MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon ATX

DRSPID54

So I'm what you call a NOOB when it comes to computers, but I figured I would like to build one. I used pcpartspicker.com to compile a list. I have the Lian Li LANCOOL II case picked out and I want to put some cool looking RGB case fans on the font. So to be clear there are 3 120mm fans already existing in/on the case, and I want to order 3 more RGB fans for the front of the case, and move the one fan that is in the front that already come with the case to the top or the back. In the Motherboard specs it says it will support 5-4pin case fans and 1-4 pin water cooler pump. I also read in a forum on this same website that they make a power splitter or something of that nature for the fans. I have two questions. 1) Can I attach the 6th fan using the 4 pin Water pump connector? and 2) how effective are these power splitters? I think I can attach the 6th fan this way but like I stated Earlier I'm a NOOB and i want to make sure this is done "right".

Thanks for your time.

Splitters can be bad because they make the fan run at 100% all the time, which can get loud.  The standard move is to use a fan controller which is a little box with a bunch of fan connectors on it.  You’ll want a single fan cable for each connector.  This will allow you to control fan speed.  They’re often annoying to mount.  Double stick tape is common.  Six fans is a lot.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

16 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

(1) Splitters can be bad because they make the fan run at 100% all the time, which can get loud. (2) The standard move is to use a fan controller which is a little box with a bunch of fan connectors on it. (3) You’ll want a single fan cable for each connector.  This will allow you to control fan speed. (4) They’re often annoying to mount.  Double stick tape is common.  Six fans is a lot.  

Ok, there's so much wrong here.

1. This depends on what control options is selected from mobo. If one has PWM mode and there are any 3pin fans, 3pins will be at full speed. This is not an issue with modern RGB fans which are PWM/4pins. Same goes with powered hubs.
  2. No, most common thing is to get Y-splitters or 3-way splitters. This is best when mobo has decent amount of headers (2+ for system fans) and there's only need for moderate amount of fans (3-6).
  3. This is true, however with controller box you need to get one with USB and software to actually get it going. And those are tad expensive.
  4. Current ones have either tape or they mount to SSD mount. Neither is annoying imo as modern cases have so many possibilities with SSD placements.

@DRSPID54, with so many headers best option is to get Y-splitters or 3-way splitters. Unless you really need individual control. But I would say grouped control is better as you can get your front fans to spin same speed, your tops to spin same speed and so on.

It says in mobo manual that SYS fan headers are DC by detaulf. So this needs to be changed to PWM mode in BIOS for RGB fans. Pump header is PWM by default. So essentially all 7 headers on that board are same, just one option for control scheme default is different.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

46 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Ok, there's so much wrong here.

1. This depends on what control options is selected from mobo. If one has PWM mode and there are any 3pin fans, 3pins will be at full speed. This is not an issue with modern RGB fans which are PWM/4pins. Same goes with powered hubs.
  2. No, most common thing is to get Y-splitters or 3-way splitters. This is best when mobo has decent amount of headers (2+ for system fans) and there's only need for moderate amount of fans (3-6).
  3. This is true, however with controller box you need to get one with USB and software to actually get it going. And those are tad expensive.
  4. Current ones have either tape or they mount to SSD mount. Neither is annoying imo as modern cases have so many possibilities with SSD placements.

@DRSPID54, with so many headers best option is to get Y-splitters or 3-way splitters. Unless you really need individual control. But I would say grouped control is better as you can get your front fans to spin same speed, your tops to spin same speed and so on.

It says in mobo manual that SYS fan headers are DC by detaulf. So this needs to be changed to PWM mode in BIOS for RGB fans. Pump header is PWM by default. So essentially all 7 headers on that board are same, just one option for control scheme default is different.

So you’re saying

1: a 4 pin fan does not have the splitter problem and can return data and function even on the end of a splitter.

2: function of 1 with point that 6 fans is moderate not large amount

3: function of cost (they’re not longer like $30 or less) Control software is sold separately?

4: so they only make the things SSD shaped now? That’s an improvement.  Tape for anything strikes me as a kludge.

point #1 is big.  2-4 are more opinion based but #1 is major.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

So you’re saying

1: a 4 pin fan does not have the splitter problem and can return data and function even on the end of a splitter.

You would lose individual control, not control overall.

2: function of 1 with point that 6 fans is moderate not large amount

6 fans on single header control is very different from 6 fans in the case overall. OP asked if they can have all 6 fans controlled. They could do this with just mobo. Which they can do too.

3: function of cost (they’re not longer like $30 or less) Control software is sold separately?

Yes, NZXT Grid at $50 and Corsair Commander Pro at $80.

4: so they only make the things SSD shaped now? That’s an improvement.  Tape for anything strikes me as a kludge.

I haven't had one, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had mounts for it at bottom.

point #1 is big.  2-4 are more opinion based but #1 is major.

Personally I don't understand why controlling in groups is so bad overall. More efficient if you have front as one, top as one etc. That's how mine are.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Ok so to simplify things i see that a splitter is clearly the wrong way to go and that a controller should be used. but please simplify the answer the question... WILL IT WORK plugged in to the Water pump pins?

On 11/30/2019 at 8:23 AM, LogicalDrm said:

You would lose individual control, not control overall.

6 fans on single header control is very different from 6 fans in the case overall. OP asked if they can have all 6 fans controlled. They could do this with just mobo. Which they can do too.

Yes, NZXT Grid at $50 and Corsair Commander Pro at $80.

I haven't had one, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had mounts for it at bottom.

Personally I don't understand why controlling in groups is so bad overall. More efficient if you have front as one, top as one etc. That's how mine are.

I did a google search and was seeing such things available in the $20-30 range.  Not those models though.  It doesn’t matter however since the splitter will apparently work for four pin fans.  This was the basis of the error.

20 minutes ago, DRSPID54 said:

Ok so to simplify things i see that a splitter is clearly the wrong way to go and that a controller should be used. but please simplify the answer the question... WILL IT WORK plugged in to the Water pump pins?

no.  I was apparently totally wrong.  IF you have 4 pin fans splitters will work fine.  It’s only with 3 pin fans that splitters have problems.

i do not know how you would control rgb colors though.  I’m not sure how that data is transferred.  Might be something clever that uses the existing four wires without affecting their other function.

34 minutes ago, DRSPID54 said:

Yes it will work. Its just labelled that way. The important thing: You need to go to BIOS and set all headers for PWM control.

17 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I did a google search and was seeing such things available in the $20-30 range.  Not those models though.  It doesn’t matter however since the splitter will apparently work for four pin fans.  This was the basis of the error.

Link? AFAIK Corsair and NZXT are the only ones which offer software fan controlling with USB connection. The rest either use knobs or are just powered hubs which would use mobo for controlling.

no.  I was apparently totally wrong.  IF you have 4 pin fans splitters will work fine.  It’s only with 3 pin fans that splitters have problems.

3pins ca be controller, all my case fans are 3pins and controlled. Only if you mix fans in hubs/splitters there will be some issues.

i do not know how you would control rgb colors though.  I’m not sure how that data is transferred.  Might be something clever that uses the existing four wires without affecting their other function.

RGB is either controlled from mobo which supports RGB control, or by with software RGB controller, or by physical controller. Usually controllers come with fan packs.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Link? AFAIK Corsair and NZXT are the only ones which offer software fan controlling with USB connection. The rest either use knobs or are just powered hubs which would use mobo for controlling.

3pins ca be controller, all my case fans are 3pins and controlled. Only if you mix fans in hubs/splitters there will be some issues.

RGB is either controlled from mobo which supports RGB control, or by with software RGB controller, or by physical controller. Usually controllers come with fan packs.

there are oddities of this site compared to ones I have used previously that make my attempts to cut quote go bad somehow so I had to abandon my attempts.  I’m afraid I have to answer you numerically.

1. That is possible.  I didn’t look specifically for USB control.

2. yes that is what I said.  Perhaps not as well as l could have I guess.

3.  So there is another lead for color control that goes to the fan color controller be it on mobo or separate?  The software control capability implies no.  I’m not sure how an outboard color controller would work then unless it itself plugs into usb or something.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

there are oddities of this site compared to ones I have used previously that make my attempts to cut quote go bad somehow so I had to abandon my attempts.  I’m afraid I have to answer you numerically.

Double-enter breaks quotes....

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

3.  So there is another lead for color control that goes to the fan color controller be it on mobo or separate?  The software control capability implies no.  I’m not sure how an outboard color controller would work then unless it itself plugs into usb or something.

Fans have two connectors, one for fan power/control, other for RGB power/control. Most people are looking for syncing all RGB fans so individual control is rarely looked for. Thats why most packs come with 3-way splitter to connect into one mobo header. Some controllers have multiple headers allowing individual control, or connecting just more zones/devices.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Double-enter breaks quotes....

Fans have two connectors, one for fan power/control, other for RGB power/control. Most people are looking for syncing all RGB fans so individual control is rarely looked for. Thats why most packs come with 3-way splitter to connect into one mobo header. Some controllers have multiple headers allowing individual control, or connecting just more zones/devices.

1. I’ll have to mess about with that, thankyou :)

2. RGB fans do apparently.  There used to be only one before RGB.  Apparently the RGB and the actual fan remain separate systems even if they are permanently attached.  I can see why individual color control is avoided.  That could get (more?) downright nauseating.

Ok so lets assume i don't obviously need all 6 fans. How many fans is advisable... one fan short of what the motherboard supports? or max pins  (5 fans)? Out of personal experiences how many fans have worked for you?

26 minutes ago, DRSPID54 said:

Ok so lets assume i don't obviously need all 6 fans. How many fans is advisable... one fan short of what the motherboard supports? or max pins  (5 fans)? Out of personal experiences how many fans have worked for you?

It depends on what needs cooling. Usually, a single front intake and a rear exhaust is adequate for most systems. 

What are your specs?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

CPU

127d608f7abf20424afc8464bc416cfa.256p.jpg Intel Core i9-9900KS 4 GHz 8-Core Processor                

51XdFIoS4DL.jpg Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler                

Motherboard   91d7402ac6c9d16afc48f31c5165cf3d.256p.jpg MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard                

Memory   f97fce0b44ff2447a790b0bffc74f9f3.256p.jpg G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory                

Storage   09a31f32abb3daaf5ed9b849bd60e675.256p.jpg Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive                

Storage   fc032f25b40a04ce17f1a3a06c7f6418.256p.jpg Western Digital Blue 6 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive                

Video Card   41bcSvsQDtL.jpg NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Video Card                

Case   8f728ad9050f1b98db2e61fab01bc902.256p.jpg Lian Li LANCOOL II-X ATX Mid Tower Case                

Power Supply   02951377c9eed1e21fc3d8ba6092717e.256p.jpg Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply                

Operating System   e2020af0d40a275d81e0eec3386efa7e.256p.jpg Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit $139.99              

Case Fan   41zfUn6CveL.jpg Lian Li BORA 120R-3 RGB 57.2 CFM 120 mm Fans                
  the RGB fans are optional. buy the case already comes with 3 fans

16 minutes ago, DRSPID54 said:
  the RGB fans are optional. buy the case already comes with 3 fans

The case cooling seems fine but I'd recommend getting a beefier cooler for a 9900ks like a Fuma 2: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/YsHRsY/scythe-fuma-2-5117-cfm-cpu-cooler-scfm-2000

You can just post the permalink to share a pcpartpicker list. 

f85ac460ec40f5998b6dbed94de1bee2.gif&key

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.