AImesh how to execute it the proper way?

tennbrikket

Hello :) my family is constantly complaing about bad wifi reception at home. It's a fairly large house with three floors. The main router is in the basement, which is not an ideal location, but i want the control of it, since i live there. I am only running a old asus dark knight router n66u. I am trying to find some used routers since they are pretty cheap in Norway. Currently i am watching the ac88u and the ac3200, which of those would be the most ideal to go for, and also i would like to have to AImesh routers. One in the garage (lan parties at 2. floor) and one at the 1. floor since my brother is complaining on bad wifi performance when playing ps4. But which routers should be running the AImesh, should i just find the cheapest ones that support it? Also how should i connect them, should they all be connected to the same switch backhaul? Or do i connect both aimesh routers to the "main" router?

example from what i think would be the best in terms of value.

Main router ac88u or ac3200

Aimesh 1 -> RT-AC66U B1*

Aimesh 2 -> RT-AC66U B1*

aimesh.png

If you are going to connect each router via ethernet then you might as well just set them up as Access points or get Access Points from a company like Ubiquiti. If the routers don't have AP Mode just connect the ethernet cable to lan, turn off dhcp, and set a static lan ip.

EDIT: I tought AiMesh was wireless only, you would only need to turn on AiMesh. The routers that you picked look like good options but I don't know if there are better options.