Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Underi

9 years old HDD making noises, how long till it dies?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Bought a cheap PC from my friend to use as a home server. It came with a 2010 1tb hitachi HDD. Checked it with crystaldiskinfo and SMART is showing no issues at all. Only "alarming" things, are the usage hours and startup count, 22000 hours and ~7000 startups. It makes a horrible scratching noise. What is interesting that my 2013 WD Blue HDD with 1000 startups and 22400 hours doesn't make any noise at all. I intend to use the HDD until it fails. Afaik most drives fail in the first 5 years. How long do you think that this thing will last? I won't be storing any data without backing it up of course, so I don't mind it dying on me suddenly.


My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

 

RAM : 8GB HyperX Fury DDR4 @ 2666MHz

 

Mouse : Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Keyboard : Logitech G610 w/ Cherry MX Brown

 

Headset : Corsair Void Pro RGB Wireless

 

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't even use it, hearing constant noises like that isn't healthy for someone tech savvy. Ain't no expert in HDDs but depending on what is causing that noise will probably matter in its total lifespan.


Used -700% storage

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Underi said:

Bought a cheap PC from my friend to use as a home server. It came with a 2010 1tb hitachi HDD. Checked it with crystaldiskinfo and SMART is showing no issues at all. Only "alarming" things, are the usage hours and startup count, 22000 hours and ~7000 startups. It makes a horrible scratching noise. What is interesting that my 2013 WD Blue HDD with 1000 startups and 22400 hours doesn't make any noise at all. I intend to use the HDD until it fails. Afaik most drives fail in the first 5 years. How long do you think that this thing will last? I won't be storing any data without backing it up of course, so I don't mind it dying on me suddenly.

sound like the spindle motor bearings are probably bad, It could be days or years it just depends when they lock up. 


Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.2Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | WD Purple 8TB |
XSPC EX 360mm | XSPC Raystorm V3 | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Harpoon RGB Wireless 10,000DPI | LG 27" 4K 60Hz 27UK650 |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I wouldn't continue to use it at all.  If it suffers from a catastrophic mechanical failure there may be risk of damage to other components.  


AMD Ryzen 2700X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  | G.SKILL TridentZ 3636MHz 14-15-14-28 2x8GB  | EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3  | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If an HDD is giving obvious warning signs of impending failure), I would replace it immediately! What take chances. However, drives don't always give warnings before failing. A drive can last seemingly forever or irrecoverably fail without warning in as a few hours of operation. At least you are intelligent enough to be backing up your data!

 

All that said, I never worry about when a drive is going to fail since I have all of my data backed up to the teeth. However, if a drive started giving me a warning, I would be replacing it immediately (I always keep a spare drive of each size I'm using on hand).


Jeannie

 

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Consider some new drives in your total price? I'd have probably factored in new drives in purchasing such an old server anyway tbh. Mechanical devices don't last indefinitely, and even in the case that the drive sat for many years, can still be rather unpredictable.


The pursuit of knowledge for the sake of knowledge.

Forever in search of my reason to exist.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
15 hours ago, Murasaki said:

I wouldn't even use it, hearing constant noises like that isn't healthy for someone tech savvy. Ain't no expert in HDDs but depending on what is causing that noise will probably matter in its total lifespan.

 

15 hours ago, nick name said:

Honestly, I wouldn't continue to use it at all.  If it suffers from a catastrophic mechanical failure there may be risk of damage to other components.  

 

11 hours ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

If an HDD is giving obvious warning signs of impending failure), I would replace it immediately! What take chances. However, drives don't always give warnings before failing. A drive can last seemingly forever or irrecoverably fail without warning in as a few hours of operation. At least you are intelligent enough to be backing up your data!

 

I'm not really keen on dumping 50€ for a new hard drive since I don't make much money as a student.


My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

 

RAM : 8GB HyperX Fury DDR4 @ 2666MHz

 

Mouse : Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | Keyboard : Logitech G610 w/ Cherry MX Brown

 

Headset : Corsair Void Pro RGB Wireless

 

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Underi said:

...I'm not really keen on dumping 50€ for a new hard drive since I don't make much money as a student.

I remember my starving student days. As long as you keep your data backed up (keep in mind, any data that's not backed up will be lost when the drive dies), then keep using the dirve but start saving your pennies for a new one. That drive could die at any time, then you would be forced to scramble in a hurry to get a new one.


Jeannie

 

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Underi said:

 

 

I'm not really keen on dumping 50€ for a new hard drive since I don't make much money as a student.

When I was a student (many years ago) was the only time I lost a HDD.  Unfortunately, it was full of music I spent a lot of time curating and back in those days I couldn't get most of it back.  

 

 


AMD Ryzen 2700X  |  Fractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  | G.SKILL TridentZ 3636MHz 14-15-14-28 2x8GB  | EVGA 1070 Ti SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3  | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×