AMD clearly isn’t tired of winning yet… - Threadripper 3970X/3960X Review

LMG needs to change the title of the Intel video to "tl;dr: Watch the other video." This video deserves more views, and basically sums up what is in both videos well enough, and is shorter. I feel sorry for the Intel video's sponsor.

Intel/Mac here (if it's a Mac it is Intel - redundant but anyway). This is starting to get really interesting! ?

Not only for AMD perspective but also expecting to see what Intel is gonna come up with and how long will it take - if at all!

BTW yeah it's a different thing but come on it's also the same :P how is the development of ARM for laptops/desktops? Been hearing/reading about it for at least a couple years now but don't know if anything real has been done yet.

If they do have something real in the works (and again, I know it ain't supposed to be top contender) maybe there's a video there somewhere…? @GabenJr

It seems the AMD 3970X is a good upgrade from my Intel 3970X ?......

$3200AUD is somewhat justifiable as I don't upgrade my PC that often.

The 3990X is going to be interesting though, I wonder if it will be another 3900X/3950X situation in relation to heat and power.

imma just put this here cause its probably accurate.

Spoiler

101399055_3990XR20.thumb.jpg.d940624badcfbb86fba997d1b1551672.jpg

*photoshopped

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

Man, how quickly things changed. Just few years ago my 5820K with 12 threads was well above average and it looked like it'll stay that way for many many years to come. Fast forward to now and we're at 128 threads on what's essentially a very high end consumer product. Insane. I wonder if games will shift from preferring higher core clock to higher thread count with all the AMD winning and releases of CPU's with such high core counts.

Also, given how AMD is going all out by churning out 2x cores with every release, they must have a long term plan to keep up with their own pace. I mean, you can't just churn out infinite amounts of cores forever. I wonder what is their long term plan here. How are they going to continue releasing new CPU's while still having option to release/offer new stuff. I know they have quite some space trickling down from 128 threads to lower parts that are still even at 2c/4t configurations, but they'll run out of steam at the higher end with such pace. Unless they have a trick up their sleeve for Zen 3, Zen 4 and Zen 5...

How exactly are you all running your firefox compile benchmark? I wanted to run myself for a basic comparison but my build times are way faster for some reason. I did make sure not to use artifact mode but I can't find any info about how the test is ran by LTT / any other reviewers.

9 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Man, how quickly things changed. Just few years ago my 5820K with 12 threads was well above average and it looked like it'll stay that way for many many years to come. Fast forward to now and we're at 128 threads on what's essentially a very high end consumer product. Insane. I wonder if games will shift from preferring higher core clock to higher thread count with all the AMD winning and releases of CPU's with such high core counts.

Also, given how AMD is going all out by churning out 2x cores with every release, they must have a long term plan to keep up with their own pace. I mean, you can't just churn out infinite amounts of cores forever. I wonder what is their long term plan here. How are they going to continue releasing new CPU's while still having option to release/offer new stuff. I know they have quite some space trickling down from 128 threads to lower parts that are still even at 2c/4t configurations, but they'll run out of steam at the higher end with such pace. Unless they have a trick up their sleeve for Zen 3, Zen 4 and Zen 5...

If not cores, then how else are we supposed to get 2x performance with every generation? Clock speeds definitely didn't double as "expected".  Unless..........CPUs start getting built with regenerating liquid nitrogen? Cuz then we can finally get 5.5-6Ghz+ B|

On 11/26/2019 at 8:15 PM, caincha said:

BTW yeah it's a different thing but come on it's also the same :P how is the development of ARM for laptops/desktops? Been hearing/reading about it for at least a couple years now but don't know if anything real has been done yet.

If they do have something real in the works (and again, I know it ain't supposed to be top contender) maybe there's a video there somewhere…? @GabenJr

Four years ago but yeah there was a video about it :)

Sorry for the somewhat offtopic but what's the song at the very beginning? Thanks.