Should I return this XB271HU because of backlight bleed?

hofer

Hello guys,

After receiving my XB271HU, I performed several tests on it in order to see how good I fared in the "lottery".

I've detected no dead or stuck pixels. Color uniformity is also great, as can be seen in the following picture (100% White):

20191130_063125.thumb.jpg.d25b32870a3560fb894e9a2c9a9329de.jpg

However, some backlight bleeding was visible on a black screen on a dark room, but I've found it challenging taking a picture that really represents what I really see in this scenario.

At first, I used my cellphone on auto mode and took a picture at normal viewing distance:

perto.thumb.jpg.ee260d2d33463f647124e6e8ead67694.jpg

(Here, BLB/Glow can be seen in almost all corners).

I also took a picture from a greater distance to eliminate the effects of IPS Glow:

longe.thumb.jpg.637aca76a8e778a3b030f4a463c6b88d.jpg

(Here, the uniformity was sightly better, but this is not the distance I sit from the monitor)

I've also took a picture using RTINGS guidelines (https://www.rtings.com/monitor/tests/picture-quality/black-uniformity), which is F4.0, ISO-200 with a 2s shutter speed:

rtings.thumb.JPG.876ebf928a5748fa15278440c841b622.JPG

(This one captured, faintly, the BLBs on right/left bottoms and at the top center).

Finally, I recorded two videos moving around the screen with two different brightness levels:

20% brightness:

100% brightness:

What do you guys think? Is it a good or bad panel? Is the IPS Glow at the edges greater than it is supposed to be due to the presence of backlight bleed?

I have five days to return it, do you guys think I should try another one?

Sincerely,

Hofer

49 minutes ago, hofer said:

Hello guys,

After receiving my XB271HU, I performed several tests on it in order to see how good I fared in the "lottery".

I've detected no dead or stuck pixels. Color uniformity is also great, as can be seen in the following picture (100% White):

~~~SNIP~~~

What do you guys think? Is it a good or bad panel?

I have five days to return it, do you guys think I should try another one?

Sincerely,

Hofer

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/acer/predator-xb271hu

it is a known issue .

If u return it , it is likely u will get another one that could be worse ..the same ..or maybe slightly better, but it will likely still have it non the less.

From the vids and pics i'd say u got a relatively good one. With relatively minor BLB, most of the issue is IPS glow which u correctly state is fixed by adjusting ur viewing position.

That said if ur using this monitor in a dimly lit room, and notice the BLB with ur average content, then i'd suggest u get a different model all together. Either an IPS monitor with good uniformity , of which there are few. or a good VA.

IPS

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/tuf-vg27aq

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/vg279q

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/rog-swift-pg279q 

VA

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s3220dgf

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/32gk850g-b

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

SolarNova,

I appreciate your reply.
One thing that I noticed looking at my monitor again this night is that the last two pictures did not capture the BLB that I am seeing.

I took another one that is a better representation:

bleed.thumb.JPG.9a1ed33b0a5281558f1914c617bbd28e.JPG

Do you still think this is a good one?

Unfortunately, I can't buy the others you said because those aren't available where I live.

I've also read reports of people saying that their bleed decreased after some time.
Do you know if this is true?

18 minutes ago, hofer said:

SolarNova,

I appreciate your reply.
One thing that I noticed looking at my monitor again this night is that the last two pictures did not capture the BLB that I am seeing.

I took another one that is a better representation:

~SNIP~~~

Do you still think this is a good one?

Unfortunately, I can't buy the others you said because those aren't available where I live.

I've also read reports of people saying that their bleed decreased after some time.
Do you know if this is true?

BLB doesnt decrease, its a manufacturing flaw.

You can sometimes, rarely, alter it some by pinching the bezels near the areas of bleed and see if it help, if it does it would require some DIY fix to permanently pinch the area, But its not advisable, could cause damage.

In cases where pressure can help, heat that accumulates over time could potentially cause a slight change (as things expand and contract) in BLB amount for better or worse ..theoretically at least, so its possible i suppose it could change over time but i wouldnt count on it in the slightest.

If the above picture is what u actually see, i would send it back, especially if its noticeable in normal viewing conditions.

But as i said, this model is known to have uniformity issues, many LCD monitors have uniformity issues, its rare to find a model that scores well in uniformity, they exist but there aren't many.

I linked you rtings test results, compare it against theirs.

If u replace it with another of the same model , u could get worse ..ofc u could also get better, or the same. Its a lottery.

Me personally, i couldn't put up with it ..but then again ..i dont use LCD's , i have a Plasma ..and i still use it specifically because of all the issues LCDs have, including uniformity.

Im sorry but In the end its up to u to decide if u can put up with it.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

On 11/30/2019 at 8:13 PM, SolarNova said:

BLB doesnt decrease, its a manufacturing flaw.

You can sometimes, rarely, alter it some by pinching the bezels near the areas of bleed and see if it help, if it does it would require some DIY fix to permanently pinch the area, But its not advisable, could cause damage.

In cases where pressure can help, heat that accumulates over time could potentially cause a slight change (as things expand and contract) in BLB amount for better or worse ..theoretically at least, so its possible i suppose it could change over time but i wouldnt count on it in the slightest.

If the above picture is what u actually see, i would send it back, especially if its noticeable in normal viewing conditions.

But as i said, this model is known to have uniformity issues, many LCD monitors have uniformity issues, its rare to find a model that scores well in uniformity, they exist but there aren't many.

I linked you rtings test results, compare it against theirs.

If u replace it with another of the same model , u could get worse ..ofc u could also get better, or the same. Its a lottery.

Me personally, i couldn't put up with it ..but then again ..i dont use LCD's , i have a Plasma ..and i still use it specifically because of all the issues LCDs have, including uniformity.

Im sorry but In the end its up to u to decide if u can put up with it.

Again, I really appreciate your answers.

This "lottery" thing really makes it hard to make a decision. 

About the BLB, I saw on a Youtube video that gently pulling out the frame where the bleeding is occurring can decrease it.
I did and the result was fantastic:

SAM_1277.thumb.JPG.4ca82a3d4c951bc0262f2dc48f9ae1d4.JPG

Now the monitor has near perfect black uniformity, with almost no back light bleed.

I was really happy with it until I noticed that one pixel that I've previously detected was a little bit off-balance on a white background was "stuck" green on a very specific condition: small black block on a white background.
Further investigating the problem, I've detected that this pixel has a green sub pixel with strange behavior: It turns on proportionally to the average of brightness of the pixels in its column.
When all the column is black, the subpixel is off, so it can't be seen on a black background. That's why I haven't been able to identify it before.

I've uploaded this strange behavior:

Truth is while this bothers me since it can be clearly seen on this synthetic test, it is almost impossible to spot it during normal use, because in darker scenes it will be dimmed and in brighter scenes, it will be difficult to notice because of the surrounding pixels.

Now that the panel has no BLB and has homogeneous white, I am very skeptical that I will get a better screen if I RMA it.

This lottery thing is really soul consuming, lol!

13 hours ago, hofer said:

Again, I really appreciate your answers.

This "lottery" thing really makes it hard to make a decision. 

About the BLB, I saw on a Youtube video that gently pulling out the frame where the bleeding is occurring can decrease it.
I did and the result was fantastic:

Now the monitor has near perfect black uniformity, with almost no back light bleed.

I was really happy with it until I noticed that one pixel that I've previously detected was a little bit off-balance on a white background was "stuck" green on a very specific condition: small black block on a white background.
Further investigating the problem, I've detected that this pixel has a green sub pixel with strange behavior: It turns on proportionally to the average of brightness of the pixels in its column.
When all the column is black, the subpixel is off, so it can't be seen on a black background. That's why I haven't been able to identify it before.

I've uploaded this strange behavior:

Truth is while this bothers me since it can be clearly seen on this synthetic test, it is almost impossible to spot it during normal use, because in darker scenes it will be dimmed and in brighter scenes, it will be difficult to notice because of the surrounding pixels.

Now that the panel has no BLB and has homogeneous white, I am very skeptical that I will get a better screen if I RMA it.

This lottery thing is really soul consuming, lol!

Glad u got the BLB sorted. Luckily it was fixable, results that completely fix, or fix the majority of BLB are rare.

As for the subpixel, while i cant see it in the vid , if it bothers u , u can try one of many 'pixel unstuck' vids on youtube and 'hope' it helps, or take the more direct approach and 'massage' the area, however that in itself is risky, u could make things worse, I dont recommend it on minor issues like this one.

if u dont notice it, i would leave it.