is wifi 6 relevant?

amdorintel

looking at mobos to buy, and wondering what the new fangled wifi 6 due out 2019 is it worth having ?

7 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

looking at mobos to buy, and wondering what the new fangled wifi 6 due out 2019 is it worth having ?

yeah i think it will be its supposedly has 10gbps so basically hardwired connection... BUT WIRELESS! 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

As with all things tech, give it a year or two before you upgrade everything. Wifi 6 will be fast but first adoption is always a horrible idea unless you like torching cash. Let the new technology fester for a bit so they can work all the bugs out.

To get a benefit of WiFi 6 you need to have network that can support those kinds of speeds, most home WiFi 6 routers still have 1Gbps Ethernet ports.

So if the motherboard you want has WiFi 6 it's a bonus, but I wouldn't make getting WiFi 6 support a priority.

11 hours ago, amdorintel said:

Its not relevant today. But i will be in a few years when more and more devices have WiFi 6 radios. To fully use WiFi 6, all devices have to be WiFi 6 on the network. At least from what I have read. If you run lower devices, then many of the improvments wont help you. 

Lets just say its not a feature I would spend extra on. Though if your motherboard has it then cool. Keep in mind that most built in WiFi on motherboards are M.2 cards and you may be able to upgrade it to WiFi 6 in the future regaurdless. You also will most likely have a metric shit ton of WiFi 6 PCIe cards in the future as well. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.