i need help i think i made a mistake?

MoriMori

so basically i watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xanr4jkmEc 

i kinda missed the part where he said not to use a home oven and since i really didnt see any other warning i did it at my home, so now im afraid to use the oven.

does anyone know of some kind of material that i can use to clean it? maybe even leave it hot with a door open to kill all the bacterias? or use 90% alcohol to clean it?

i really dont know what to do and i dont really have the money right now to spend on another oven.

thanks for the help.

3 minutes ago, Srijan Verma said:

NOPE

i'm looking for something useful, and apparently you are not.

i am serious, there are is no bacteria in your oven, the only harmful things can be toxic/poisonous substances the vaporized on heating like any adhesive.
you can try cleaning with alcohol best would be to check you oven for any left over substances.

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

1 minute ago, Srijan Verma said:

i am serious, there are is no bacteria in your oven, the only harmful things can be toxic/poisonous substances the vaporized on heating like any adhesive.
you can try cleaning with alcohol best would be to check you oven for any left over substances.

okay then, thanks for the answer!  i really appreciate it.

18 minutes ago, MoriMori said:

so basically i watched this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xanr4jkmEc 

i kinda missed the part where he said not to use a home oven and since i really didnt see any other warning i did it at my home, so now im afraid to use the oven.

does anyone know of some kind of material that i can use to clean it? maybe even leave it hot with a door open to kill all the bacterias? or use 90% alcohol to clean it?

i really dont know what to do and i dont really have the money right now to spend on another oven.

thanks for the help.

There could be ways to clean it, and it might be usable for normal food processing again, but without specialized chemicals, processes, equipment, and testing apparatuses (to verify it is safe again), as well as the certainty that you will follow the process exactly and thoroughly, it would be less costly to just buy a new stove. And its not about bacteria so much as it is the chemicals leaving trace amounts of highly toxic residue on your food.

Lesson learned: watch any video you plan to replicate multiple times through. Also, don't rely on a single source for information.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

2 minutes ago, MoriMori said:

okay then, thanks for the answer!  i really appreciate it.

if u are really concerned , u can get another coat of enamel on you oven walls

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

Lead and tin are still commonly used and are volatile at those temperatures, that's why it's unusable now as lead poisoning wouldn't be fun.

I have no clue how to clean it out, but alcohol or common cleaning products definitely aren't going to do anything.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

8 minutes ago, Srijan Verma said:

It's not adhesives that are risky in this situation, it's metal poisoning. Alcohol isn't going to do anything.

1 minute ago, Vitamanic said:

It's not adhesives that are risky in this situation, it's metal poisoning. Alcohol isn't going to do anything.

so what would you suggest i do?

6 minutes ago, MoriMori said:

so what would you suggest i do?

Was it a full size stove or something like a toaster oven?

6 minutes ago, Vitamanic said:

Was it a full size stove or something like a toaster oven?

full size

48 minutes ago, MoriMori said:

maybe even leave it hot with a door open to kill all the bacterias?

Forget bacteria, there could be lead residue on your oven, which is highly toxic, and a bunch of other nasty stuff. You need a new oven.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 minutes ago, MoriMori said:

full size

I really don't know short of contacting a repair person and telling them there may have been noxious metal gas or whatever released in the oven. Definitely don't run it again as you don't want to keep releasing what's already in there.

That said, just please be safe and not use it. Even if parents or spouses or whoever may be angry, it's not worth the small chance of someone getting seriously ill.

This is one of those better safe than sorry situations if you ask me. Out of curiosity what did you put in it, also did it work at all?

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

Lead has been banned from consumer electronics for more than a decade. But you can get decomposition residues from the various plastics, resins, soldermask and paints...

Would need some really good cleaning, without knowing how to efficiently do said really good cleaning.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

It has been said in ALL videos i have seen so far - do not use an oven for things like that that if you intend to use for food after it.

Get a new one, it isn't worth the risk of getting a serious poisoning from metals and other harmful stuff. Search for used ovens, they are not that expensive.

ESL Profile: https://play.eslgaming.com/player/2432327/

F@H Profile: https://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=847206

Old System:                                                                 Current System :

i7-3770k + Cooler Master Hyper 212                           i9 9900k + Noctua NH-D15

Gigabyte Z77M-D3H                                                    Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master

Evga Geforce GTX 970 SC                                          GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING OC (F@H OC +70core/+580 mem)

HyperX FURY Red 16GB  DDR3 1600                        Corsair Vengeance  LPX 2x16GB DDR4 3200

bequiet PURE POWER 600W 80+ bronze                  Corsair RM 650x 80+ gold

Samsung 850 Evo 120 GB + 1TB HDD                       Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB 

Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB 

Iirc RoHS came in 2006, so graphics cards after 2006 shouldn't have leaded tin inside them. I used my home oven for reflowing a couple of old graphics cards and I haven't died of lead poisoning yet.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

You will be fine. Ive done it plenty of times with xbox 360s. And my oven gets used for food atleast twice a day (we dont have a microwave).

The chances of you getting some sort of metal poisoning from this is pretty slim. You breathe in worse things just walking around most towns.

You can buy commercial oven cleaner if you are really worried about it though.

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

Lead has been banned from consumer electronics for more than a decade. But you can get decomposition residues from the various plastics, resins, soldermask and paints...

Would need some really good cleaning, without knowing how to efficiently do said really good cleaning.

36 minutes ago, Underi said:

Iirc RoHS came in 2006, so graphics cards after 2006 shouldn't have leaded tin inside them. I used my home oven for reflowing a couple of old graphics cards and I haven't died of lead poisoning yet.

RoHS includes exemptions for lead solder. It's also not enforced everywhere, it's a EU thing. Additionally, lead isn't the only toxic thing going on in a video card.

I hope you're old enough to have your own house and that it was your own oven. Can't image your parents will be too thrilled about having to buy a new oven

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Arika S said:

I hope you're old enough to have your own house and that it was your own oven. Can't image your parents will be too thrilled about having to buy a new oven

very inspiring :)

40 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

You will be fine. Ive done it plenty of times with xbox 360s. And my oven gets used for food atleast twice a day (we dont have a microwave).

The chances of you getting some sort of metal poisoning from this is pretty slim. You breathe in worse things just walking around most towns.

You can buy commercial oven cleaner if you are really worried about it though.

58 minutes ago, Underi said:

i did it with a gtx 750 which was manufactured way after 2006.. also i live in Israel so i guess this eu restriction he was talking about apples on me

anyway im gonna heat it up and vent it, go over it with a clean wet towel and go over it again with alcohol, thanks for help anyway

1 minute ago, MoriMori said:

very inspiring :)

i did it with a gtx 750 which was manufactured way after 2006.. also i live in Israel so i guess this eu restriction he was talking about apples on me

anyway im gonna heat it up and vent it, go over it with a clean wet towel and go over it again with alcohol, thanks for help anyway

Vinegar works really well too for cleaning ovens or flat tops. Basically anything acidic.

Its going to smell horrible though. I wait till after customers have left and use it and it amazing how well it works.

If it was my oven I'd probably just clean it really well with some solvent, then follow up with some soap and water. The quantity of toxic material released from baking the card is so small (if any at all) that a good scrub will remove it all. Replacing the whole oven is way overreacting IMO.