Is the wraith spire good enough for overclocking the Ryzen 7 2700?

So I am confused, there's a deal to be had on either the Ryzen 7 2700x or the 2700, the X model going fir $160 on newegg and amazon and the 2700 going for $140. After looking at some benchmarks the performance between the X and Non-X model is pretty similar. But I do get a better cooler with the 2700X, I might overclock it to get the most out of the CPU regardless the model I get, in that case, will the wraith spire be good enough for overclocking? or should I just get the X model instead. I game and stream, and sometimes edit videos.

I would not use either cooler for overclocking. That is, unless you're okay with your computer sounding like a jet engine at full blast. I would recommend an aftermarket cooler for any OCing. That said, I've had worse performance on my 2700x when I manually OC'd. Letting the AMD Ryzen Master software auto overclock is actually better for performance gains. As long as there is thermal room, the software will OC the CPU as much as it can while keeping it stable. Some will argue it pumps too much voltage or how software OC's are bad and OCing should only be done at BIOS level. None of that is true today, at least not with AMD's software.

1 minute ago, TempestCatto said:

I would not use either cooler for overclocking. That is, unless you're okay with your computer sounding like a jet engine at full blast. I would recommend an aftermarket cooler for any OCing. That said, I've had worse performance on my 2700x when I manually OC'd. Letting the AMD Ryzen Master software auto overclock is actually better for performance gains. As long as there is thermal room, the software will OC the CPU as much as it can while keeping it stable. Some will argue it pumps too much voltage or how software OC's are bad and OCing should only be done at BIOS level. None of that is true today, at least not with AMD's software.

So, would it not be worth paying the $20 premium then? will temps be reasonable when gaming and streaming on the stock cooler?

The stock cooler is not good enough for overclocking,

I overclocked my CPU with the stock cooler and the temps sky rocketed to 90c,

Then i installed my 212 EVO and it went down to 60c,allowing me to overclock even higher.

Buy an after market cooler,the 212 EVO is $25 now:

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $24.99 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $34.99
  Mail-in rebates -$10.00
  Total $24.99
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-29 13:11 EST-0500  

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 hour ago, axelrod971 said:

So, would it not be worth paying the $20 premium then? will temps be reasonable when gaming and streaming on the stock cooler?

I've never used the stock cooler on my 2700x. Rather, on an FX 8320 that I OC'd to 4.4Ghz at 1.36v and it keeps the CPU at about 55C in Aida64. However, the fun runs at max and is kinda loud.

You're better off getting the non X variant and a good after market cooler and letting the Ryzen software do its thing. The X variant has higher clocks out of the box and a nicer stock cooler. If you're going with air cooling, the size of your case may end up being the determining factor in how big your air cooler can be. Noctua's NH D15 is an excellent cooler. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo is good too, but I found the CM to be rather difficult to install vs the Noctua.

If you're aiming to oc or want lower noise, an aftermarket cooler can be better. That being said, the included Wraith Spire and Prism are mostly adequate for boost clocks and there probably isn't a massive gain to be had from oc'ing. 

Unless you like and are aiming for the Wraith Prism's aesthetic, I'd recommend to 2700 and seeing how the cooler performs. If you're not satisfied, you can always replace it later.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

13 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you're aiming to oc or want lower noise, an aftermarket cooler can be better. That being said, the included Wraith Spire and Prism are mostly adequate for boost clocks and there probably isn't a massive gain to be had from oc'ing. 

Unless you like and are aiming for the Wraith Prism's aesthetic, I'd recommend to 2700 and seeing how the cooler performs. If you're not satisfied, you can always replace it later.

I went ahead and got the 2700X, I decided I'm not going to be overclocking much as I'm mostly going to be gaming on it, and furthermore, I don't think overclocking on a B450 motherboard would be such a good idea

Just now, axelrod971 said:

I went ahead and got the 2700X, I decided I'm not going to be overclocking much as I'm mostly going to be gaming on it, and furthermore, I don't think overclocking on a B450 motherboard would be such a good idea

Good B450 boards will overclock no problem even with a 3900X.

It depends on what board you have,I have a good B450 board and can overclock it no problem.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

Good B450 boards will overclock no problem even with a 3900X.

It depends on what board you have,I have a good B450 board and can overclock it no problem.

Yeah, I think I'll go with a decent B450 rather than a budget X470, MSI's gaming pro carbon seems to be ticking all the boxes for me at the moment.