Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
antoine112

Haven't followed hardware news for 6 years, help me choose a cooler for my newly picked-up 9700k

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi,

 

Title pretty much, My case is the Fractal Design Define R5 Black. (No particular budget limitations, just don't want to spend 200€...)

At this point in time I'm not even sure if I should go with an AIO (not even mentioning about the 240/280/360 thing)

or something like Noctua NH-D15/Dark Rock PRO 4...

 

From my recent research, i've been reading that Enermax is to be avoided, and Alphacool Eisbaer is a good option right now - what do you guys think ?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, antoine112 said:

Hi,

 

Title pretty much, My case is the Fractal Design Define R5 Black. (No particular budget limitations, just don't want to spend 200€...)

At this point in time I'm not even sure if I should go with an AIO (not even mentioning about the 240/280/360 thing)

or something like Noctua NH-D15/Dark Rock PRO 4...

 

From my recent research, i've been reading that Enermax is to be avoided, and Alphacool Eisbaer is a good option right now - what do you guys think ?

 

 

With that case and 180mm cooler clearance, i think its just a matter of " will it hit my ram" moment with air coolers. Though if you plan on CPU coolers that are pretty much up there, check out Noctua NH-D15 and Deepcool Assassin III. these pretty much work similarly but i like the aesthetics of the assassin III better.


Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

 

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3200 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G502 Hero
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

 

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

Link to post
Share on other sites

The NH-D15 has cutouts at the lower parts of the fin array that should allow DIMM module clearance on either side of the cooler. Of course, you might need to remove one of the outer fans if you have DIMMs on both sides of the cooler.

 

I've used the Dark Rock TF in an SFF build and it works very well as a "blow down" air cooler. Because it is essentially shaped like an inverted pyramid, it clears my Corsair DIMM modules.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 hours ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Noctua NH D15 has motherboard and case compatibility listed on Noctua site so I suggest you go there and check for motherboard and case compatibility.

Just checked, and the NH-D15 is indeed compatible for both of my case and motherboard (ROG XI GENE), thank's for the tip!

 

11 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

The NH-D15 has cutouts at the lower parts of the fin array that should allow DIMM module clearance on either side of the cooler. Of course, you might need to remove one of the outer fans if you have DIMMs on both sides of the cooler.

I just need DIMMs on the right sight of the cpu. Problem is, my upgrade is done but the Ram is the last component i haven't picked yet.

 

11 hours ago, Martin2132 said:

check out Noctua NH-D15 and Deepcool Assassin III

Will take that one in consideration. Thank's.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@antoine112Do have a look at Nocuta NH-U12A, too.

 

Watercooling is kind of excessive for a 9700K (if you don't plan to delid), but adds a risk of leakage and has to be serviced from time to time, unlike Noctua's coolers :)

Edited by 1van
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
14 minutes ago, 1van said:

@antoine112Do have a look at Nocuta NH-U12A, too.

 

Watercooling is kind of excessive for a 9700K (if you don't plan to delid), but adds a risk of leakage and has to be serviced from time to time, unlike Noctua's coolers :)

I actually looked up on the delidding procedure, but i don't trust myself enough to see it through so I'm not planning to do it.

I've been thinking of going with the NH-D15 or maybe the Deepcool Assassin III but it's not definitive by any stretch of the imagination. Waiting for Black Friday.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@antoine112I'd stay away from Assassin III. The big advantage of their previous Assassin II was that it offered near-top performance for about half of the price. Assassin III offers top performance for top price?

But the build quality is lower (it's easy to see in the reviews) and the quality of the fans is questionable. I am not a Noctua fanboi, but their build quality is excellent and fans last a long time. Their support is also great.

If you want to save some money, Scythe Fuma 2 appears to be a great cooler.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×