If You Could Upgrade ONLY ONE Part In Your PC, What Would You Buy?

Syaoran

This thread could have used a poll, but it looks like at the time of posting (well, writing. Me slow. Takatakataka.) GPU is leading 3:1 compared to CPU, which in turn is very closely followed by storage of all things. I believe we have Nvidia to blame here, GPUs cost unproportionally much compared to the rest of the system.

Surprise surprise I too would go with a GPU. My 1070 struggles with 4K. It's not a huge issue right now since I'm mostly playing GW2, but it has already made me nope out of Witcher 3 (damn balcony show-off). Better storage is also something I need, I upgraded to NVMe SSD earlier this year but my 2TB Seagate spinner chirps so annoyingly (hecking Seagates, I also just yesterday pulled a ticking 1TB out of my Mac Pro, and I remember the days I had two spinners cause resonation together but be fine alone. I'll never buy another Seagate.)

If I could transfer this upgrade and use it on someone else's system instead, I'd get my mother a new laptop (she doesn't want used hardware, and I'm not unfortunately swimming in money, so there isn't much I'm able to do). She has an HP that's not upgrade friendly (RAM and storage might be upgradeable, but can't open the damn thing without risking marks/breaking clips and who knows what). It's unbearably slow for everything, even just browsing photos on it is painful. I don't know where they even find so weak components these days. Modern hardware is amazing, and even my Raspberry Pi is more pleasant to use than that thing. The day she can finally experience the bliss of SSD and competent CPU is going to be immeasurably great.

11 minutes ago, Kisai said:

The GPU makes a difference provided there is a workload that maxes it out, which is largely the realm of synthetic benchmarks and a few games like FFXV.

Other than Syaoran running out with their current 8GB config, a GPU upgrade would be the better upgrade. RAM speed doesn't make a huge difference after a certain point in real games, and for a Ryzen chip, Syaoran is already at that point. A GPU, on the other hand, WILL churn out more frames if not bottlenecked, or higher quality frames for a prettier experience.

15 minutes ago, Kisai said:

The CPU makes a difference only if the newer cpu is a 25% increase in single-threaded performance, which is something only achieved after like 5 years, and only if you pick the most expensive model.

For example I have a i7-4770, upgrading to a Ryzen 3900X is the only part that hits that performance jump.

The 4770 was never the most expensive/top of the line model within Haswell. It has both a clockspeed and IPC disadvantage.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-3900X/2384vs4044

Moving to a more powerful chip in 4th gen Core i, and that ~25% difference in single core (totally arbitrary number, by the way) literally halves itself when both chips are left at stock.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I'd say CPU but I'm already on an i7-4770k so I guess mobo but that would mean I'd need to get a new CPU as well ?

Laptop - Omen 15

i5-7300HQ, GTX 1060 maxQ 6gb, 120hz Panel, 16GB DDR4 Ram @2400hz

Blue Box
i5 - 3350p, R9 Nano Fury 4GB HBM, 8gb DDR3 Ram @1600hz

Probably replacing my 590 for a 5700 or 5700XT.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

43 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Other than Syaoran running out with their current 8GB config, a GPU upgrade would be the better upgrade. RAM speed doesn't make a huge difference after a certain point in real games, and for a Ryzen chip, Syaoran is already at that point. A GPU, on the other hand, WILL churn out more frames if not bottlenecked, or higher quality frames for a prettier experience.

The 4770 was never the most expensive/top of the line model within Haswell. It has both a clockspeed and IPC disadvantage.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-9-3900X/2384vs4044

Moving to a more powerful chip in 4th gen Core i, and that ~25% difference in single core (totally arbitrary number, by the way) literally halves itself when both chips are left at stock.

I don't have a time machine. I built this machine in June 22, 2013.

At the time the option was i7-4770 (Q2'13) that supports Virtualization, or the i7-4770k (

Q2'13) which does not. The 4790K came out an entire year later (Q2'14.)

Just now, Kisai said:

I don't have a time machine. I built this machine in June 22, 2013.

At the time the option was i7-4770 (Q2'13) that supports Virtualization, or the i7-4770k (

Q2'13) which does not. The 4790K came out an entire year later (Q2'14.)

4770K supports virtualization. It just doesn't support VT-d, which means no hardware passthrough. Not that big of a deal for a quad core system.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

A 2070S,  I don't even need a 2080.

In reality I will be lucky to save up enough for a 2060S in the coming months though... 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

decently happy with my setup, although for me it would be the screen, i have a nice 4k 2715Q Dell IPS panel, and i do like it, but GPU power in my 1080TI is at some points lacking the power for 60fps ultra details, so would like the LG 850GL screen the 1ms IPS 1440p screen.

i would like the high refresh, 144-165hz (i can´t remember what the GL850 is) going to hate 1440p, but have to learn to live with it.

would not buy new GPU until HDMI2.1 48gbit is standard, since i play simulation on my 55inch tv in my office, would like it to be 4K 120hz+ in the future, and for that i need the HDMI2.1 standard, and a bit more power than the 2080ti can deliver... so my 1080ti must suffice.

i'd get a new motherboard.

when i bought my pc i accidentally bought a mini atx board so i only have 2 ram slots.

but i'd upgrade it to a motherboard that supported the ryzen 3000 series so i could buy a new cpu at some point

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

8 hours ago, RasmusDC said:

would not buy new GPU until HDMI2.1 48gbit is standard, since i play simulation on my 55inch tv in my office, would like it to be 4K 120hz+ in the future, and for that i need the HDMI2.1 standard, and a bit more power than the 2080ti can deliver... so my 1080ti must suffice.

That might be wishful thinking. I'd suggest waiting for PCIe 4.0/5.0 if not in a hurry to replace the GPU.

HDMI standards tend to be behind the curve since HDMI is primarily for consumer (eg television) equipment, not professional/computer equipment (which is primarily displayport, or USB-C DP alternate mode.) 

In the case of HDMI, this is the same mistake being made with USB. Basically the devices will come out, but the cables capable of doing HDMI 2.1 will be mixed in with the fake and old HDMI cables. 

Like you typically get better resolution and refresh rates on displayport years before you get it on HDMI. However anything larger than 28" tends to be a television, which only has HDMI.

I would want to upgrade my GPU.

Hopefully, it will happen sooner rather than later. Still undecided on what to upgrade to though. ?

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

My RX 550 with 2070.  I used to have a GTX 1060 until it crapped out.  I have a i5 8400.

2080 ti or a 10 tb hard drive for my gmod addons.

(\/) (°,,,,°) (\/)

9 time out of 10 it would be the video card for me.  In fact I would say in the past it has been  pretty common for me to go through 2 video card upgrades for every 1 CPU upgrade

I would really like to get a 4K monitor, first priority is bright vivid colors with good accuracy (IPS) and second would be high refresh rate (120Hz+)

My current GPU wouldn't drive it too well but I can upgrade that at a later date and most games will run fine anyway.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

peripherals or monitor. i have a chromebox, after all. if i upgraded i'd be getting a new computer

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

Probably go from the stock AMD cooler to an RGB AIO or straight water cooling. 

If not that my monitor situation, I'd replace my little 1440 ACER monitor with probably an Acer G276HL Kbix 27"

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
    T-Force 16GB 3000mhz DDR4
  • GPU
    Powercolor Red Dragon Rx580 4GB
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
    1 Silicon Power 256gb SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer SB220Q bi 21.5 inches Full HD
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
    1 120mm Rosewill Case fan
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
    Insignia Computer Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

Would probably get an i7 (have an i5) or liquid cooling (have the H7). Maybe an awesome liquid cooler :) 

CPU, Id like a R9 3950X

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

The 3700x for the desktop. Laptop just got a new 1TB ssd thanks to Cyber Monday ?

On 11/24/2019 at 7:54 AM, Tech4Dogs said:

Water block for the GPU because it looks dumb having just the CPU cooled with rigid tubing.

Uy43Dq6l.jpg

How about the opposite like this? Rigid tubing but only on the GPU while the CPU stays aircooled..

(this is not mine)

953c5808_20170628_184507.jpeg

I want to taste AMD current gen Ryzen 7 3700X, but this will require new motherboard, so it won't suit this topic. My 8700K is still glorious tho, at least up to next 2 years, hopefully..

SILVER GLINT

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X || Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi || Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 MHz || GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT || Storage: Intel 660P Series || PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum || Case: Phanteks Evolv Shift TG Modded || Cooling: EKWB ZMT Tubing, Velocity Strike RGB, Vector RX 5700 +XT Special Edition, EK-Quantum Kinetic FLT 120 DDC, and EK Fittings || Fans: Noctua NF-F12 (2x), NF-A14, NF-A12x15

Regardless of price? I'd upgrade my GTX 1070 to a 2080ti or something. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

The only thing I DO need upgrading, my GPU.  Just got a Ryzen system so I'm good everywhere else.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

On 11/23/2019 at 7:14 PM, Drak3 said:

580. I have both in my main system.

Id trade your 580 for another 1080 in a upgrade

14 minutes ago, TexasModds said:

Id trade your 580 for another 1080 in a upgrade

Why? SLI is a crapshoot and I like having GPUs from both venders in my system.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.