Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ed.Nev

i5 9600k Vs Ryzen 5 2600x

Posted · Original PosterOP

I am upgrading from an i5 8400 as it is lagging behind in VR. I play alot of very CPU demanding VR games like blade and Sorcery.

Which CPU is a better upgrade for me? 

For the Ryzen I would have to buy a new mobo but I can get the Gigabyte A320M-S2H for £50 and as Ryzen 5 2600x are very cheap, bundling the two together is similar priced to an i5 9600k

So which CPU will be most effective for me? 

Other specs:

Vega 56

12gb ddr4 2660mhz

2tb 7200 rpm HDD

120gb ssd

(current mobo) MSI H310m pro-vh

TXM 750W psu

Thank youuu

...you're kinda crippled either way.

2666mhz RAM isn't the best for Ryzen, and it's a weaker CPU.

But if you upgrade to the 9600k, you can't overclock it....so you miss a bit of performance there.

The A320 motherboards are pretty bad as well, I wouldn't pay that kind of money for one.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

...you're kinda crippled either way.

2666mhz RAM isn't the best for Ryzen, and it's a weaker CPU.

But if you upgrade to the 9600k, you can't overclock it....so you miss a bit of performance there.

The A320 motherboards are pretty bad as well, I wouldn't pay that kind of money for one.

Yeah it's not a great situation but I did some research and found that 9600k Vs OC 9600k aren't that huge of a difference so what should I do?

3 minutes ago, m777y said:

3600x + b450m rogstrix-f gaming/b450 tomahawk max

Are there any cheaper options you can recommend something around £70?

5 minutes ago, Ed.Nev said:

Yeah it's not a great situation but I did some research and found that 9600k Vs OC 9600k aren't that huge of a difference so what should I do?

Save.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

17 minutes ago, Ed.Nev said:

I am upgrading from an i5 8400 as it is lagging behind in VR. I play alot of very CPU demanding VR games like blade and Sorcery.

Which CPU is a better upgrade for me? 

what sort of problems are you running into playing blade and sorcery?, i had a 4670 with an 1060 6gb that ran it quite well and when i got a 9600k and a 2070 i ran it with mods and it worked perfectly, when i house sat i ran it with the same mods but through a laptop (3gb 1060 and a like 6th gen old i5 i think) and it ran it quite well ingame but loading is where most of my issues were

8 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

what sort of problems are you running into playing blade and sorcery?, i had a 4670 with an 1060 6gb that ran it quite well and when i got a 9600k and a 2070 i ran it with mods and it worked perfectly, when i house sat i ran it with the same mods but through a laptop (3gb 1060 and a like 6th gen old i5 i think) and it ran it quite well ingame but loading is where most of my issues were

I'm not sure what's happening but even with just 1 mod installed CPU is running 70% with no enemies and 90-100 when there are enemies and this bottleneck causes alot of lag. any ideas??

Just now, Ed.Nev said:

I'm not sure what's happening but even with just 1 mod installed CPU is running 70% with no enemies and 90-100 when there are enemies and this bottleneck causes alot of lag. any ideas??

what mod is it?, might be a problem with the mod?

Just now, Ed.Nev said:

The Outer Rim

interesting, because that is one of the ones that i had installed, might i suggest running malware bytes and seeing if that picks anything up, same as defender (defender will check for errors inside of windows along with a virus scan)

2 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

interesting, because that is one of the ones that i had installed, might i suggest running malware bytes and seeing if that picks anything up, same as defender (defender will check for errors inside of windows along with a virus scan)

okay will do, thanks