Desktop CPU Cooler Replacement Suggestions

antiguy1994

I recently bought a prebuilt desktop the Asus Strix Gl10dh-nh764 and not suprising it came with a stock looking cooler and case fan was hoping they would included the amd wraith since my processor is a amd ryzen 7 3700x. I want to replace it so I can overclock in the future but don't know what to get since this case kinda sucks for cooling options. I am open to air cooler or aio Suggestions.  I am guessing that its 120 mm fans in the future I am going to just build my own computer cant trust prebuilts to not screw you over somewhere. 

Link to the desktop 

https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-strix-gl10dh-nh764/p/N82E16883221574?item=N82E16883221574&source=googleshopping&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-mobile&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-mobile-_-pla-_-gaming+desktop-_-N82E16883221574&gclid=CjwKCAiA8ejuBRAaEiwAn-iJ3n_KjHJWDG4qh5R7GfrOQz61aKcIIFTr-OOwXE580BrVurJa2-dj5BoCC48QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

20191119_165017.jpg

20191119_165013.jpg

What are your load temps with the current cooler?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Looking at the motherboard, I would avoid overclocking 3700x on it. You will blow VRMs very quickly.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

I runs about 40 c no load 57c peak is 60 when playing outer worlds on max settings I figured that maybe the case since there is no ai tweaker in the bios. I very hesitant about overclocking just curious if I should replace the CPU cooler and case fan and psu because they look cheap and generic. The mother board is apparently a modified version of the Asus prime b450-k according to the article Asus put out but the motherboard says it's a gl10dh.

Link to the article it's in the paragraph under double trouble

https://rog.asus.com/articles/coming-soon/the-rog-strix-gl10dh-packs-3rd-gen-ryzen-into-an-affordable-gaming-desktop/

15746216153031168029422063494663.jpg

15746218785884198769433060585355.jpg

15746223799195372708583887682220.jpg

15746224408938409371680960669754.jpg

3 hours ago, antiguy1994 said:

I runs about 40 c no load 57c peak is 60 when playing outer worlds on max settings I figured that maybe the case since there is no ai tweaker in the bios. I very hesitant about overclocking just curious if I should replace the CPU cooler and case fan and psu because they look cheap and generic. The mother board is apparently a modified version of the Asus prime b450-k according to the article Asus put out but the motherboard says it's a gl10dh.

Those temps seem fine. What are temps when running a synthetic load like OCCT?

Is the cooler too noisy?

Looks aren't a great way to tell if something is actually good or bad and isn't prioritized inside of prebuilts with solid side panels where it's just a waste of money. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It's really loud plus I wouldn't mind having a cooler that can work existing rgb in the case the side is clear not tempered glass but clear enough you can see through it what cooler aio do suggest I linked better pictures the computer has Asus aura sync. I want something to make computer look better inside while cooling better.

15746401276698777843965646056011.jpg

15746401756097973671700509128940.jpg

I did occt for 5 mins the average seemed to be around 80 degrees c peaked high 90s for a bit 

15746413067503879808523786376141.jpg

6 hours ago, antiguy1994 said:

I did occt for 5 mins the average seemed to be around 80 degrees c peaked high 90s for a bit 

That's a bit high but still safe.

Do you know how much clearance is available for the cooler height? If you're not sure, please measure the distance between the socket and side panel. 

When I used a tape measure it was about 5 inches. My concern is that there only seems to be one slot for a exhaust case fan so in total I got 1 case fan 1 cpu fan and 1 GPU fan so I want something effective in the limited space having something that looks good would be a plus I figured you would know  what's best for my situation. 

3 hours ago, antiguy1994 said:

When I used a tape measure it was about 5 inches. My concern is that there only seems to be one slot for a exhaust case fan so in total I got 1 case fan 1 cpu fan and 1 GPU fan so I want something effective in the limited space having something that looks good would be a plus I figured you would know  what's best for my situation. 

There aren't many options available considering the clearance available. For rgb and lower noise, I'd recommend the Choten: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Nkvbt6/scythe-choten-tuf-gaming-alliance-5117-cfm-cpu-cooler-scct-1000tuf

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

There aren't many options available considering the clearance available. For rgb and lower noise, I'd recommend the Choten: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Nkvbt6/scythe-choten-tuf-gaming-alliance-5117-cfm-cpu-cooler-scct-1000tuf

Make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It may be a half to a inch longer I can measure it again tomorrow to make certain. A question I have is an aio like a kraken m22 120 mm, enermax aquafusion or cooler master master liquid better or worse than what you mentioned above? Is the cost to performance too high to consider something like those 3 I listed because they are only single rad fans. I know I likely cant go with a horizontal design air cooler. If only noctua made rgb fans I would be tempted to get there low clearance cooler. That is the one thing I do know about coolers they make the best coolers period. 

22 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

I did better second go at measuring it this this with a ruler it measure really close to 6 inches I would say its 5.75 inches maybe 6 if the edge was touching the panel 

On 11/25/2019 at 4:39 PM, WoodenMarker said:

Talked with Asus support they gave me information about the cooler and psu that are in this computer. Do you think that this true also should I replace the psu if they use any of these psu companies? 

GL10DH will have a Coolermaster CPU cooler, but again, probably not a common model that is sold separately. We often use Acbel, Chicony, and GreatWall power supplies, so expect the customer's unit would be using one of these as below of 500W, but ask the customer to confirm on their end to be sure. CHICONY/D16-500P1A REV04 GREATWALL/GW-ATX500BL(AS) ACBEL/PCA013-ZA6G ============

20 hours ago, antiguy1994 said:

Talked with Asus support they gave me information about the cooler and psu that are in this computer. Do you think that this true also should I replace the psu if they use any of these psu companies? 

The psu probably has a label on it for the model name. Check to see what's on it to confirm. You might need to remove the unit to see. That being said, it should be adequate for the current system and there's no need to replace it unless you're upgrading to more power hungry components. 

23 hours ago, antiguy1994 said:

I did better second go at measuring it this this with a ruler it measure really close to 6 inches I would say its 5.75 inches maybe 6 if the edge was touching the panel 

Unless you can find an H7 Quad Lumi for cheap, I'd stick with the Choten if you're looking for rgb. 

• 10 months later...
On 11/26/2019 at 3:34 PM, antiguy1994 said:

GL10DH will have a Coolermaster CPU cooler, but again, probably not a common model that is sold separately. We often use Acbel, Chicony, and GreatWall power supplies, so expect the customer's unit would be using one of these as below of 500W, but ask the customer to confirm on their end to be sure. CHICONY/D16-500P1A REV04 GREATWALL/GW-ATX500BL(AS) ACBEL/PCA013-ZA6G ============

Did you end up replacing the stock CPU cooler with an AIO? I just got the same pre-built PC, and would like to replace to an AIO because of the loud noise.