Router for Privacy [solicitating recommendations and knowledge]

LOST TALE

Hi do you guys knows an recommend any routers that I can (preferably easily) configure to treat traffic differently:

Send everything through some privacy settings with VPN and DNS

but make exception for videogame packets and send those through regular lower latency channels?

Is this more practically done from the desktop or the router?

I'm considering Asus RT-AC86U/CA Dual Band Wireless Router

and with the firmware merlin asusWRT which is open source https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin

Here it says it can filter by device when it comes to DNS usage, I assume this would also include vpn usage. so I can have some devices use vpn and others to not use it.

TLDR: I think my solution can work if I have 1 pc for gaming and a second pc for privacy. I wonder however if it is possible to do this with one PC only and dscriminate traffic by from the same PC.

Will I be able to do this with this option or Is there a better option?

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Selective routing is kinda pain in the butt, I attempted do the exact same thing you described with a old linksys e900 running freshtomato firmware but I ended up creating 2 different VLANs. VLAN0 routes all traffic through VPN (and exclusively uses DNS from VPN) and VLAN1 just uses local internet connection. I am also interested in what others here might suggest.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

You pretty much get one or the other. Pick one. Sifting and sorting data takes time which equals bottlenecks. Everything pays the price. I am guessing there may be some sort of commercial option that will do that but I doubt it will sift the contents for the same device. It is all being dumped into the same pipe once it leaves the router. Essentially what you are trying to do is give certain data priority over other types and route the high priority data (the "faster" gaming stuff) around the other when its FIFO. Isn't a thing. You can selectively target to two different systems or more but once you have scrubbed everything through the VPN, your not going to speed it up or slow it down significantly after that. It's all coming from the same place at that point.

1 hour ago, THEGURUOFNOTHING said:

You pretty much get one or the other. Pick one. Sifting and sorting data takes time which equals bottlenecks. Everything pays the price. I am guessing there may be some sort of commercial option that will do that but I doubt it will sift the contents for the same device. It is all being dumped into the same pipe once it leaves the router. Essentially what you are trying to do is give certain data priority over other types and route the high priority data (the "faster" gaming stuff) around the other when its FIFO. Isn't a thing. You can selectively target to two different systems or more but once you have scrubbed everything through the VPN, your not going to speed it up or slow it down significantly after that. It's all coming from the same place at that point.

data priority over other types and route the high priority data

Nice to have; not what I was looking for. I want some data to go directly to the clearnet, and the rest to go through the VPN.

Sifting and sorting data takes time which equals bottlenecks.

Btw, Network I control from asus mobo was able to do this with only a few ms of latency (excellent while maxing the download speed).

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

1 hour ago, LOST TALE said:

asus mobo

There is a huge ass diffrence between x86 chips that are used in the motherboard and the ARM chips found in most routers. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

9 hours ago, Donut417 said:

There is a huge ass diffrence between x86 chips that are used in the motherboard and the ARM chips found in most routers. 

this router for example has an x86 chip

1 hour ago, LOST TALE said:

this router for example has an x86 chip

Well the router your considering DOES NOT. https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33158-asus-rt-ac86u-dual-band-ac2900-wireless-router-reviewed

Small Net builder looks at all the hardware and does testing. ALL consumer grade routers I have seen are ARM chips, dont expect those to do much. You might be wise to check out PFsense and build a router yourself. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.