i9 9900k front facing fan ?

espr3ss0

At the moment I have a Noctua NH-D15 which only just fits in the case and to be honest is really ugly. I'm still not sure what they're called but want a front facing fan like Noctua's NH-C14S maybe rgb but not sure if I can get one suitable for the i9 9900k. I don't play games and I think the D15 is overkill for my needs.

14 minutes ago, espr3ss0 said:

At the moment I have a Noctua NH-D15 which only just fits in the case and to be honest is really ugly. I'm still not sure what they're called but want a front facing fan like Noctua's NH-C14S maybe rgb but not sure if I can get one suitable for the i9 9900k. I don't play games and I think the D15 is overkill for my needs.

What are your needs? If you have a 9900k, I assume your doing something intensive on it... That CPU does pump out a fair bit of heat, and if you already have a NH-D15, I would seriously just keep it.

What do you use this computer for? Spending ~450-500 on a CPU and then saying a nice cooler isn't required is a bit odd, as the 9900k is the gaming king of CPU's...

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

The Corsair ML PRO RGB are very decent fans.

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

The most intensive app I use is Blender however mainly use the GPU for rendering. The CPU seems to only heat in bursts and never for long periods.

The only other option is to somehow make it look nicer, only found the Chromax Cover but not sure it will even fit.

7 minutes ago, espr3ss0 said:

The CPU seems to only heat in bursts and never for long periods.

Same here with my 9700k, really small bursts. 

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

33 minutes ago, espr3ss0 said:

TLDNR: Is the noctua 15 massive overkill?  Yes.  The bright side of this though is it means your CPU will last much longer. (Like muuuch longer)

I suggest sucking up the “it’s not as purty!” Thing and accept that yours is just better.

what you mean by “front facing” is more often called “top down” because originally computers sat sideways on desktops with the motherboard on the bottom facing up.

they tend not to work as well because the pipes can only come in from one side and need to be longer to clear the CPU.  They do have the advantage of throwing more air at the motherboard though.  They are normally only bothered with for low profile stuff.  You get a lot less cooling for more money.

There are a lot of them though.  Do a search for “top down” and you will find a mess of em.  None will be as good as your current cooler, though they may cost more.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Why do you think the NH-D15 is ugly and how is the NH-C14S any better?

The type of cooler you're referring to is a downdraft cooler and blows towards the motherboard.

What case are you using and what are your load temps?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Thanks for the replies so far. To me the bigass heatsync just looks ugly especially compared with some water cooling these days also no rgb.

What temps do u want me to post ?

MOBO 35-38c

CPU 35-38c

GPU 38-42c

7 hours ago, espr3ss0 said:

Thanks for the replies so far. To me the bigass heatsync just looks ugly especially compared with some water cooling these days also no rgb.

What temps do u want me to post ?

CPU Load temps. I personally use OCCT. 

By no rgb, do you mean that you you want to avoid rgb or that you wanted it?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

24 minutes ago, espr3ss0 said:

No sorry I mean there are no rgb options for Noctua.

*loves noctua*

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 11/30/2019 at 5:37 PM, WoodenMarker said:

Why do you think the NH-D15 is ugly and how is the NH-C14S any better?

The type of cooler you're referring to is a downdraft cooler and blows towards the motherboard.

What case are you using and what are your load temps?

In fairness the noctua15 is sort of an acquired taste. It’s bare aluminum and at least one very large tan fan ring and it dominates the area.  It does say to people who build computers “I am a badass” more than any other object one could put in a case, but it’s not exactly aesthetic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2019 at 7:40 AM, espr3ss0 said:

Are you aiming for rgb or just a more neutral black / grey / white look unlike Noctua's?

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 12/4/2019 at 9:40 AM, espr3ss0 said:

Arguably there are rgb options for everything.  Rgb can be done as a stick on panel addition.  It used to be the only way it was done which is why there are two different cables.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2019 at 10:53 PM, Bombastinator said:

Arguably there are rgb options for everything.  Rgb can be done as a stick on panel addition.  It used to be the only way it was done which is why there are two different cables.

Can't find any stick on rgb panels. Any suggestions ?

24 minutes ago, espr3ss0 said:

Can't find any stick on rgb panels. Any suggestions ?

Asrok still sells one. They call it an “addressable fan frame kit”. Doesn’t stick on.  It bolts in front of the fan. I don’t even like the light on my gpu so I avoid glass panel cases.  I’ve seen pics of them though.  They at least at one time existed.  It’s currently important to keep inside the “brand ecosystem” of the lighting you buy.  The manufacturers are currently fighting hard to make their stuff proprietary.  Such things almost always fail quite hard.  It’s still going right now though.

53 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Asrok still sells one. They call it an “addressable fan frame kit”. Doesn’t stick on.  It bolts in front of the fan. I don’t even like the light on my gpu so I avoid glass panel cases.  I’ve seen pics of them though.  They at least at one time existed.  It’s currently important to keep inside the “brand ecosystem” of the lighting you buy.  The manufacturers are currently fighting hard to make their stuff proprietary.  Such things almost always fail quite hard.  It’s still going right now though.

Thank u.