Windows System hang / unresponsive after duo booting Ubuntu.

Just installed Ubuntu on a secondary drive in my laptop. After installation everything works fine except when I boot into windows again windows keep trying to read my Linux drive and keep failing at doing it. So the whole system hangs randomly to the point that I can’t use it anymore. 

is there any fix for this? Linux partition works fine. 

thanks in advance. 

CEDC579C-B323-4BC8-84B9-14BB445A1762.jpeg

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

And now CPU usage is spiking. 

did anyone encounter this kind of issue before? 

When I setup my laptop to dual-boot I created two partitions on a single drive and installed one OS to each. Windows should ignore the drive except for what it reports about it in Disk Management. My guess is it's continuously trying to mount the drive or something similar.

You could offline the drive in Disk Management or Disable it in Device Manager. I assume you don't need Windows to try to access it (if you used ext4 I don't Windows could even if you wanted it to). In theory this will make Windows ignore it but upon restarts should not affect it in any way when you want to boot to it.

14 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

When I setup my laptop to dual-boot I created two partitions on a single drive and installed one OS to each. Windows should ignore the drive except for what it reports about it in Disk Management. My guess is it's continuously trying to mount the drive or something similar.

You could offline the drive in Disk Management or Disable it in Device Manager. I assume you don't need Windows to try to access it (if you used ext4 I don't Windows could even if you wanted it to). In theory this will make Windows ignore it but upon restarts should not affect it in any way when you want to boot to it.

how do i offlne the drive in disk management, could you give me a snpashot???

16 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

if it worked do I hvae to do this everytime I use windows?

41 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

how do i offlne the drive in disk management, could you give me a snpashot???

In disk management it's done like this:

470997483_Screenshotfrom2019-11-2713-20-30.png.f164f700d08cb6776386d6b057c46fd0.png

Right click the disk -> Offline

41 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

if it worked do I hvae to do this everytime I use windows?

No, it should remember that you've offlined the disk. Though I haven't tried this before so don't take my word for it until you test it.

8 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

In disk management it's done like this:

Right click the disk -> Offline

No, it should remember that you've offlined the disk. Though I haven't tried this before so don't take my word for it until you test it.

hey thanks for the update, I just woke up. So in my system I do not have an option thats called "offline drive". 

The windows version I am using is the one comes with my laptop. 

Can I go to the device manager and disable it there?

1 hour ago, mrchow19910319 said:

hey thanks for the update, I just woke up. So in my system I do not have an option thats called "offline drive". 

The windows version I am using is the one comes with my laptop. 

Can I go to the device manager and disable it there?

Disabling the drive in Device Manager would probably be a more fullproof means of stopping windows from trying to do stuff with it. What is the exact error message it gives you?

2 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Disabling the drive in Device Manager would probably be a more fullproof means of stopping windows from trying to do stuff with it. What is the exact error message it gives you?

Cannot access D drive. 
unavailable location. 

something  like that. 
my windows is locked in Chinese cos OEM version. 

9 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Cannot access D drive. 
unavailable location. 

something  like that. 
my windows is locked in Chinese cos OEM version. 

I'm going to guess it was still mounted as a D:\ or E:\ drive when you restarted the system to do the install so when it got back into Windows after the Ubuntu install the OS is like "Hey that's the D:\ drive. What partitions are on it? EXT4? What's that? Better notify the user while I bash my ahead against the wall trying to read it."

You can check in Disk Management if it says there's any drive letters associated with the drive. It may allow you to unmount it. (Make sure you have your data backed up on Ubuntu first just in case.)

3 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

I'm going to guess it was still mounted as a D:\ or E:\ drive when you restarted the system to do the install so when it got back into Windows after the Ubuntu install the OS is like "Hey that's the D:\ drive. What partitions are on it? EXT4? What's that? Better notify the user while I bash my ahead against the wall trying to read it."

You can check in Disk Management if it says there's any drive letters associated with the drive. It may allow you to unmount it. (Make sure you have your data backed up on Ubuntu first just in case.)

Hey thanks for the reply. Actually I went to device manager and disabled it. Lol. Now everything seems fine. :) thanks for the help.