 2:23)

#3 for some reason, BIOS in this x79 mobos use CPU on 100% (video 8:01)

#4 can you please make video also about the 16DIMM version of dual 2011 socket chinase mobo? ? 

Intel i7-3930k (6C/12T@4.5GHz), 8x 8GB DDR3 CL8 1600, AMD R9-390x 8GB

Ebay the nest of scammers, if you're lucky they send you extra stuff, hoping you'll keep buying from them

14 minutes ago, redbread123 said:

what is micro code? size 1 font code?

In the simplest terms, Intel Microcode is a layer of coding between the CPU and BIOS that acts like both a security measure (though... not always a great one) and a translator. The BIOS does not talk directly to the CPU, and the CPU does not talk directly to the BIOS.

In this case, bad microcode is kind of like an Afrikaans (a dutch rooted language) and Dutch speaker trying to communicate. They can kind of get the gist, but not all the information spoken is perceived accurately on the other side.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 

6 minutes ago, SenKa said:

In the simplest terms, Intel Microcode is a layer of coding between the CPU and BIOS that acts like both a security measure (though... not always a great one) and a translator. The BIOS does not talk directly to the CPU, and the CPU does not talk directly to the BIOS.

In this case, bad microcode is kind of like an Afrikaans (a dutch rooted language) and Dutch speaker trying to communicate. They can kind of get the gist, but not all the information spoken is perceived accurately on the other side.

damn, i see what you did there, nelson mandela, dutch colony afrikaans is their language, lmao ( i just learned this in school)

4 minutes ago, redbread123 said:

damn, i see what you did there, nelson mandela, dutch colony afrikaans is their language, lmao ( i just learned this in school)

My family is south african, so that is the first thing that came to mind to me :D

Useful threads: 

Spoiler

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, SenKa said:

My family is south african, so that is the first thing that came to mind to me :D

oh, I tried flexing my freshman history knowledge lol

7 hours ago, tech.guru said:

poor linus always being ripped off

well linus sure aint poor moneywise, but he does like clickbait titles and clickbait thumbnail pictures.

3 hours ago, SolidSonicTH said:

Not sure what makes that a ripoff, to me it sounded like he got what he paid for (he warned of the extreme temperature issues and lo and behold, the thing ran hotter than Florida in a stolen car).

yeah i know right, sounds to me like linus is getting 'ripped off' on purpose, to make a video, and acting like he is really getting ripped off, but not, just making a video and acting to fill a video stream.

1 hour ago, bj0rn said:

Ebay the nest of scammers, if you're lucky they send you extra stuff, hoping you'll keep buying from them

lol so true, but atleast with ebay the buyer has recourse. try doing the same with the likes of alibaba, aliexpress or any of the dozens of other platforms for china sellers.

which makes me wonder, did linus contact seller for a full refund?

could be a wise video to produce to put an extra video into his channel. more money

1 hour ago, amdorintel said:

well linus sure aint poor moneywise, but he does like clickbait titles and clickbait thumbnail pictures.

yeah i know right, sounds to me like linus is getting 'ripped off' on purpose, to make a video, and acting like he is really getting ripped off, but not, just making a video and acting to fill a video stream.

lol so true, but atleast with ebay the buyer has recourse. try doing the same with the likes of alibaba, aliexpress or any of the dozens of other platforms for china sellers.

which makes me wonder, did linus contact seller for a full refund?

could be a wise video to produce to put an extra video into his channel. more money

Once you bought something off en Ebay seller there is not much you can do, once you received the goods you cant report it for scam or receive back your money. Usually they use burner accounts aswell.

1 minute ago, bj0rn said:

Once you bought something off en Ebay seller there is not much you can do, once you received the goods you cant report it for scam or receive back your money. Usually they use burner accounts aswell.

true on the burner account, but thats why the savvy buyer looks at items sold by seller and their reputation.

plenty of times i saw a great deal, saw they sold 10 units at 100% and i said fuck that.

but even if its a burner account, or you know its shady as fuck but you buy anyways lots of recourse actions via ebay itself, paypal or the credit card linked to the paypal. also you have to follow ebays policy on the right course of action to take, ive seen plenty a story where they seller plays the buyer like a fiddle and the money is long gone. the ole yea it will be there in a week game, for 4 months straight. lots of games to play

Wait, some CPUs have a low tcase/max temp, such as the E5-26xxL cpus (i.e. e5-2650L v2) which has a Tcase Max of 65c compared to the 75 or higher of other CPUs. It might be that this chip has such a low tCase, like 55c or lower, to achieve better freq. scaling. Perhaps next time try with sub-ambient cooling.

Also, to all of you previously, Linus bought these CPU's fully aware that it's probably a scam, but he makes much more $$ so he probably turned a profit. Also, PP G&S will hold the money for a while so you can get a refund, and they side with buyer 90% of the time.

There is most definitely a microcode issue. I am running a 3570K on a Z77A-GD65 and if I flash the bios I modded (with latest microcode and intel ME updates) it shows up as whatever speed I set in BIOS but I get capped out at %75 CPU usage if I set my cpu back to 4.5ghz. (Funny enough, a 3570K running at stock 3.4ghz would mean %75 of the processing power compared to 4.5ghz.) I had 3 different make and model motherboards and Gigabyte one was the only one that would run my CPU at advertised speed and clocks despite running latest MC and ME modded to bios.

Things I can suggest: Use Unified Bios Updater to manually flash earlier MC and/or ME. If that fails use the absolute latest MC and ME from intel and see if that helps.

If all else fails, try with a gigabyte board running latest MC and ME.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

These clickbait titles are getting really bad....?‍♂️

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

15 hours ago, tech.guru said:

poor linus always being ripped off

that's what happens when you buy what is clearly a scam

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I feel like the thumbnail gives a look at what LInus would look like with a beard...

The 80~86% CPU usage is more like a windows task manager bug, as long as the CPU doesn't work at its stock speed, it won't show 100% usage.

There's likely a workaround to run this chip at its stock speed, simply replace the OS with Windows 7/Server 2008 R2, because Windows versions newer than Windows 8 have restrictions on certain Ivy-Bridge E/EP processors' core ratio. Or ThrottleStop can also do the trick. There're cases where a ivy-bridge Xeon cannot run at maximum turbo core ratio on Windows Server 2019 but can run at higher core clocks on Windows Server 2008 R2 and reaching 100% CPU usage.

Of all the things to make me register on the forum, this was it. Linus you didn't get ripped off, or at least not for the reason you think.

You need to pair that chip with a good overclocking board from that era, like the Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4. This board has been my daily driver since late 2013 (soon to be decommissioned). While looking for more info on my board after watching the video I came across this old review on it from proclockers: https://proclockers.com/reviews/motherboards/gigabyte-ga-x79-up4

It sounds like they got a i7-3930K to OC to 4.6 on this board back in 2012. I think this could be a real Intel limited run of top binned silicon with extreme OC baked in, or its a hacked chip with extreme OC and a a fake heat spreader.

At first after I though the 'Black Ops' could be a cool upgrade for my old system (I'm sure it would pair well with my g.skill sniper memory), but now i think i would just be better off buying an old extreme series and cranking up the OC to do the same thing.

Get well soon Linus.