nvidia unlocks future gsync for amd gpus

spartaman64
3 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I still haven't seen anyone actually prove that the G-Sync module just adds an extra 200 dollars to the monitor.

All the comparisons I've seen are G-Sync monitors vs significantly worse FreeSync monitors. Of course inferior products are cheaper than good ones.

Yeah most of the time it's not just the module that is different. For the longest time most of the ultra premium panels were used on gsync monitors and not freesync so you couldn't really find a freesync alternative of similar quality. Once they enabled freesync on nvidia cards more companies made premium freesync monitors because there is a bigger market for them now than there was when you had to buy one or the other based on what GPU you had. 

14 minutes ago, pas008 said:

co created? maybe?

vesa does have many members though

dp1.2a had adaptive sync protocol in jan 2013?

freesync 2014

curious myself now you talk about it

Adaptive Sync was based of "Panel self refresh" feature used in the eDP protocol.

It's also at least 3 years older than FreeSync: https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/introducing-the-panel-self-refresh-technology/

There's only 2 possibilities here, either Jen Sun has been taken over by a body snatcher or Nvidia finally realised that Console owners like monitors and allowing G Sync to work with consoles taps into an entire new market.

The timing is a bit convenient for me, about a year before consoles that support VRR release Nvidia finally decide to drop the exclusivity of their proprietary hardware....

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

22 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Adaptive Sync was based of "Panel self refresh" feature used in the eDP protocol.

It's also at least 3 years older than FreeSync: https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/introducing-the-panel-self-refresh-technology/

thx

18 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

There's only 2 possibilities here, either Jen Sun has been taken over by a body snatcher or Nvidia finally realised that Console owners like monitors and allowing G Sync to work with consoles taps into an entire new market.

The timing is a bit convenient for me, about a year before consoles that support VRR release Nvidia finally decide to drop the exclusivity of their proprietary hardware....

intel will be using async too?

59 minutes ago, pas008 said:

co created? maybe?

vesa does have many members though

dp1.2a had adaptive sync protocol in jan 2013?

freesync 2014

curious myself now you talk about it

43 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

yep this makes sense i just remember nvidia showing off g sync and then a day or a few days later amd says it can be done in software and showed variable refresh rate on a laptop demo.

that was 6 years ago? geez time flies.

I'm still rocking a non-special anything 1440p 27" slow IPS korean monitor xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, pas008 said:

intel will be using async too?

Both consoles will be powered by some kind of RDNA GPU.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

7 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Both consoles will be powered by some kind of RDNA GPU.

i know that

i'm adding intel is entering the gpu game and will use async as another possible reason why nvidia is doing this

With use of Fast V-Sync, I just don't care about G-Sync or FreeSync. Been tear free since it was introduced few years ago on regular monitor (it's 144Hz tho which helps a bit).

I am not surprised.   I can't think of a process that didn't end up being opened up in some way after the maximum ROI was realized.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Would be hilarious if we see G-Sync monitors rebranded as Free-Sync compatible. 

14 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Finally we have Freesync compatible monitors!

and dont worry about Nvidia finally doing a good thing. People will somehow make it seem like a bad thing

people who bought gsync monitors already are still locked into nvidia gpus, so i dont see how this is great news. we already have vrr monitors supporting both nvidia and amd without gsync with no real caveat (even lower price mostly). basically no benefit to consumer, just for nvidia selling new monitors to console users? so wheres nvidia doing the good thing?

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

10 minutes ago, Neftex said:

people who bought gsync monitors already are still locked into nvidia gpus, so i dont see how this is great news. we already have vrr monitors supporting both nvidia and amd without gsync with no real caveat (even lower price mostly). basically no benefit to consumer, just for nvidia selling new monitors to console users?

Well if you had beefy AMD GPU and planning to upgrade your monitor, this would be a great news as you could use higher end G-Sync monitor without replacing your GPU to Nvidia one. CMIIW

11 hours ago, Rune said:

As someone with both gsync and freesync monitors, the gsync ultimate experience is still better than gsync on freesync. Is it worth the extra money? Eh.

better how?

Just now, MzHellcat said:

Well if you had beefy AMD GPU and planning to upgrade your monitor, this would be a great news as you could use higher end G-Sync monitor without replacing your GPU to Nvidia one. CMIIW

why would you buy gsync monitor in that case?

21 minutes ago, Neftex said:

better how?

15 minutes ago, Neftex said:

why would you buy gsync monitor in that case?

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2974781/g-sync-vs-freesync-faq-how-variable-refresh-rate-displays-make-pc-games-super-smooth.html?page=2

stricter certification

color gamut etc

just pickiness on details pretty much

10 minutes ago, pas008 said:

bunch of fluff with no substance. shit varies monitor to monitor

heres funny test

"When we first conceived this experiment, we expected the result to swing in favor of the G-Sync monitor... Our testing of the AOC Agon AG241QG and AG241QX proved that theory wrong..."

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-gsync-vs-amd-freesync-test-comparison,39042.html

13 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Rip people that bought g sync monitor. 

RIP?

I doubt money is a problem for people who bought the original G-Sync monitors!

2 hours ago, Neftex said:

so wheres nvidia doing the good thing?

Unlocking their locked vrr program for Vesa adaptive sync. 

Its universally a good thing, regardless of old monitors are supported or not

3 hours ago, Neftex said:

bunch of fluff with no substance. shit varies monitor to monitor

heres funny test

"When we first conceived this experiment, we expected the result to swing in favor of the G-Sync monitor... Our testing of the AOC Agon AG241QG and AG241QX proved that theory wrong..."

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-gsync-vs-amd-freesync-test-comparison,39042.html

someone else's opinion is not invalid because you hold a different opinion.  You call it fluff with no substance, others like it and want to pay for it. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

someone else's opinion is not invalid because you hold a different opinion.  You call it fluff with no substance, others like it and want to pay for it. 

opinions can be wrong, what i call fluff is the article. i see people parroting this "gsync better quality" thing over and over but when you look at real test, its clearly not true

21 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

Great move by nvidia

Only 6 years too late, how nice :P

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Neftex said:

opinions can be wrong, what i call fluff is the article. i see people parroting this "gsync better quality" thing over and over but when you look at real test, its clearly not true

Look at the strict requirements like srgb color gamut

They just don't slap a tag on it

For freesync or gsync compatibility you need to look at numbers of reporting owners to see how well it does the things you want and then its not guaranteed

I get what you are saying but it's not like nvidia is slapping a shit guaranteed on it

47 minutes ago, pas008 said:

Look at the strict requirements like srgb color gamut

They just don't slap a tag on it

For freesync or gsync compatibility you need to look at numbers of reporting owners to see how well it does the things you want and then its not guaranteed

I get what you are saying but it's not like nvidia is slapping a shit guaranteed on it

if a new phone company comes out and says their phone is better than iphones and then compares it to an iphone 2 would that be fair? i think thats what hes getting at the higher end free sync monitors are just as good as the higher end g sync monitors