Which monitor to buy, IPS, MVA, TN? Confused :(

Hi, I have recently built a new computer, but my power supply interferes with my VGA cable and I have jumping horizontal lines all over my monitor while playing games. The monitor I have (Asus vw222s) has only analog VGA cable and I confirmed that DVI-D monitor connected to my GPU doesn't have the issue.

So I am after some new monitor with DVI-D/DisplayPort/HDMI cable of fullHD or even 1920x1200 resolution (no 1440p or 4K, I don't have good enough GPU), 23-24" size thats costs 300$ or less. Besides programming I watch movies, play games and edit photos quite a lot, so it's not an easiest choice to make. 60Hz is fine for me, I am not that hardcore player.

I discovered that IPS monitors have better, more realistic colors and viewing angles than TN panels. But they have very washed out grey blacks and irregular "IPS glow", which  seems really troublesome for me. I can't imagine watching a movie with night scenes or playing Amnesia like this, with a big bright blob somewhere. No idea how this is possible with so professional displays... I was interested in 24'' Dell P2414H before I saw a left-bottom corner problem which a lot of people have:

http://i.imgur.com/SzTbSlu.jpg

http://cdn.overclock.net/a/ae/aeef4139_FpsbVP2.jpeg

http://cdn.overclock.net/d/d2/500x1000px-LL-d22f9f03_IMG201.jpeg

Then I discovered MVA which had slightly worse viewing angles than IPS (I don't care about that), same or better colors than IPS and pitch dark blacks. Seemed OK, but then I read the response time is horrible (it was still ok on IPS for me, I am not a pro player) and the blacks are sometimes too much black, they cut of some color range. If manufacturer lowers the response time using overdrive, input lag climbs up...

I am quite lost now, can't find any monitor which has good color, black blacks and small response time/input lag in my price range... I suppose DVI-D is not that big of a problem, HDMI connection is practically the same thing, right (with sound)?

Could you plese recommend some monitors without these major drawbacks?

You've got it pretty much right. Put very, very plainly:

TN - cheap, fast response time

IPS - slower response, vastly superior color and viewing angles

VA - faster than IPS (not a blanket statement, it can be different), better colors than TN, decent viewing angles, possible to get 120hz refresh rates

The VA is a trade off between the two. If you game and really care about response times that's a good bet.

I'd just go with IPS. If you do a lot of research and get a panel with decent actual response time then I bet you'd hardly notice the difference.

What's your budget?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You've got it pretty much right. Put very, very plainly:

TN - cheap, fast response time

IPS - slower response, vastly superior color and viewing angles

VA - faster than IPS (not a blanket statement, it can be different), better colors than TN, decent viewing angles, possible to get 120hz refresh rates

The VA is a trade off between the two. If you game and really care about response times that's a good bet.

I'd just go with IPS. If you do a lot of research and get a panel with decent actual response time then I bet you'd hardly notice the difference.

What's your budget?

IPS has slower response than VA? I read that VA is slower but has deeper black... That would put VA into the best light of the three if it didn't have the washed out blacks of IPS along with good color and better response time, right?

300$ or under is ok.

well if you watch movies then i have the right monitor for you with very good contrast(deep black) VA panel and 4ms , the benq GW2460HM

VA is the way to go for tv`s too(samsung,sony) 

Edited by s3ns3

IPS has slower response than VA? I read that VA is slower but has deeper black... That would put VA into the best light of the three if it didn't have the washed out blacks of IPS along with good color and better response time, right?

300$ or under is ok.

Depends on the type. MVA, PVA, S-PVA, and also from manufacturer to manufacturer. You really have to go to a panel review site and get some real readings, not the ones given by the manufacturer.

An example is the Asus PB278Q and HP ZR2740w. HP rates theirs at 12/14ms, Asus at 5ms. In actual use, the HP is a slight bit faster (or they're the same. I can't quite recall)

This is a good read when comparing display types.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/content/panel_technologies_content.htm#pls

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

well if you watch movies then i have the right monitor for you with very good contrast(deep black) VA panel and 4ms , the benq GW2460HM

VA is the way to go for tv`s too(samsung,sony) 

Oh, that monitor looks very promising! I am a little afraid about ghosting, is it an issue while playing games? Does it cut off some dark tones (black crush)? I am also considering BL2410PT.

Depends on the type. MVA, PVA, S-PVA, and also from manufacturer to manufacturer. You really have to go to a panel review site and get some real readings, not the ones given by the manufacturer.

An example is the Asus PB278Q and HP ZR2740w. HP rates theirs at 12/14ms, Asus at 5ms. In actual use, the HP is a slight bit faster (or they're the same. I can't quite recall)

And that's why I am so confused... I don't have time to read that number of reviews, but I am trying ;_;

I can't get this one from here :(

Oh, that monitor looks very promising! I am a little afraid about ghosting, is it an issue while playing games? Does it cut off some dark tones (black crush)? I am also considering BL2410PT.

it has 4ms,so no.VA panel manages shadows good. don`t consider BL2410PT couse its TN panel

I can't get this one from here :(

Where are you shopping/located?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

it has 4ms,so no.VA panel manages shadows good. don`t consider BL2410PT couse its TN panel

No, I am pretty sure it's not TN panel. Look at the Specification, Panel type and you'll see VA: http://www.benq.com/product/monitor/BL2410PT/

It has very similar specifications to your monitor + adjustable screen and 99% sRGB. I think I will buy this one, I like it. :) Thanks for the suggestion.

Where are you shopping/located?

Czech Republic.

Czech Republic.

Any of the shops you are using you can link us to?

No, I am pretty sure it's not TN panel. Look at the Specification, Panel type and you'll see VA: http://www.benq.com/product/monitor/BL2410PT/

It has very similar specifications to your monitor + adjustable screen and 99% sRGB. I think I will buy this one, I like it. :) Thanks for the suggestion.

Czech Republic.

do you also alza to shop?(im from slovakia btw)

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

oh yeah sorry i didn`t check the benq page on it i just checked on an online strore and in the specs was TN panel. oh yeah go for it,it has lots of features according to the benq site and it looks good

I'm a big fan of inexpensive IPS panels.  I've seen some on good deals from HP, LG, Acer.  23-27" 1080p

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

do you also alza to shop?(im from slovakia btw)

Hi :) I ordered the monitor from czc.cz, I have some bonus points there.

oh yeah sorry i didn`t check the benq page on it i just checked on an online strore and in the specs was TN panel. oh yeah go for it,it has lots of features according to the benq site and it looks good

Yeah, I ordered it already :) I am looking forward to it. What about viewing angles? Maybe my TN+Film panel I have right now has a better one...

I'm a big fan of inexpensive IPS panels.  I've seen some on good deals from HP, LG, Acer.  23-27" 1080p

Yeah, I really liked that Dell... Then I saw what can IPS glow do and got scared. But maybe it doesn't matter that much, I haven't seen it IRL, but people say it's distracting even when watching letterboxed movie.

Check out my monitor guide here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=218867

While it is old, it is still relatively relevant today. Just understand that you have exceptions, and this guide is more to get you started, and not know everything about monitors.

Nice and interesting guide :) That 6-bit image is a little exaggerated, right? 2^6=64 levels, something like this: http://puu.sh/6Ql9m.jpg

Also, MVA monitors have bad colors like TN-Film too? I hope not... BL2410PT supposedly has 99.5% of sRGB colorspace.

Nice and interesting guide :) That 6-bit image is a little exaggerated, right? 2^6=64 levels, something like this: http://puu.sh/6Ql9m.jpg

Also, MVA monitors have bad colors like TN-Film too? I hope not... BL2410PT supposedly has 99.5% of sRGB colorspace.

Thanks.

The image where I reduced the color is a simple reduction without any dithering effect, just to highlight the difference due to the small image size. So yes, exaggerated in that sense.

MVA panels got much better than at the time of the guide. So I would not worry to much. :)

I need to update it, and the day I'll have time, I'll definitively post it here as well. Maybe sometime in summer. I'll have to see.

Thanks.

The image where I reduced the color is a simple reduction without any dithering effect, just to highlight the difference due to the small image size. So yes, exaggerated in that sense.

MVA panels got much better than at the time of the guide. So I would not worry to much. :)

I need to update it, and the day I'll have time, I'll definitively post it here as well. Maybe sometime in summer. I'll have to see.

Great :) The monitor will arrive tomorrow, yay.

About that bit reduction... All I did was I used Levels in Photoshop to reduce image to 64 levels of each channel, so it's how it should look using 6 bits per channel. There's slight banding visible after zooming into the unfocused part but not as severe as in your image.

OH MY GOD! These are some crazy colors :D It's nearly uncomparable with my old monitor... Really good. I had to up the gamma a little to see the very dark areas, but image still has a lot of contrast. I am running about 30% screen brightness for work and 100% for gaming/movies and probably something between for anime. I don't see any ghosting. Viewing angles are about the same as with my TN+Film, ok. Only problem I had was with dark-toned Visual Studio, that gray looks a little brighter in the corners. For example Photoshop is dark-toned too but the problem is not that evident there.

• 11 months later...
Hello, I'm considering buying this monitor, but I pulled back cuz i read that have some problems in grayscale, as the darker gray cannot display, and shows all black instead.

look at this video:

someone can tell me if this is a confirmed flaw of this monitor?

• 2 weeks later...

Just avoid the garbage that is TN...  

Once there was a time TN has some benefits over other panels. That time belongs in 2014 and backwards now.