Is this a bad thermal interface contact?

Go to solution Solved by For Science!,

Not the same GPU, but still relevant. Here are some examples of decent contact, the TM should be pretty much completely squeezed out. EVGA warns about overtightening, but generally I do clamp on the screws about the die fairly tightly.

20180209_214122.jpg20180209_214129.jpg

Before installation:

08.jpg

The card is a 2080 TI FTW3, the block is the Hydro Copper.

With the stock cooler prior to the modding, running a heaven benchmark will only peaks at around 55 degree, stock clock speed.

After installing the water block, the GPU temp can cook up to 85 during the same benchmark, while the VRM 's temp looks right for a water cooled card.

When dismantle, the spread pattern looks like this. IMG_0753.thumb.jpg.98aff8246d73565cfb7d6f1da11b6631.jpg

IMG_0754.jpg

ummm yes thats bad contact...

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Seems like there might be way too much on it

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

not enough pressure.

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

This basically means it doesn't fit.  

Hard to say why,  might be those metal frames surrounding,  but it definitely just doesn't fit. 

And that's way too much thermal paste. 

Can you post pics with everything mounted, from different angles and such? 

But it's just very obvious to me there isn't *any* contact. 

You might need to remove something   but first I'd need to see this mounted.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

28 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Hard to say why,  might be those metal frames surrounding,  but it definitely just doesn't fit. 

B9AC76B3-47AB-4148-8C31-869CC5F71D99.jpeg

A9334586-D063-4FA0-B473-D6CC0B15ECA6.jpeg

11C1BC0F-DF5B-4D55-8D9C-B82972E1E030.jpeg

9FACC21C-D373-4389-8CF5-D52A78987EEF.jpeg

97A36A53-75B5-4931-BD37-C8D25D2816A4.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Some others in the EVGA community have similar issues too. Should have brought the EK vector 

7 minutes ago, PowerBaller said:

Some others in the EVGA community have similar issues too. Should have brought the EK vector 

if you had any photos of inbetween the installation, this would be more useful since these things are usually caused by a misplaced thermal pad and/or incorrect screw. Alternatively just clamping down on the screws may also help.

Not the same GPU, but still relevant. Here are some examples of decent contact, the TM should be pretty much completely squeezed out. EVGA warns about overtightening, but generally I do clamp on the screws about the die fairly tightly.

Before installation:

08.jpg

1 hour ago, For Science! said:

Before installation:

08.jpg

Is this good for a 2080 ti ftw3?

B6DA9F69-6CD7-4B20-A453-BCA8E81632AC.jpeg

C4A0F133-3757-479D-81DD-7F2A2A74A013.jpeg

2 hours ago, For Science! said:

Before installation:

08.jpg

Well i supertight but not overtight the screw around the gpu. Now the temp peaks at 51.

Guess even though EVGA support tells me to loose it a bit if overtight, they analyze the situation the wrong way

7 hours ago, PowerBaller said:

Well i supertight but not overtight the screw around the gpu. Now the temp peaks at 51.

Guess even though EVGA support tells me to loose it a bit if overtight, they analyze the situation the wrong way

Good to hear it was just a pressure problem. Enjoy your low temperatures :)

21 hours ago, For Science! said:

Good to hear it was just a pressure problem. Enjoy your low temperatures :)

it isnt good enough for a full cover water block though, full load benchmark still hits 65. Guess i am regretting not buying an EK

Looks to me like the waterblock isn't/wasn't mounted completely flat on the GPU.

If you look at the thermal pads on either side of the GPU, you can clearly see the difference in how much pressure is/was placed on the thermal pads.

Left is good. Right and top is bad. They should be equal.

When tightening the screw on the waterblock, do it in a star pattern a little at a time. This is important if you want the mounting pressure to be even.

IMG_0753.thumb.jpg.98aff8246d73565cfb7d6f1da11b6631.jpg

I agree with the above, make sure you're tightening each screw gently at first before dancing around and tightening in sequence.  If you crank down each one individually then you may squeeze the PCB into a non-flat shape and get shitty mounting pressure.  It's possible that they didn't machine the standoffs accurately but I dunno how likely that really is with everything being CNC nowadays.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

29 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I agree with the above, make sure you're tightening each screw gently at first before dancing around and tightening in sequence.  If you crank down each one individually then you may squeeze the PCB into a non-flat shape and get shitty mounting pressure.  It's possible that they didn't machine the standoffs accurately but I dunno how likely that really is with everything being CNC nowadays.

I actually filed the standoffs down a little, to make sure it made proper contact. about 0,5-1,0mm.