Cooler for Ryzen 7 3700X

Dobby_is_free

I want to upgrade from the stock cooler that came with my 3700X. I've been looking at the Noctua NH-U12S Chromax black. Will the U12S be good for a 3700X or is there a better option?

Why sidegrade?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I would get the U12A instead of the U12S. Unless you can't stand the poop brown fans.

18 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

Why sidegrade?

This would be a sidegrade?

Just now, Dobby_is_free said:

This would be a sidegrade?

Cooling wise yes, noise wise might be better? but these are all too close to one another, I would certainly disregard the Dark Rock Slim suggestion and aim for the U12A stated above or a Dark Rock 4 at the very least otherwise you're pretty much spending without much reason.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

Cooling wise yes, noise wise might be better? but these are all too close to one another, I would certainly disregard the Dark Rock Slim suggestion and aim for the U12A stated above or a Dark Rock 4 at the very least otherwise you're pretty much spending without much reason.

What about NH-D15 Chromax black?

4 minutes ago, Dobby_is_free said:

What about NH-D15 Chromax black?

Then that would definitely be an upgrade across the board

Personal Desktop":

2 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

Then that would definitely be an upgrade across the board

So the U12S wouldn't be any better compared to the wraith prism so I should go for the NH-D15? Also dumb question but because the Nh-d15 covers the ram can it affect my ram temps?

Question is why do you want to change the cooler?  Looks? Thermals? Noise? because you want to?  Do you run your chip stock or at some level of overclock?

On a stock chip the prism should run both cool and quiet, assuming your case has average or better airflow.  A mild overclock, depending on use case it can be argued that the prism might be OK, however this would be when an aftermarket solution shines.  Every cooler mentioned will run quieter when going full tilt, however this matters comes back to your use case.

I run the prism on low fan speed and have my case airflow setup fairly well, with the chip running stock I cant crack 73 degrees (running stress tests) and the prism stays reasonably quiet.  In games (my use) I never hear the prism.  When using PBO and the 200 mhz auto OC, the prism cant keep up on low fan speed during stress tests but is still mostly quiet in games.

Upgrading for looks or because you want to, pick something you like and enjoy!

3 hours ago, OldHunter said:

Question is why do you want to change the cooler?  Looks? Thermals? Noise? because you want to?  Do you run your chip stock or at some level of overclock?

On a stock chip the prism should run both cool and quiet, assuming your case has average or better airflow.  A mild overclock, depending on use case it can be argued that the prism might be OK, however this would be when an aftermarket solution shines.  Every cooler mentioned will run quieter when going full tilt, however this matters comes back to your use case.

I run the prism on low fan speed and have my case airflow setup fairly well, with the chip running stock I cant crack 73 degrees (running stress tests) and the prism stays reasonably quiet.  In games (my use) I never hear the prism.  When using PBO and the 200 mhz auto OC, the prism cant keep up on low fan speed during stress tests but is still mostly quiet in games.

Upgrading for looks or because you want to, pick something you like and enjoy!

My reason would be to reduce noise and maybe do a little bit of OC although I'm a little scared to. My prism can rev up sometimes when gaming, I think is is because I have a dark base 700 as kycase so airflow isn't terrible but isn't amazing either

On 11/26/2019 at 8:37 AM, Princess Luna said:

Cooling wise yes, noise wise might be better? but these are all too close to one another

It's not a sidegrade. The NH-U12S already performs significantly better along with being much quieter. There's a rumble that never goes away on the Wraith Prism. 

Here are some examples of it compared to the similar Wraith Max: 

http://www.ddworld.cz/pc-a-komponenty/procesory-a-pameti/chladime-amd-ryzen-procesor-test-wraith-max-spire-stealth-a-noctua-d15-u12s-a-l9x65-6.html

https://3dnews.ru/954559/page-2.html#Результаты тестирования эффективности охлаждения и их анализ

@Dobby_is_free What kind of features are you looking to upgrade? What's unsatisfactory about the stock cooler?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

t's not a sidegrade.

I meant in regards to the Dark Rock Slim, I did point OP in the direction of the Noctua so he'd have a real improvement though I had more of an idea on the U12A/S rather than "overkill" straight to the NH-D15.

Personal Desktop":

Just now, Princess Luna said:

I meant in regards to the Dark Rock Slim, I did point OP in the direction of the Noctua so he'd have a real improvement though I had more of an idea on the U12A/S rather than "overkill" straight to the NH-D15.

The DR Slim is still far from a sidegrade and is much quieter than the Wraith Prism. It's not far behind the DR4 and arguably a better pick over the NH-U12S if low noise is a higher priority than cooling performance.

https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/cooling/be-quiet-dark-rock-slim-review/2/

https://www.gamezoom.net/artikel/be_quiet_Dark_Rock_Slim_Test_Review-43309-3

A better example of a sidegrade would be a 92mm tower cooler or a shoddy 120mm. Even the Hyper 212 Evo is a slight upgrade over the Wraith Prism. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

3 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The DR Slim is still far from a sidegrade and is much quieter than the Wraith Prism.

Yes I said how noise wise could be better, the only issue was performance wise...I have the DR Slim myself I like the cooler I just don't deem it worthy upgrade from the Prism though sure maybe I was on the wrong here for the assumption.

Thank you for the feedback [:

Personal Desktop":

18 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

It's not a sidegrade. The NH-U12S already performs significantly better along with being much quieter. There's a rumble that never goes away on the Wraith Prism. 

Here are some examples of it compared to the similar Wraith Max: 

http://www.ddworld.cz/pc-a-komponenty/procesory-a-pameti/chladime-amd-ryzen-procesor-test-wraith-max-spire-stealth-a-noctua-d15-u12s-a-l9x65-6.html

https://3dnews.ru/954559/page-2.html#Результаты тестирования эффективности охлаждения и их анализ

@Dobby_is_free What kind of features are you looking to upgrade? What's unsatisfactory about the stock cooler?

I want it too be quiter mainly but also better performance as gaming at only 40% CPU usage it's getting up to like 75°C. Which cooler would you suggest?

58 minutes ago, Dobby_is_free said:

I want it too be quiter mainly but also better performance as gaming at only 40% CPU usage it's getting up to like 75°C. Which cooler would you suggest?

Noctua D15 is probably the gold standard of air cooling, and certainly overkill here. The U12A, BeQuiet coolers mentioned, or similar will probably handle anything you could reasonably do with the 3700X.

I dont know anything about the Dark Base 700 case, But IMO if your hitting 75 degrees at only 40% usage you should put some effort into fixing the case airflow as well.  The best cooler cant do much if its sitting in hot air...

Edit, if I move on from the Prism I will likely get a Scythe Fuma 2, I would get a U12A but I have a height limitation.

3 hours ago, Dobby_is_free said:

75c is fine and may be normal depending on the fan curve. 

What are load temps with a synthetic load like OCCT?

What case and ram are you using? Are there any other features you're looking from a cooler?

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

75c is fine and may be normal depending on the fan curve. 

What are load temps with a synthetic load like OCCT?

What case and ram are you using? Are there any other features you're looking from a cooler?

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

Not really looking for any other features, although RGB might be nice but not a must. My case is the BeQuite dark base 700 and RAM is vengeance LPX. My budget is around $100 but not super strict. I'm new a microcenter but I normally get my stuff from Newegg or Amazon. I havent run any CPU stress tests

On 11/28/2019 at 12:28 PM, Dobby_is_free said:

Not really looking for any other features, although RGB might be nice but not a must. My case is the BeQuite dark base 700 and RAM is vengeance LPX. My budget is around $100 but not super strict. I'm new a microcenter but I normally get my stuff from Newegg or Amazon. I havent run any CPU stress tests

The Wraith Prism seems to already fulfill some of the criteria you're mentioning. 

Why not run some stress temps and see how temps are? If they're fine, you could just stick with it instead. 

Did you connect any of the fans to the case switch/hub or are you letting the motherboard control the fan speeds based on CPU temperature? 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W