is a m.2 nvme drive considered a pcie ssd?

bluesaph
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

So all 3 M.2. slots will always run at full speed even when all 3 are populated. But it does share lanes with other connectors which will become unavailable like 2 of the 6 SATA III ports or the PCIE_4 slot that will run at x2 instead of x4 speed (this is the most bottom slot that looks like a Graphics card slot, it's not a M.2. slot that get's slowed down) 

As the title says is a m.2 nvme drive considered a pcie ssd?(the samsung evo 960plus) Ive been trying to figure out if my motherboard a z370 can handle 2 m.2 nvme drives but reading about it is confusing me more is there some kind of global cap of speed? so if the cap is 4 and for instancei  have 2 drives does that limit 2 for each drive? 

In my manual it says The PCIEX4 slot shares bandwidth with the M2P_32G connector. The PCIEX4 slot operates at up to x2 mode when a PCIe SSD is installed in the M2P_32G connector. what exactly is x2 mode would that hinder the 960 evo plus performance? And would it also hinder it if i ran 2 of them?

all nvme drives are pcie.

normally the drives have 4 lanes of speed, so the speed with he halved with 2(but really it won't matter for mod uses)

when its halved to 2 what does that mean? if the nvme drives writes and reads at 700/s does that mean instead its now 350?

also is that halving global? as in like if you add the 2 drives and they both write 700 plus 700 they get combines and both reduced to 350?

what mainboard exactly do you have? some can support 2 drives at full x4 speed, some can't. The last link you posted is a samsung 860, a SATA drive. the 960 is Nvme

Ah ok awesome yes i have 2 m.2 nvme drives not the sata ones thanks for the clarification but is nvmie pcie? But yes i have the z370 gaming 7 with 1 nvme drive and 1 sata ssd and 3 mech drives i was thinking about removing the sata ssd which is my boot drive and cloning it to the new nvme drive.  I know by installing the first nvme it disabled 2 sata slots so im just trying to figure out how to make this work. im reading the manual and it says the middle m.2 if its pcie all sata slots are ok.

So all 3 M.2. slots will always run at full speed even when all 3 are populated. But it does share lanes with other connectors which will become unavailable like 2 of the 6 SATA III ports or the PCIE_4 slot that will run at x2 instead of x4 speed (this is the most bottom slot that looks like a Graphics card slot, it's not a M.2. slot that get's slowed down) 

so if i populate the top 2 m.2 slots everything will work to its full capacity without effecting the graphic card?

also i already put a m.2 ssd into the top slot and it disabled 2 slots which is cool im already used to that but the middle one doesnt effect anything more right? I can't see any notation saying it would but it might just be that i dont know what im looking for.

even if you populate all 3 it won't affect your graphics card, as you would normally install a graphics card in the top slot. The bottom slot is usually for things like sound cards or wifi cards or usb hubs, they often enough dont need much speed

Yes the middle one doesn't disable anything when used with an nvme drive

YEs fucken awesome you don't know how many posts ive made on reddit and here to figure this out fucken thank you so fucken much youre a god.

For the record there are m.2 drives that use the SATA protocall.

M.2 is a form factor

PCIe/SATA is a protocall

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430