Power supply for MSI X570-A PRO ATX AM4 mb

debindaphne

I'm trying to put together a video editing build to replace my current PC, and I keep getting a compatibility warning from PC Part Picker:

The MSI X570-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.

Can anyone recommend a power supply that has whatever extra power connector is needed? I can't find a way to filter for it in the part picker, and the compatibility filter is not helping.

You don't need that extra cable.

One 8 pin EPS is already included on any quality PSU, which carries 384W of CPU power. You don't need any more, which is what that 4 pin is for.

P.S. I would advice against that board:

Otherwise the build looks pretty good.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Thanks for the advice on the board. I've already been burned once in my life by a defective mb, don't need another go at it!

With a B450 board, am I going to be stuck trying to update bios for a Ryzen 5 3600X? Also, I was trying to get 128gb total RAM capacity (not going there yet, but might in the future). I'll look at the Tomahawk.

16 hours ago, debindaphne said:

Thanks for the advice on the board. I've already been burned once in my life by a defective mb, don't need another go at it!

With a B450 board, am I going to be stuck trying to update bios for a Ryzen 5 3600X? Also, I was trying to get 128gb total RAM capacity (not going there yet, but might in the future). I'll look at the Tomahawk.

If you get the B450 Tomahawk MAX (or really any MAX board) is updated out of the box.

Really, it would be surprising if a B450 board wasn't updated at this point.. but I guess it could be possible.

128GB RAM will be difficult on most consumer boards, most will support up to 64GB (16GB DIMMs).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

With a ryzen 3600x cpu...stick with the x570 chipset boards to unlock the power of that cpu. x570 chipset boards have a max of 128GB of memory. Only 64GB with the b450 chipset.

I have the MSI x570 a-pro. Regardless or what folks say, I found this to be a good workhorse of a board. It games well also. I mostly use it for photo and video editing. It is solid. Most of the bad reviews I read on newegg and amazon are by  newbs that appear to have not built systems. I have an older MSI board still running 24hrs a day 7 days a week for 6 years, stuck in a closet, with No issues other than changing out a bad power supply. So, naturally I went with this brand. There are lots of reviews about the board not posting. Some folks do not realize that not all chips have a built in gpu. 

I had an older psu that was only 400 watts. This was not enough to drive and overclock my processor and amd rx 590 gpu. I had to upgrade to the EVGA Supernova 650 G+ since my other power supply would overheat and the system would shut down. I like the modular design of this EVGA psu, Whatever brand you use, you will need a psu with 2 cpu connectors for this board if you want to use your cpu to it's full potential.

The board will work with just the 8 pin  connector for the cpu, but it strongly not recommended. If you have to use that set up, make sure you turn off any overclocking in the bios of the board or your system may shut off when overclocking kicks in. According to the manua, you have to have the second power supply connected. It is not an option.

This board also handles lots of memory configurations and has a lot of memory overclocking options. I am running 2.16 GB DDR4 3600MHZ. Memory speed is CPU dependent. You can put faster  memory on the board, but the speed totally depends on your CPU parameters.

The b450 and x570 are 2 different animals. The x570 chipset is great if you are using  ryzen 3000 series cpu to utilize it;s PCI-E 4.0 & M.2 Gen 4 features. I moved windows 10 from an ssd to a gen 4 PCIe m.2 (with a heat sink) and the system boots in the blink of an eye. My last build was in 2012 using AMD FX-8350 and am3+ board. It is still fast, but my current build is like slicing through melted butter compared to refrigerated butter. Very fast and smooth with anything I throw at it.