mac + windows user. Want to know about tower (tower)

Studied-it

Im looking to build a dual OS desktop. mac and windows in one. That works and is able to update logic pro x (if possible). Currently using a apple mac pro and a windows laptop. Just want to know how to upgrade and put it into one machine. The desk space is minimal. thank you for taking time to read and thank you for any help. i will be fairly active.

Cheap but efficient would be amazing also 

Edited by Studied-it

2 minutes ago, Studied-it said:

Im looking to build a dual OS desktop. mac and windows in one. That works and is able to update logic pro x (if possible). Currently using a apple mac pro and a windows laptop. Just want to know how to upgrade and put it into one machine. The desk space is minimal. thank you for taking time to read and thank you for any help. i will be fairly active.

You can either use bootcamp or a VM for windows on a mac, or build a PC and make a Hackintosh to run Mac SO.

Bother have their issues.

1 minute ago, Studied-it said:

what would be the issue with a hackintosh?

Reliability.

Keeping a hackintosh updated from OS to OS upgrade is not as simple as just clicking through the mac store.

Then there are issues with drivers for all the different hardware components.  It's possible to get it up and running, but to do real work and reliably save projects and update software is another thing altogether.

What do you need windows for?  It might be better to keep your Mac hardware and run windows for whatever you need it for.

2 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Reliability.

Keeping a hackintosh updated from OS to OS upgrade is not as simple as just clicking through the mac store.

Then there are issues with drivers for all the different hardware components.  It's possible to get it up and running, but to do real work and reliably save projects and update software is another thing altogether.

What do you need windows for?  It might be better to keep your Mac hardware and run windows for whatever you need it for.

Use windows for gaming and Unity/Fmod, then mac for logic pro x and sometimes final cut. i need more storage for both and just something in one if possible

Just now, Studied-it said:

Use windows for gaming and Unity/Fmod, then mac for logic pro x and sometimes final cut. i need more storage for both and just something in one if possible

Yeah, the challenge is that gaming on the mac isn't great, but final pro on the hack isn't ideal either.

Is there another app you can use with windows instead of final pro?  Google hackintosh and you will see the challenges.  Anytime you update something you are at risk of messing up a driver/setting and breaking something.  There is a lot of backing things up and trial and error.

7 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Reliability.

If you know what you're doing with a hackintosh, keeping one running isn't too hard. The easiest thing to do is keep a drive available and periodically clone the installation of macOS to it. That way, if anything goes wrong, you won't have to completely reinstall. 

2 minutes ago, Lenovo1984 said:

If you know what you're doing with a hackintosh, keeping one running isn't too hard. The easiest thing to do is keep a drive available and periodically clone the installation of macOS to it. That way, if anything goes wrong, you won't have to completely reinstall. 

I agree, and the hardware performance upgrade for the money can make it worth it, but I was imagining the OP with a ProX project that he lost due to a Kext update or something getting corrupted in a backup/clone.

It's a little risky...

Just now, TheGlenlivet said:

I agree, and the hardware performance upgrade for the money can make it worth it, but I was imagining the OP with a ProX project that he lost due to a Kext update or something getting corrupted in a backup/clone.

It's a little risky...

The cloning I mentioned would just be for a boot drive. Keep your data on a separate disk that can be accessed on another machine regardless of having a bootable system or not. 

2 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Yeah, the challenge is that gaming on the mac isn't great, but final pro on the hack isn't ideal either.

Is there another app you can use with windows instead of final pro?  Google hackintosh and you will see the challenges.  Anytime you update something you are at risk of messing up a driver/setting and breaking something.  There is a lot of backing things up and trial and error.

Instead. Would it be possible to play or stream audio through hdmi from one to another? or even be able to use each computer as a monitor for the second laptop. But sort of interchangeable, if that makes sense.

2 minutes ago, Studied-it said:

Instead. Would it be possible to play or stream audio through hdmi from one to another? or even be able to use each computer as a monitor for the second laptop. But sort of interchangeable, if that makes sense.

Sounds like you just need a monitor.

33 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Sounds like you just need a monitor.

But i don't have the space and i cant add or redo anything in this house as its rented short term

1 minute ago, Studied-it said:

But i don't have the space and i cant add or redo anything in this house as its rented short term

??  Just get a cheap 1080p 60hz monitor.  Your mac a laptop can both use it as an external display.

• 2 weeks later...

I sorted it. Turns out my speakers have 2 inputs and i managed to get enough money for synergy. Thank you for the help though.

On 11/25/2019 at 10:49 PM, TheGlenlivet said:

You can either use bootcamp or a VM for windows on a mac, or build a PC and make a Hackintosh to run Mac SO.

Bother have their issues.

Also i forgot to ask. Just out of curiosity. Whats bootcamp and VM like?

16 hours ago, Studied-it said:

Also i forgot to ask. Just out of curiosity. Whats bootcamp and VM like?

Bootcamp runs windows on the machine directly ( bare metal) while the VM creates a virtual machine and runs the OS there.  

Windows has some issues on Mac hardware, but the raw performance on bare metal is better, while a VM can be run in the background while MACOS is running.

There is a small lag in input on the VM so gaming isn't great, but if you take your time and set everything up just right you can get it working pretty close to a regular machine.