What is the most durable Keyboard on the market?

JMSOG

TL:DR, I need to find a keyboard that can take a massive beating and still work long-term.

Longer story:

My mom is a heavy, fast typer. She claims that this is a combination of having learned to type on a typewriter, and having previously had jobs that required a high word-per-minute type rate. This translates to her typing having the equivalent destructive force of machinegun fire. She loves spending a significant amount of time playing typing games online as well, which means that she breaks keyboards very quickly.

About two/three years ago, I thought I would counter this by getting her an unbelievably good keyboard: the Corsair K65. It's built incredibly well, and I thought that the speed switches would be nice to type on. Plus, my keyboard is a K95 (basically a k65 with more features), and I love it, so I thought that she would too.

Well, it lasted longer than any keyboard she has ever had, but in the last year keys have literally started to fly off the keyboard while she types. It's kind of hilarious.

My initial thought is to just get her another K65. Like i said, it lasted longer for her than any keyboard before, and she says that she loves it. But: I got that keyboard because I thought it would last 10 years, not 3. So doing it again feels like a massive waste.

Like I said, her typing is absolutely destructive. I thought it would be a good idea to crowdsource information on this one: are there any keyboards more durable than the K65 on the market?

My Build, "Helios"

CPU: 5950x with Noctua NH-D15

GPU: MSI 2080ti

Case: BE QUIET! Dark Base 900 Pro

Storage: Samsung 970  pro 500gb (boot drive), unknown 2tb Seagate drive, 4tb WD Black drive

PSU: Corsair HX1000i

RAM: (4x8) Trident Z RGB

Remote PC Starter Kit

Get a Model M or basically any other vintage keyboard.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

How about getting a keyboard that's actually halfway decent...? Even Corsair's highest end keyboards cheap out on.... pretty much everything...? Software, switches, stabilisers and keycaps.

There are a bunch of custom keyboards on the market. Check out KBDFans and Drop. With custom keyboards, you can choose a heavy switch, or just get heavier springs. You can also get a new IBM Model F for about $400, which should be built fairly well.

:)

I don't think any mechanical switches on the market are designed to withstand that level of beating. But there a new trend for optical switches, i think they should be right on spot for your needs but they may be expensive. And make sure to get 'clicky\tactile' switches, as linear ones aren't very convenient to type on.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

6 minutes ago, Juular said:

I don't think any mechanical switches on the market are designed to withstand that level of beating. But there a new trend for optical switches, i think they should be right on spot for your needs but they may be expensive. And make sure to get 'clicky\tactile' switches, as linear ones aren't very convenient to type on.

Yeah your average shit linears suck for typing. I fucking hated them until I tried linearized black Alps.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

KBC Poker, rock solid construction

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!