Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MoriMori

i need help i think i made a mistake?

5 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

As a last ditch effort when you dont have funds to pay for repair its worth a shot.

Its worked out for me in the past a few times.

You're just setting it up for more failure in the future by cooking parts not meant to get that hot, and potentially ruining your oven.  But, have fun with that if you want.  It's just an overall bad idea.

Bloodshed and the Fenris-Wolf:

| CPU:  Ryzen 3 2200g(buying a 3900x in August for it) | CPU Cooler:  Stock at the moment(have a dark rock pro 4 for that 3900x) | Paste:  Kryonaut | Motherboard:  ASRock x470 Taichi(replacing with a Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite) | RAM:  G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 48 GB (2 x 16 GB + 2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 | Boot Drives:  Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280+Crucial BX500 120 GB 2.5" SSD | Storage Drives:  Toshiba X300 4 TB 128 MB Cache 3.5" HDD+PNY CS900 240 GB | GPU:  Sapphire Radeon VII 16 GB HBM2 Video Card | Case:  Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB | PSU:  EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply w/CableMod E-Series Cable Kit (Black/Red) | Case Fans:  2 Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans | Displays:  AOC U2879VF 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor (Replacing with an LG 4k IPS display for game art)+AOC G2460PQU 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor | Mouse:  Corsair M65 Pro RGB | Keyboard:  Ducky Shine 7 Blackout - MK Exclusive First Release - RGB LED Double Shot PBT Mechanical Keyboard with Silent Red Switches | Mousepad:  Gaya Entertainment Oversized Gaming Mousepad Doom | Audio:  Massdrop x AKG K7XX Audiophile Open-back Headphones+Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone+Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset+iBasso IT01 Dynamic Driver Audiophile In-Ear Monitors/Earbuds (Black)+Pair of Mackie MR624s(came with stands+isolation pads) | OSes:  Windows 10 Pro+openSUSE Tumbleweed |

VashTheStampede(ROG Zephyrus M GU502):

| CPU:  i7-9750h | RAM:  32GB Dual Channel 2666mhz CL 19(Stock+Samsung 16GB DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666MHZ, 260 PIN SODIMM, 1.2V, CL 19 ) | Storage:  1TB SSD with Optane | GPU:  Nvidia RTX 2060 | Display:  144hz 3ms | Mouse:  Corsair M65 Pro |

25 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

You're just setting it up for more failure in the future by cooking parts not meant to get that hot, and potentially ruining your oven.  But, have fun with that if you want.  It's just an overall bad idea.

A video card, xbox, etc that works for another 6 months is better then one that doesnt work ever again.

Nothing last forever. Anytime you repair something it will eventually fail again. 

I did a reflow on a 290x. My daughter used it for another 4 months. Cost me $0. 

The xbox 360 they use to play minecraft and netflix i reflowed. Cost me $0 and that was sometime in 2018. 

Like i said if its out of warranty and the repair costs isnt worth it. Why wouldnt someone try it out? Costs nothing. Even if its only temporary its better then nothing.

3 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

A video card, xbox, etc that works for another 6 months is better then one that doesnt work ever again.

Or, you can fix it properly?  You also pretty much made sure it didn't ever work again by baking it.

Nothing last forever. Anytime you repair something it will eventually fail again. 

If you mess up it's far more prone to, and by baking it you are messing it up more.  It also sounds like you're just going for the band-aid approach of this scenario rather than doing a long term fix.

I did a reflow on a 290x. My daughter used it for another 4 months. Cost me $0. 

You baked a GPU, you did not reflow it properly.  There's a difference.   Was a reflow warranted, or was there another issue?

The xbox 360 they use to play minecraft and netflix i reflowed. Cost me $0 and that was sometime in 2018. 

Or, did you bake it?   Because putting it in your kitchen oven is not how you do an actual reflow.   You're just damaging it more, and not doing a proper repair hence why it failed after four months.   You could have fixed it properly then sold it. 

Like i said if its out of warranty and the repair costs isnt worth it. Why wouldnt someone try it out? Costs nothing. Even if its only temporary its better then nothing.

Potentially ruining an oven is it worth it, though?  You're also assuming the fix is going to cost a fortune, and breaking it more isn't really a fix at all.  Heat bill, probably ruining the oven, ruining parts that could be fixed/salvaged, and lots more.   Or, you could do a proper fix which probably isn't that expensive, you're just auto-assuming it is.

Bloodshed and the Fenris-Wolf:

| CPU:  Ryzen 3 2200g(buying a 3900x in August for it) | CPU Cooler:  Stock at the moment(have a dark rock pro 4 for that 3900x) | Paste:  Kryonaut | Motherboard:  ASRock x470 Taichi(replacing with a Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite) | RAM:  G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 48 GB (2 x 16 GB + 2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 | Boot Drives:  Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2-2280+Crucial BX500 120 GB 2.5" SSD | Storage Drives:  Toshiba X300 4 TB 128 MB Cache 3.5" HDD+PNY CS900 240 GB | GPU:  Sapphire Radeon VII 16 GB HBM2 Video Card | Case:  Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB | PSU:  EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply w/CableMod E-Series Cable Kit (Black/Red) | Case Fans:  2 Corsair SP140 49.49 CFM 140 mm Fans | Displays:  AOC U2879VF 28.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor (Replacing with an LG 4k IPS display for game art)+AOC G2460PQU 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor | Mouse:  Corsair M65 Pro RGB | Keyboard:  Ducky Shine 7 Blackout - MK Exclusive First Release - RGB LED Double Shot PBT Mechanical Keyboard with Silent Red Switches | Mousepad:  Gaya Entertainment Oversized Gaming Mousepad Doom | Audio:  Massdrop x AKG K7XX Audiophile Open-back Headphones+Audio-Technica ATR2500-USB Cardioid Condenser USB Microphone+Kingston HyperX Cloud II 7.1 Channel Headset+iBasso IT01 Dynamic Driver Audiophile In-Ear Monitors/Earbuds (Black)+Pair of Mackie MR624s(came with stands+isolation pads) | OSes:  Windows 10 Pro+openSUSE Tumbleweed |

VashTheStampede(ROG Zephyrus M GU502):

| CPU:  i7-9750h | RAM:  32GB Dual Channel 2666mhz CL 19(Stock+Samsung 16GB DDR4 PC4-21300, 2666MHZ, 260 PIN SODIMM, 1.2V, CL 19 ) | Storage:  1TB SSD with Optane | GPU:  Nvidia RTX 2060 | Display:  144hz 3ms | Mouse:  Corsair M65 Pro |

13 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Or, you can fix it properly?  You also pretty much made sure it didn't ever work again by baking it.

If you mess up it's far more prone to, and by baking it you are messing it up more.  It also sounds like you're just going for the band-aid approach of this scenario rather than doing a long term fix.

You baked a GPU, you did not reflow it properly.  There's a difference.   Was a reflow warranted, or was there another issue?

Or, did you bake it?   Because putting it in your kitchen oven is not how you do an actual reflow.   You're just damaging it more, and not doing a proper repair hence why it failed after four months.   You could have fixed it properly then sold it. 

Potentially ruining an oven is it worth it, though?  You're also assuming the fix is going to cost a fortune, and breaking it more isn't really a fix at all.  Heat bill, probably ruining the oven, ruining parts that could be fixed/salvaged, and lots more.   Or, you could do a proper fix which probably isn't that expensive, you're just auto-assuming it is.

Are you not reading my posts?

When your doing this sort of thing your not looking for a long term fix. Its just a last ditch effort to see if itll work.

For $0 i got an extra 4 months out of a 290. A 290 isnt worth anything. Its def not worth paying to fix and then going through the hassle of selling and hoping to break even imo. If it didnt work i wouldve tossed it in the trash. So getting an extra few months for $0 was 100% worth jt.

For $0 ive so far gotten over a years worth of use out of a 360 that i got for free. 

If i wanted a long term fix no i wouldnt do it. But neither one of those projects were worth me spending money on. 

Why would i pay money to fix either product? Im not going to pay money for products that at this point i wouldnt buy anyways. To me a 290 and xbox 360 arent worth $20 let alone whatever a shop would cost to fix.

Heating bill? You think baking something in an oven for a few minutes is going to drastically change my power bill? No.

Damaging my oven? Ovens fine. I have no fear on continuing to use the oven. I highly doubt that baking a pcb is going to have any ill effects towards me.

Ruining parts? They were broken equipment. Even when they were functioning they werent worth much money. 

Im not auto assuming anything. If you have a repair shop near you that do repairs for dirt cheap thats great. Most shops around me have a min fee for jobs. And like i said. These parts arent worth $20 to me. So they sure as hell arent worth the min shop fee and the time to deal with the repair shop.

If you think that old tech is worth paying to fix then thats your opinion and nothing wrong with that. But to me they arent. 

So again. I paid and lost literally nothing by doing this since it was a last ditch effort before i tossed them in the trash. The xbox is still going fine. 290 isnt. Doesnt matter if i broke it more or not since i was planning on throwing it away anyway.

My god people, lead doesn't become a vapor in any way shape or form until well over 450C.  There is very likely no lead in the solder anyway and the reason they took lead out of colder was to reduce lead waste in the environment when electronics get scrapped.  Chances of lead poisoning in any way shape or form from soldering or re flowing are so close to zero that using your oven once for a DIY re-flow is negligible.    The fiberglass substrate in the circuit board or silicon and ceramic in the components also will not off gas chemicals at those temperatures.

Linus is just covering his arse from nuisance lawsuits. 

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.