Hold on to those christmas wishlists - AIB RX 5500 to be released + review

williamcll

Update, RX 5500 will remain OEM, and the XT version will carry the same specs as the non-XT version, but will come with a 4GB OR 8GB variants 

AMD-Radeon-RX-5500-1024x575.jpg

Currently, the mid-low range graphics card Radeon RX 5500 is only limited to OEM and mobile version. According to Chinese forums (see source) it is said that AMD will be releasing AIB models on December 12th as well as ending production of RX 590

20191008_090253_730.png

AMD launched the RX 5500 line-up in the OEM market in early October. Recent reports suggest that the custom variations of the Navi 14 based graphics card are set to hit the market by the 12th of December. ITHome reports that AMD has internally briefed AIBs regarding the launch of the custom RX 5500 GPUs.The RX 5500 line-up is based on the RDNA microarchitecture, using the 7nm process. In terms of raw specs, the RX 5500XT can deliver up to 5.2 TFLOPS of computing performance at a TBP of 110W. It also includes 8GB of GDDR6 memory, while the non-XT variant comes included with 4GB of memory.

The RX 5500 will be AMD’s direct response to NVIDIA’s GTX 1650. As per AMD’s claims, the RX 5500 is 37% faster than the GTX 1650 (which has been since replaced by the 1650 Super). However, according to testing done by TechPowerUp, the OEM version falls behind the 1650 Super by only 5%. As for how it stacks up against the GTX 1650, the former is quite far ahead in benchmarks, with up to 85% leads in some specific titles. Builds with a Ryzen processor paired with a 5500 will offer stiff competition to NVIDIA’s budget gaming offerings.

One more thing to note is that the custom variants will have a much more robust cooling solution as compared to the standard heatsinks featured in the OEM variants. If the Navi 14 GPUs will outperform NVIDIA’s offerings remains to be seen. But with a good enough design and a fairly decent cooling solution, it is quite likely that the RX 5500 will be on par with the other budget offerings on the market, if not better.AMD is expected to launch the RX 5500 around the $150 mark. Further details will emerge as the launch window nears. Till then, stay tuned.

Additionally, Techpowerup has recently also done a review of the OEM model of the 5500, noting that it has similar performance to the Nvidia GTX 1650 SUPER

average-fps-2560-1440.pngaverage-fps_2560_1440.png

Source:https://www.techquila.co.in/amd-rx-5500-launch-12-december/

https://www.ithome.com/0/459/620.htm

http://www.boardchannels.com.cn/viewthread.php?tid=99901

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-5500/
Thoughts: As of Right now, Nvidia still has good control over the midrange market as the RX 500 series never had a strong footing. Depending on how aggressive the card will be priced it will certain give current system builders more choices.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

We have the RX 580 to satiate us for the time being, what I really wanna see is the 5900 XT to clap back at the 2080 ti.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just looked up the 1080p results which doesn't really change things other than more fps across the board. A guess it is a good refresh for the market segment of budget limited builds, assuming the street pricing falls in line.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Good for new tech in that segment. Evenually full lineup. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Where is your return to actual flagship cards, AMD. This is getting kind of pathetic 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I assume the RX 500 series would get massive price cuts once the 5500 releases, so I might just grab a RX 590 if it drops under $100, would be hell of a deal.

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Where is your return to actual flagship cards, AMD. This is getting kind of pathetic 

It's been like 2 years + of shit average from them,  then over the last few months we have had some promising news come out and sneak peaks at what looked like AMD might actually be a contender,  then you blink your eyes and we are back to releasing middle of the road stuff again and these big navi rumors are once again somewhere in the unknown future.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

It's been like 2 years + of shit average from them,  then over the last few months we have had some promising news come out and sneak peaks at what looked like AMD might actually be a contender,  then you blink your eyes and we are back to releasing middle of the road stuff again and these big navi rumors are once again somewhere in the unknown future.

Oh, they'll definitely pull a typical AMD. They'll release big Navi when NVidia releases their cards in the summer, thinking it'll compete. Only, the reality will be it'll get crushed, and even their "aggressive" pricing won't make up for the performance difference. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

18 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

We have the RX 580 to satiate us for the time being, what I really wanna see is the 5900 XT to clap back at the 2080 ti.

I been waiting a long time to see them come at Nvidia the way they have Intel.

I'm not holding my breath. They seem convinced that the low end is the way to go, not realizing that a lack of any top tier product that challenges their competition makes them look like the "weird, cheap brand that isn't really worth using".

They're like the hi-point of the graphics card world.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

9 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I'm not holding my breath. They seem convinced that the low end is the way to go, not realizing that a lack of any top tier product that challenges their competition makes them look like the "weird, cheap brand that isn't really worth using".

That is a very good point, many people think that,  I've came to the same conclusion after unsuccessfully trying to get a 580 not run like shit (I tried everything but I digress) 

But I honestly believe it's not AMD not understanding that,  it's simply they are in no position to do this,  they do not have the means nor the know how. 

That's the only explanation how that makes sense,  why else wouldn't they just release a card that's actually on par with 2080ti?

As long they don't do this they will not break the cycle and most people will avoid them like the plague. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I've came to the same conclusion after unsuccessfully trying to get a 580 not run like shit (I tried everything but I digress) 

what do you exactly mean by that? why is your rx 580 runing like shit?

:)

12 minutes ago, shazammm said:

what do you exactly mean by that? why is your rx 580 runing like shit?

How am I supposed to know? I tried a whole day then gave it back and bought a 1060 instead.  Which literally just worked lol.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

How am I supposed to know? I tried a whole day then gave it back and bought a 1060 instead.  Which literally just worked lol.

when you're saying it's runing like shit that should manifest somehow. like low fps ,high temps,stutter etc. and you probably just getting a bad model from factory when most of the cards work fine shouldn't generalise on the whole brand

:)

31 minutes ago, shazammm said:

when you're saying it's runing like shit that should manifest somehow. like low fps ,high temps,stutter etc. and you probably just getting a bad model from factory when most of the cards work fine shouldn't generalise on the whole brand

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-amd-radeon-discrete-gpu-market-share-q3-2019/

There's a reason for these numbers ...  

It's not just me. 

If AMD wants to change this they need to get better,  better drivers,  better support,  no more "just turn off vsync lol" and an actual high end offering. 

I want an actual competition to Nvidia like everyone else trust me,  but in its current state AMD isn't that.  They're successful with their CPUs and they should just focus on that honestly,  and I think that's actually what they're doing... 

Still competition in the GPU space would be nice,  maybe Intel, eh?

Although they seem to face similar issues than AMD in that space,  sadly. It kinda looks like they aren't even trying,  there should be way more hype if they're really serious about making dedicated GPUs soon,  like next year was the rumors,  right? 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, Caroline said:

They shouldn't ditch low end cards in favor of ultra high end stuff like the Titan cards

No one said they should though. 

Just that they need something to compete with NV at the high end.  Which means have at least one offer at 2080ti levels. 

This is all about perception,  market penetration,  mind share. 

As it it is now NV could crush them completely with competitive pricing, the only reason they don't is because that would surely be against tons of market regulation laws and also create a monopoly which goes against even more market regulation laws. :)

Also you quoted the wrong person (or post) btw lol. ;)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 11/29/2019 at 7:56 AM, Tegos said:

Seeing as the RX 580 is still faster than the 5500, I think it'll be more worth it to upgrade to a 580/590 once the 5500 releases. To me at least.

Esp in the US. Where you can find used 580s for around $100.

To me this whole release makes no sense. 

18 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

Esp in the US. Where you can find used 580s for around $100.

To me this whole release makes no sense. 

The argument for the 5500 is the much lower TDP compared to the 580. But it's kinda moot since you still need to hook up a power supply cable to the GPU. 

4 hours ago, kokakolia said:

The argument for the 5500 is the much lower TDP compared to the 580. But it's kinda moot since you still need to hook up a power supply cable to the GPU. 

Yea i mean if its for upgrading a budget prebuilt then i could see that.

But with 580s going for $100 used i couldnt see it making sense for anyone to spend another $50 on a 5500.

Hell i just sold a 1070 for $200 and ive seen multiple 1070s for that price everywhere. Used market right now is amazing.

Now this is of course up to the user on if they trust used parts. personally i try to go used any chance i get and seldom have any issue but other results may very.

On 11/29/2019 at 7:19 PM, Trik'Stari said:

Sadly nvidia isnt stuck on ++++ so wouldnt happen unless AMD has a ridiculous jump in preformance

✨FNIGE✨

On 11/29/2019 at 1:49 PM, Trik'Stari said:

I don't think they are convinced that low end is the way to go. I think they have limited 7nm supply from TSMC and have decided that they can make much more money if they use those dies to product Ryzen, Threadripper and Epyc. Even amongst CPUs they are prioritizing Epyc, then Threadripper, so the supply of bigger Ryzen chips is also not enough to cater to the demand.

Hopefully within the next few months they will get ample supply and no longer have to choose between CPU and GPU markets. They have done most of the hard work creating RDNA, which is so much better than GCN for gaming, it would be a shame to not produce high end chips.

LOL Going by AMD's recent pattern they will match the 2080ti once Nvidia launches the 3080ti. ?

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

I don't think they are convinced that low end is the way to go. I think they have limited 7nm supply from TSMC and have decided that they can make much more money if they use those dies to product Ryzen, Threadripper and Epyc. Even amongst CPUs they are prioritizing Epyc, then Threadripper, so the supply of bigger Ryzen chips is also not enough to cater to the demand.

Hopefully within the next few months they will get ample supply and no longer have to choose between CPU and GPU markets. They have done most of the hard work creating RDNA, which is so much better than GCN for gaming, it would be a shame to not produce high end chips.

LOL Going by AMD's recent pattern they will match the 2080ti once Nvidia launches the 3080ti. ?

I just want them to actually give the appearance of trying. I'd really love to be able to not give Nvidia any money on my next upgrade.

Intel too, for that matter. Although that's much more reasonable since AMD has been kicking their ass for a while now.

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

I just want them to actually give the appearance of trying. I'd really love to be able to not give Nvidia any money on my next upgrade.

Intel too, for that matter. Although that's much more reasonable since AMD has been kicking their ass for a while now.

Well apparently AMD is announcing RDNA 2.0 GPUs next month at CES. Hopefully those are high end parts.

30 minutes ago, Humbug said:

Well apparently AMD is announcing RDNA 2.0 GPUs next month at CES. Hopefully those are high end parts.

Didn't realize we were that close to CES.

Awesome.

The big change I have found in general of the new cards vs the old is that the new ones don’t have dual-link, or even single link, dvi.  I suspect this will push a lot of users with old monitors to buy new ones.  Not much of a savings for a low end user of dual-link dvi if they have to buy a new monitor to run the card.  There are plenty of adaptors for single link available.  Dual link seems to be harder though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.