Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thegreatestusername

Will I need text scaling for 27" 1440p?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi all!

I'm thinking about getting a 27" 1440p monitor (moving up from same size at 1080p). Sitting about 60cm (2ft) away. At that higher resolution, do you think I will need to enable Windows text scaling to increase the font sizes? And if so, will it be a good experience in 2019, or is it still blurry?

3 minutes ago, thegreatestusername said:

Hi all!

I'm thinking about getting a 27" 1440p monitor (moving up from same size at 1080p). Sitting about 60cm (2ft) away. At that higher resolution, do you think I will need to enable Windows text scaling to increase the font sizes? And if so, will it be a good experience in 2019, or is it still blurry?

Only a 1440p 60hz monitor? or 144hz? at what budget/country?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

6 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Only a 1440p 60hz monitor? or 144hz? at what budget/country?

144hz. I already have my eye on the specific monitor (Dell S2719DGF), but I'm just wondering it the increase in resolution at 27" will mean I will need to use Windows text scaling to increase the size of the text. Because text gets smaller as the resolution goes up.

6 minutes ago, WereCat said:

no

27" is fine without scaling at that distance 

Cool. I've seen lots of threads online with people saying they use around 120% scaling for 1440p 27". Perhaps they just have bad eyesight?

My other option is getting a 1080p 25" high refresh rate. That should increase the PPI a bit from what I'm used to at least.

2 minutes ago, thegreatestusername said:

I was just going to mention if you're in the US monoprice has their Zero G ultraiwde for $299 100-120hz with free-sync.

but it's only 120ppi, it's not a huge increase over a 24" 1080p display. You can enable DSR or VSR in your GPU drivers, to run your desktop at a higher resolution and get a feel for the size.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38035

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I sit around the same distance away from my screen and have a 27" 4K at 100% scaling so.... 

Programs all work fine, I do have to zoom in websites to about 150% though. 

"those times will never come back :("

"The greatest part of the brain is memory, the worst thing that comes from memory is nostalgia. We remember but we can never go back!"

"There's no such thing as perfect. You're beautiful as you are Courage. With all your imperfections you can do anything." - Bathtub Barracuda

"Wish i could find a way to stop the pain.         -         Besides the one that i keep thinking of."

My gear:                    

Spoiler

PC:

The brains: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 ||

The torso: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon ||

Short term memory: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz ||

Pixel pusher: EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Gaming || 

Where I store memes: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB || 

Un-heater: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 ||

Carboard box: Thermaltake Core G21 TG ||

Power squid: Corsair RM750x ||

Peripherals:

Sound helmet: Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 Ohm ||

Clickity-clack (sadly not clicky :() : Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB ||

Return the (drawing) slab! : Wacom Intuos Pen Small (2015) ||

Rodent: Asus ROG Gladius ||

Cloth for rodent: CM Storm Swift-RX XXL ||

Old PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 255 || Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO || RAM: 4x2GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia Quadro 512MB || Case: Antec Sonata III || PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W Bronze

Setup: Current setup

It all depends on your eyesight. I was using a 22" 1080p monitor for some time and I decided on upgrading since the pixels were too small for my poor eyesight so to say (reading was straining) and I considered 27" 1440p. Until I did the calculations to determine the pixel sizes of 22" 1080p, 24" 1080p (which was fine and I consider it the optimal for 1080p), 27" 1440p and 32" 1440p. The 32" 1440p has roughly the same pixel size as an 24" 1080p and that proved ideal for me - I have no regrets with the LG 32GK650F.

19 minutes ago, thegreatestusername said:

Cool. I've seen lots of threads online with people saying they use around 120% scaling for 1440p 27". Perhaps they just have bad eyesight?

My other option is getting a 1080p 25" high refresh rate. That should increase the PPI a bit from what I'm used to at least.

I have 27" and 32" 1440p and I use no scaling. 

I don't have a perfect eye sight. I have to focus a bit if I lean back away from the 32" (about 70-80cm away). 

50 minutes ago, thegreatestusername said:

Hi all!

i would go to 31.5 inches that way you don't have to worry about it!

1 hour ago, minibois said:

I sit around the same distance away from my screen and have a 27" 4K at 100% scaling so.... 

Programs all work fine, I do have to zoom in websites to about 150% though. 

Good to hear! And the sites still look fine (normal) after zooming?

1 hour ago, 191x7 said:

It all depends on your eyesight. I was using a 22" 1080p monitor for some time and I decided on upgrading since the pixels were too small for my poor eyesight so to say (reading was straining) and I considered 27" 1440p. Until I did the calculations to determine the pixel sizes of 22" 1080p, 24" 1080p (which was fine and I consider it the optimal for 1080p), 27" 1440p and 32" 1440p. The 32" 1440p has roughly the same pixel size as an 24" 1080p and that proved ideal for me - I have no regrets with the LG 32GK650F.

Yeah, that's the trouble. Some of this is subjective. So, if my choice was between a 27" 1440p or a 24/25" 1080p, you'd recommend the smaller one? Since, 1440p at 27" might make the text quite small, and bring in a need for scaling.

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

I have 27" and 32" 1440p and I use no scaling. 

I don't have a perfect eye sight. I have to focus a bit if I lean back away from the 32" (about 70-80cm away). 

Cool. Do you know how far away you usually sit when reading?

4 minutes ago, thegreatestusername said:

Yeah, that's the trouble. Some of this is subjective. So, if my choice was between a 27" 1440p or a 24/25" 1080p, you'd recommend the smaller one? Since, 1440p at 27" might make the text quite small, and bring in a need for scaling.

Scaling, in my opinion, is a bad thing. Poorly done in Windows.

I would choose a 24" 1080p over an 27" 1440p FOR ME if I had to work a lot on it. For gaming/etc I'd still go 1440p.

32" 1440p shouldn't be that more expensive than 27" 1440p so...

4 minutes ago, thegreatestusername said:

Yea. There are exceptions though...But generally it all works fine for me.

Usually I have pages zoomed in around 130-150%.

Are you gonna be using another monitor at the same time? At least Google Chrome it syncs up the website scaling across all windows.

What I mean, if I open google.com on my 4K 27" and 1080p 24" and zoom it in on my 4K 27" (which I would do to get easily readible text) it also zooms in on the 24".

The zoom level is linked to a website, rather than window.

For example, I have YouTube open mainly on my 1080p 24" and thus it's at 100% or 90%. When I open YouTube on my 4K 27" (which I rarely do) I can barely read the text.. but not very easily or comfortably.

But of course that is my personal opinion and I always implore people to try something like a monitor out in a store or whatever.

"those times will never come back :("

"The greatest part of the brain is memory, the worst thing that comes from memory is nostalgia. We remember but we can never go back!"

"There's no such thing as perfect. You're beautiful as you are Courage. With all your imperfections you can do anything." - Bathtub Barracuda

"Wish i could find a way to stop the pain.         -         Besides the one that i keep thinking of."

My gear:                    

Spoiler

PC:

The brains: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 ||

The torso: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon ||

Short term memory: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz ||

Pixel pusher: EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Gaming || 

Where I store memes: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB || 

Un-heater: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 ||

Carboard box: Thermaltake Core G21 TG ||

Power squid: Corsair RM750x ||

Peripherals:

Sound helmet: Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 Ohm ||

Clickity-clack (sadly not clicky :() : Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB ||

Return the (drawing) slab! : Wacom Intuos Pen Small (2015) ||

Rodent: Asus ROG Gladius ||

Cloth for rodent: CM Storm Swift-RX XXL ||

Old PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 255 || Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO || RAM: 4x2GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia Quadro 512MB || Case: Antec Sonata III || PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W Bronze

Setup: Current setup

21 minutes ago, thegreatestusername said:

Cool. Do you know how far away you usually sit when reading?

about 50cm

No. Wouldn't necessarily say you'd need for 24"1440p even, at least I can see fine. 

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10

21 minutes ago, thegreatestusername said:

Awesome! :) Which monitor do you have? Dell S2417DG?
And how far away from it do you sit?

Nah, an Acer IPS one. Got more monitors, and I sit arm distance from.

Ryzen 7 3800X | X570 Aorus Elite | G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz C16 | Radeon RX 5700 XT | Samsung 850 PRO 256GB | Mouse: Zowie S1 | OS: Windows 10