3950X launch a failure

Go to solution Solved by Reppin513,

I got a 3950x off ebay i didn't want to wait. hope it goes well

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

why tf do you need one RIGHT NOW?

chill out, god damn. The fact that you're willing to pay a grand on a chip instead of waiting a week for it to get back in stock for MSRP is just plain ridiculous.

A week he says.

8 minutes ago, Reppin513 said:

I dont mind markup. I don't want 2 though. I'm comfortable spending 1000 on it. I'll look after the gym.

I added one to cart right at 10am the second it let me, it wanted credentials. quickly entered them and then the cart was empty. It then blocked adding to cart for about an hour then completely unavailable. The micro center guy said bots insta buy them whatever that means. resellers? I mean i tried avery avenue. I think employees took stock at micro center. The GM said they had them, walked back and there were none. spent all morning trying every avenue at once.

Quick search shows that the cheapest Buy It Now on there is $1200 USD with all the others falling in the mid to upper $1K range.  Got about three timed ones on there but they all have a decent amount of time and all but one have hit the $1K mark already, so it will be interesting to see where they settle.  I would not be surprised to see them go for mid $1K range when the auctions end given the lack of live auctions right now.  If money is no option, then you might want to try to jump on the cheaper Buy It Now option (of course, you still want to do your homework to see if the seller seems reputable, etc since I certainly didn't check it out.)

Otherwise, I would think that if you wait a week or so, the resell market should stabilize somewhat once people who plan to sell finally put them all out and some of the feeding frenzy slows down.  Right now, I expect resell prices on sites like eBay or even Amazon to be quite volatile until that happens.  Those sky high prices won't start to lower until you get some real live auction feedback, so you can essentially approach some of these sellers on sites that allow it and negotiate a little by saying that you see they are selling for $x.00 instead of right now where it is absolutely anybody's guess just how high people are willing to go.

4 minutes ago, JB25304 said:

Quick search shows that the cheapest Buy It Now on there is $1200 USD with all the others falling in the mid to upper $1K range.  Got about three timed ones on there but they all have a decent amount of time and all but one have hit the $1K mark already, so it will be interesting to see where they settle.  I would not be surprised to see them go for mid $1K range when the auctions end given the lack of live auctions right now.  If money is no option, then you might want to try to jump on the cheaper Buy It Now option (of course, you still want to do your homework to see if the seller seems reputable, etc since I certainly didn't check it out.)

Otherwise, I would think that if you wait a week or so, the resell market should stabilize somewhat once people who plan to sell finally put them all out and some of the feeding frenzy slows down.  Right now, I expect resell prices on sites like eBay or even Amazon to be quite volatile until that happens.  Those sky high prices won't start to lower until you get some real live auction feedback, so you can essentially approach some of these sellers on sites that allow it and negotiate a little by saying that you see they are selling for $x.00 instead of right now where it is absolutely anybody's guess just how high people are willing to go.

Good advice. There's a lot on there now from when I looked earlier.

4 minutes ago, Reppin513 said:

Good advice. There's a lot on there now from when I looked earlier.

Since we don't know how many hit the market today, it is hard to forecast the resell market, but if things play out similar to say the 3900x, that market seemed to stabilize around six weeks or so until it started to hit the bottom around right before the presumed "3950x Launch Date" was back in September.  When it didn't launch, there was a sharp bump in prices as people who were waiting for the 3950x began to go back after the 3900x.  Since I don't see anything like that occurring for the 3950x and drawing on a some years of going the resell route of eBay, Amazon 3rd Party Sellers, etc, I would look for the 3950x resell market to stabilize around the same time the 3900x did (assuming there is a similar demand to supply ratio that there was for the 3900x.) 

I have preferred the eBay route myself for resell market purchases given their buyer protections but more importantly their ability to allow for price negotiations that sites like Amazon and some others lack.  You can sometimes shave a decent amount off simply by doing that and knowing what the market has been like over a set period of time.  I would keep my eyes out on Amazon since not all 3rd Party Resellers are scammers on there, and they have decent protections for buyers (at least that has been my experience.)  Sites like Facebook Marketplace has always made me a little nervous because lack of real buyer protections and lack of an easy way to really assess the seller (at least that has been my perception.)  There are some Reddit sites like HardwareSwap that seems to have a pretty good community, and I have heard good things about HardwareSwap myself.  I have not tried it yet, but I would not hesitate to purchase there since they do have a de facto feedback system that is not unlike a cruder form of eBay feedback.  At least this allows you to investigate the seller a bit before pulling the trigger and does help you make a more informed choice about who you are buying from and the potential risk of being scammed.

5 hours ago, Reppin513 said:

It's moot if more end up being sold. Rumor mill is there may not be more coming. Time will tell.

Obviously chips don't degrade under normal usage.

Though Zen 3 is next year, so how long the wait is might make it moot in another way.

What? What rumor that no more are coming? When has that ever happened? This isn't some special edition, it's a regular production chip. They are made and sold in batches. You missed the first batch. Wait for the next one. 

17 hours ago, Reppin513 said:

how much did you pay?

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

23 hours ago, Founders said:

Why would you ever buy anything for a new system before all of the parts you're planning to use are actually available? Where's the logic here? Run your current system till all of your new parts are readily available and then you have nothing to bitch about. These chips are going to be in high demand, you'd have to be a complete knuckle dragger not to realize this. The 3900X was very difficult to source for a while and then greater supply became available a month or so later, same story here. 

I agree and very true but even with the 3900X being available now the price for most places is $30 to $80 still above MSRP.  The only place to my knowledge that has it at MSRP is Microcenter and that is in store only and they previously had it at $600.

Even if stock comes back in the projected 6 weeks I could see retailers asking for 5%-15% above retail $800-$875 easily 

That's why I said on reddit before launch MacMall's $872 preorder frankly was not out of line.  

SFF Time N-ATX V2 - Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WIFI - AMD Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 4090 - LG C2 OLED 42" 

1 hour ago, Jrasero said:

I agree and very true but even with the 3900X being available now the price for most places is $30 to $80 still above MSRP.  The only place to my knowledge that has it at MSRP is Microcenter and that is in store only and they previously had it at $600.

Even if stock comes back in the projected 6 weeks I could see retailers asking for 5%-15% above retail $800-$875 easily 

That's why I said on reddit before launch MacMall's $872 preorder frankly was not out of line.  

The point is OP is going Ham on AMD for something that's entirely out of their hands. They are at the mercy of TSMC and they're struggling to keep up with demand from larger companies who take priority, it's not just AMD. Retailers price hiking on new products, a completely sleazy thing to do, is nothing new. If they want to charge an extra 5-10 percent to reserve an allocation for a new product that's fair I guess, markup on new products that are readily available, not so much. I'm a big fan of Micro Center for that reason, amongst other reasons. They had a markup on the 3900X temporarily while supply was virtually non existent, but they dropped it back down to the actual retail price after supply became available. Purchasing anything, I don't care what it is, at double the suggested retail price is imbecilic. Have fun with that one OP, I hope that was somehow worth it to you.   

I just can't believe I snagged one at list price on launch day, got lucky with my break timing at work. The re sellers are gouging this one pretty hard too, I'd sell mine too but that just feels ethically wrong at this point.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/26/2019 at 6:00 PM, Jrasero said:

So almost 4 weeks later there is no consistent stock but some vendors have been getting small shipments in, HOWEVER the asking price all around seems to be $900.  Which is even higher than I projected but still $100 cheaper than a i9 10980XE.