i7 4790k overclock

I know this chip is pretty old but I want to squeeze more performance, I'm basically new to overclocking so far the only thing I've done is stress test for about 4 hours

CPU: Intel i7 4790k
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo
GPU: XFX RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 8GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA - Z97MX Gaming 5
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 1600

PSU:Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold

8 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

If memory serves, you should expect ~4.8 ghz @ ~1.3v.

That's with XMP disabled

I was really lucky, I could push 4.7 with 1.2 volts on my 4790K, and although you shouldn't expect voltage that low, it was with a 212 evo so you can at least expect the temps to stay in check no problem. My temps were sub 70 after a prolonged stress test.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I was really lucky, I could push 4.7 with 1.2 volts on my 4790K, and although you shouldn't expect voltage that low, it was with a 212 evo so you can at least expect the temps to stay in check no problem. My temps were sub 70 after a prolonged stress test.

That is insane you got really there, As I am still new to overclocking, What should my memory speed and timing be at?

Use software tools to see what they are currently set to, and manually enter those into the BIOS.

CPU-Z gives you some of the timings, HWInfo displays most if not all of them.

5 minutes ago, CaptainMcallister said:

That is insane you got really there, As I am still new to overclocking, What should my memory speed and timing be at?

Ideally the fastest you can get away with (but I never had problems with 1600 CL14 so don't be too disappointed if you can't push it)

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Use software tools to see what they are currently set to, and manually enter those into the BIOS.

CPU-Z gives you some of the timings, HWInfo displays most if not all of them.

Thanks I appreciate that

37 minutes ago, Ehmc130 said:

Not the same board here, but it's the same basic principles. 

I really appreciate this it helped a lot 

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

I had a 2600k with 2133 DDR3, it worked fine.  HOWEVER, the memory was rated for that speed.

My memory is rated 1600 and I honestly don’t want to push it any further just yet 

38 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Ideally the fastest you can get away with (but I never had problems with 1600 CL14 so don't be too disappointed if you can't push it)

I’ll just keep at stock 1600 ?

1 hour ago, KarathKasun said:

I had a 2600k with 2133 DDR3, it worked fine.  HOWEVER, the memory was rated for that speed.

How will I find out if the overclock is stable?

Had a fancy board with mine but would set it to 4.8 @1.35 I think. Didn’t bother to push it as I don’t benchmark for scores. 

Also quite hot hot during the test, way hotter than real world obviously. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

45 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Had a fancy board with mine but would set it to 4.8 @1.35 I think. Didn’t bother to push it as I don’t benchmark for scores. 

Also quite hot hot during the test, way hotter than real world obviously. 

So far I have it at 4.5 with 1.25v so far I’ve been using realbench, aida64, and OCCT so far it’s been good, but I’m still figure if it’s stable 

4 hours ago, CaptainMcallister said:

So far I have it at 4.5 with 1.25v so far I’ve been using realbench, aida64, and OCCT so far it’s been good, but I’m still figure if it’s stable 

If you can do OCCT on the small data set test mode for 15 minutes, you are stable enough for 99% of things.