Ryzen 3700X Odd Temperature Spikes and annoying fan

linttRa

Ryzen 3700X temparatues jumping from 37c to high 40s even briefly to low 60s on IDLE! If I even move my cursor around the temps start jumping around and the cpu fan too which is annoying. This can't be normal. Room temp is around 20c. In games it randomly jump to mid or high 70s even on low demanding titles

System:
Lian Li pc o-11 dynamic with three Noctua NF-F12 PWM chromax.black.swap mounted on the side
Asus Rog Strix x470-F Gaming
Asus Rog Strix 2080 super
Ryzen 7 3700X with stock cooler
G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16
PSU EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W

I have similar problem with 3700x and stock cooler. We are not first with this issue. I am very sure that in my case, is very good airflow so there is enough fresh cold air to cool down the cpu.

My cpu is also jumping from 38 to 55 degree celsius. My utilization of CPU is around 1-5% but temps are jumping for no reason. Its annoying with stock cooler because it is noisy like hair dryer. For me 2500rpm on stock cooler is too much and audiable.

4 minutes ago, llubbo said:

I have similar problem with 3700x and stock cooler. We are not first with this issue. I am very sure that in my case, is very good airflow so there is enough fresh cold air to cool down the cpu.

My cpu is also jumping from 38 to 55 degree celsius. My utilization of CPU is around 1-5% but temps are jumping for no reason. Its annoying with stock cooler because it is noisy like hair dryer. For me 2500rpm on stock cooler is too much and audiable.

Whats you motherboard?

3 minutes ago, llubbo said:

asROCK x570 gaming phantom 4. On this MOBO fan on SB is also very noisy but not as audiable as peaking cpu fan. I am going crazy.

So even x570 board are having same issue. 

I'm going crazy too! I have been troubleshooting and fixing for two week since I got these component. I might just dump the whole thing, return mobo, ram, and cpu and go with Intel. Even if it means I will lose 200€, but F*CK IT.

Well, I was expecting some issues, maybe AMD will fix this. But I will rather invest few euros to new cooler and problem will be solved. I am AMD fan since beginning and 3700x is beast. My opinion. I think that it is worth it to buy new cooler. If I can give you hint, try this. It is excellent for price: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32832165769.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dmyfQgD

7 minutes ago, llubbo said:

Well, I was expecting some issues, maybe AMD will fix this. But I will rather invest few euros to new cooler and problem will be solved. I am AMD fan since beginning and 3700x is beast. My opinion. I think that it is worth it to buy new cooler. If I can give you hint, try this. It is excellent for price: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32832165769.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dmyfQgD

I was thinking of buying new cooler tomorrow, but whats the point of hiding the problems under the rug? it's still doing odd things with temp

Good point. I was looking at it that better cooler will be doing better work work for cooling than stock one. It is personal opinion and decision...

Do you have PBO on? Because even after bios updates it still pushes borderline unsafe core voltages especially on that . And will spike your temp when cores wake up from sleep (which moving your mouse may do.)

What are you using to measure temps? What are load temps with a synthetic load like OCCT?

The temps seem normal so far and you can fix fan ramping issues by adjusting the fan curve.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

UPDATE: Bought new cooler today and installed it (Cryorig H7). Now instead of having 36-38c at "Idle "(meaning i do absolutely nothing not even mouse movement) I'm having 31-35 according to Ryzen Master and according to HWiNFO64 i'm having mid 30s to low 40s Celsius: BUT here is the big but, IF i move my mouse or open up a browser it goes to low 40s according to RM and according to HWiNFO mid 40s to mid 50s even recorded max temo of 61c. HWiNFO readings are very inconsistent. So these temperature fluctuating are still present.

That seems like normal temperature fluctuation for the type processor with so many cores/threads and other apps running in the background. It also sounds like it is running within its regular specs with PBO. If you are running BIOS settings at default it's not really anything to worry about. Adjust the fan curves before investing in another cooler. It seems like so many people are concerned since they are comparing the Ryzen to another processor they had before.

I'm only using a Ryzen 2700x and after 10 months I recently realized I could adjust the base/throttle state speed/voltage to work around my near silent fan curve for light CPU use. It doesn't boost a single core that often since I have it at 4.1Ghz as the base speed. It works alright this way and I'll probably try to do it this way next time I upgrade to another Ryzen and before I buy another cooler.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

+1 for adjusting fan curves

I had the same problem (CPU temperature spikes at near idle, fan ramping up and down making noise), also with a 3700x. I have a Gigabyte Aorus Elite x570 mobo. What I noticed is that the CPU temperature fluctuates a lot more in the motherboard fan control software (for Gigabyte that's SIV), while in Ryzen Master it's stable, going up and down 5ish degrees. Since SIV controls the fans, the fans would go up and down all day, which was annoying. I'm guessing you have the same problem, but with the Asus fan control software (or BIOS, if you're just using that for fan control).

What I did is flatten out the fan curve a bit in the range of "near idle" in SIV, which for me is 48-60C (with the stock cooler) and made it steeper beyond that. So now when the PC has an idle/light load and the SIV reported temperatures jump around in the 48-60 range, the fan's speed only changes by small amounts (10% over the whole range), which removes the annoying ramp up, ramp down noise. In Ryzen Master, the temperature is reported at a steady 43-48C, so I think everything is ok.

7 hours ago, linttRa said:

these temperature fluctuating are still present.

Yes, that's normal.

1 hour ago, r0cketman said:

CPU temperature fluctuates a lot more in the motherboard fan control software (for Gigabyte that's SIV), while in Ryzen Master it's stable

Many monitoring programs can cause the cpu to boost and no longer be idling. Ryzen Master is one that doesn't have this issue. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.