How to upgrade a laptops wifi/BT card

ricardodacp

Hey,

I have an Asus laptop with a 2.4ghz wifi/BT card and when using all my BT peripherals together, the wifi as a hard time to work and I'm guessing it's the 2.4ghz signal getting bottlenecked.

Even if it wasn't, I'd like to have 5ghz since both my home and office have it. All I know is the card's name "Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565" (the result of running lshw -C network in terminal) ,but I don't know anything about wifi or bt cards for laptops and I'm loooking for some help in if I can even upgrade it and if I can, what cards are a good (or the best) upgrade.

Thanks!

What is your laptop model? Modern wifi cards is equipped with a BT module

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Just now, DoctorNick said:

What is your laptop model?

The Asus X555LJ-5R92W1B

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

2 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

That Intel amazon link is your upgrade recommendation?

If so, why that model in particular? (just by curiosity)

Just now, ricardodacp said:

Not that model... Just found out that your pc only has one wifi antenna.. Unless its different on yours. Because it's the newest model that still uses this interface.

FS in Denmark/EU:

4 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Not that model... Just found out that your pc only has one wifi antenna.. Unless its different on yours. Because it's the newest model that still uses this interface.

I have never flipped the motherboard to check the card side, but everything else looks the same as that disassembly guide

9 minutes ago, ricardodacp said:

Ok forget what I just said. If you look at the wifi card, then you see 2 points for antennas. One says main and the other is AUX. You can just use main and you'll be fine. The Intel cards runs great!

510qo6S4AEL._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg

FS in Denmark/EU:

2 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Ok forget what I just said. If you look at the wifi card, then you see 2 points for antennas. One says main and the other is AUX. You can just use main and you'll be fine. The Intel cards runs great!

And are we talking about a wifi and bt combo card here? I wasn't sure if it's the same for both

2 minutes ago, ricardodacp said:

And are we talking about a wifi and bt combo card here? I wasn't sure if it's the same for both

Yes it is. https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/dual-band-wireless-ac-7260-bluetooth-brief.pdf

But of course if you only have one antenna, you'll only be able to use one "stream" aka a max theoretical  speed of 433mbps

FS in Denmark/EU:

Just now, ricardodacp said:

Alrighty, thank you very much! Also, now that you're sure about the card, may I ask again why that model?

Yes it's the fastest model you can get in that form factor - Newer and more expensive laptops uses a different form factor, which is not supported by your PC.

FS in Denmark/EU:

Just now, DoctorNick said:

Yes it's the fastest model you can get in that form factor - Newer and more expensive laptops uses a different form factor, which is not supported by your PC.

Lovely! Thanks again, it was very helpful. ?

1 minute ago, ricardodacp said:

Lovely! Thanks again, it was very helpful. ?

just glad to help :)

FS in Denmark/EU: