Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrchow19910319

Ubuntu 18.04 VS 16.04 for thinkpad E495

Recommended Posts

Both should be fine as they are still supported. Just go with 18.04 unless you have reasons to use 16.04.


Skynet: MacBook Pro Late 2016 Space Gray | i7-6820HQ 2.7 GHz | 16 GB LPDDR3 | Radeon Pro 455 2048 MB | 512 GB NVMe SSD | 15" 2880x1800

HAL9000: Intel i5-9600k | Cryorig M9 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Gigabyte Z390I AORUS PRO WIFI | MSI GTX 1080 Ti SeaHawk X | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Corsair TX650M | NZXT H210i | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Xeon E5-2675 v3 | Cooler Master Hyper 212X | 64 GB Kingston/Samsung DDR4 ECC | Asus Z10PA-D8 | Corsair HX1000 | 256 GB Samsung 850 Evo + 3x 3 TB WD Red + 2 TB Seagate | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.7.0

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, jj9987 said:

Both should be fine as they are still supported. Just go with 18.04 unless you have reasons to use 16.04.

noted thanks!!


If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Both are LTS and I've used both in production servers. If it's stable enough for a production server, it should be stable enough for you.

LTS releases are generally good bet but I always wait for a x.04.1 release of an LTS before installing it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Trinopoty said:

Both are LTS and I've used both in production servers. If it's stable enough for a production server, it should be stable enough for you.

LTS releases are generally good bet but I always wait for a x.04.1 release of an LTS before installing it.

I see. Thanks.

 

I am not really questioning the stability of the OS, more like how well my machine can take it.

It runs a Ryzen 3500U CPU with 16GB of RAM. 

 

I am afraid that Ryzen and Linux do not mix....


If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I see. Thanks.

 

I am not really questioning the stability of the OS, more like how well my machine can take it.

It runs a Ryzen 3500U CPU with 16GB of RAM. 

 

I am afraid that Ryzen and Linux do not mix....

I haven't run that exact (or similar) configuration but I would imagine Ubuntu would run just fine on just about any modern hardware. If compatibility is your issue, go with the later releases. They have updated kernel and drivers that may solve your issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Trinopoty said:

I haven't run that exact (or similar) configuration but I would imagine Ubuntu would run just fine on just about any modern hardware. If compatibility is your issue, go with the later releases. They have updated kernel and drivers that may solve your issue.

thanks I will check out those additional driver later.


If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I see. Thanks.

 

I am not really questioning the stability of the OS, more like how well my machine can take it.

It runs a Ryzen 3500U CPU with 16GB of RAM. 

 

I am afraid that Ryzen and Linux do not mix....

Linux can run on arms and a host of other cpus. Why wouldnt it run on ryzen?


Sudo make me a sandwich 

 

Check out my guide on creating your own private cloud storage

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2019 at 7:37 PM, mrchow19910319 said:

I see. Thanks.

 

I am not really questioning the stability of the OS, more like how well my machine can take it.

It runs a Ryzen 3500U CPU with 16GB of RAM. 

 

I am afraid that Ryzen and Linux do not mix....

Might to check which kernel is running for the Ryzen drivers.

 

I would suggest 18 over 16.


                     ¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

Might to check which kernel is running for the Ryzen drivers.

 

I would suggest 18 over 16.

I am running ubuntu 18.04 along side with windows 10 with 0 problems. 

Wifi bluetooth all those works. Even keyboard shortcuts works.

 

:) 


If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×