High CPU Temps?

kentonwill

So I recently upgraded from a Ryzen 2600x up to their 3800x (got it for a really good price a couple days ago) and all has gone well except one thing is bugging me. When doing very low-intensity tasks (browsing the internet, sitting on desktop) my CPU will idle around 40-43°C, but then will randomly spike up to 50-60°C before slowly going back down 10-15 degrees and then spikes again 10 seconds later. When I run R20 my temps max at 94°C (I'll almost never stress my CPU that much in real use). Currently I'm using an Arctic Freezer Pro 7 which worked wonders for my last CPU but perhaps I need something beefier for the new gen? I've tried reapplying paste and playing with the fan curve with no success. Do 3rd Gens just run hotter? Should I invest in a new cooler? Thanks in advance

Yeah maybe there's some undervolting you can do or something to help temps? But otherwise yeah I think you should get a new cooler. 8 high performance cores under something like that is going to get warm.

Yes, the 3800x is harder to cool.

What are load temps during normal usage? If they're fine, you can just stick with the current cooler. 

Otherwise, getting a better cooler can still be useful for better boost clocks or lower noise.

Moved to Air Cooling. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

7 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yes, the 3800x is harder to cool.

What are load temps during normal usage? If they're fine, you can just stick with the current cooler. 

Otherwise, getting a better cooler can still be useful for better boost clocks or lower noise.

Moved to Air Cooling. 

Okay so I switched over to AMD's stock Wraith Prism cooler with the thought that obviously they'd send you a cooler that will work well at stock settings. So I installed the new cooler, ran cinebench again and hit max 68°, great! Well today (1 day later) after doing nothing to my PC, hardware or software wise, I realized that the CPU has started to run hot again, idling in the mid-40's then spiking to mid-high 50's and going back down. I didn't touch a single thing in my BIOS or in my case itself yet it's performing much worse than it did yesterday? Why might that be

10 minutes ago, kentonwill said:

Okay so I switched over to AMD's stock Wraith Prism cooler with the thought that obviously they'd send you a cooler that will work well at stock settings. So I installed the new cooler, ran cinebench again and hit max 68°, great! Well today (1 day later) after doing nothing to my PC, hardware or software wise, I realized that the CPU has started to run hot again, idling in the mid-40's then spiking to mid-high 50's and going back down. I didn't touch a single thing in my BIOS or in my case itself yet it's performing much worse than it did yesterday? Why might that be

How is that performing worse? None of the temps mentioned are higher than 68c.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

How is that performing worse? None of the temps mentioned are higher than 68c.

Sorry I'm really tired at this point and forgot to mention; ran Cinebench again today about 30 mins ago and temps got up to 94, after only reaching 68 yesterday

3 minutes ago, kentonwill said:

Sorry I'm really tired at this point and forgot to mention; ran Cinebench again today about 30 mins ago and temps got up to 94, after only reaching 68 yesterday

Is the cooler fully tightened? What paste are you using?

If the temps were fine before but worse now, that may indicate a bad mount or thermal paste pump out. 

Cinebench is alright but I recommend using a more sustained load like OCCT for more accurate load temps. 

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

Is the cooler fully tightened? What paste are you using?

If the temps were fine before but worse now, that may indicate a bad mount or thermal paste pump out. 

Cinebench is alright but I recommend using a more sustained load like OCCT for more accurate load temps. 

Was originally using the stock paste that comes on the cooler, but have also used Arctic Silver 5 paste (which I think is decent?) and both give me spiking temperatures and high max temps. I'll try reapplying the cooler in a bit here and get back to you

The 3800x is very hard to keep under control even with extreme semi-open loop coolers like the Eisabaer Extreme with push-pull industrial Noctuas and with a dedicated Ryzen 3000 cold plate for the separate chiplets I have seen the package temps easily go above 80C on a Prime 95 running fast Fourier transforms for max heat.

Be sure you don't have turbo boost (overclock) enabled in your bios if you have it . This can cause 20c jumps in less than a second

I think linus mentioned something about the cores not being synced in the deliding a $1000 cpu

9 hours ago, kentonwill said:

reset bios to defalt yet?

Pumas.EXE has stopped responding...

• CPU
    RYZEN 5 1600
  • Motherboard
    ASROCK B450 PRO 4
  • RAM
    16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
  • GPU
    PowerColor RX 5700
  • Case
    Corsair Carbide 275r
  • Storage
    intel 660p 512 GB
  • PSU
    PowerSpec PS650BSM

I can't promise this will work for you, but i found running 1.325v with a slight overclock gave me lower temps on a 3600.  This may not work for you but its worth firing up Ryzen Master and trying.

Id definitely get a new CPU cooler, Snowman from Ali, Hyper 212 evo etc.