Do Router ethernet ports fail?

suchamoneypit

Im trying to get my gigabit internet working, I have a Comcast gateway I've put in bridge mode to pass through the connection to my Nighthawk R7500. the Nighthawk will send 300mbps to my laptop (100% cpu load bottleneck) over wifi, but no matter what the connection, I cant get the nighthawk to send more than 20-150mbps (sometimes as long as 4mbps!) through the ethernet cables. Any idea why im getting such abysmal performance through only the ethernet ports? almost 4 hours of troubleshooting in and im beginning to think its a dead router. never seen it happen only other ethernet ports though. I did try other ethernet ports on the router and got the same results. I was trying different cables, switches, through my patch panel, not through, hardlined, ect. Pretty frustrating when I have 1GBps internet and my gaming PC is getting 30mbps...

If the wifi can do 300mbps, the router is clearly receiving speeds in excess of my old 150mbps, why isn't it making it past the ethernet ports?

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

ethernet to the gateway or to the router?

what are the specs for your laptop. - please mention the network interface card model number. you can get this from speccy

If you're getting sporadic/random results that could be hardware failure. If it's consistent it could be some type of bandwidth rule in the router (if it supports this) though usually that only allows it to be set to 10/100/1000 not 30...

The four ports commonly found on this equipment is just a switch built into a router. If all of them are behaving the same way then it's either a configuration issue or defective equipment.

Do you have a spare router you could test this with? If you see the results you want we'll know it's something with the Nighthawk.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

If you're getting sporadic/random results that could be hardware failure. If it's consistent it could be some type of bandwidth rule in the router (if it supports this) though usually that only allows it to be set to 10/100/1000 not 30...

The four ports commonly found on this equipment is just a switch built into a router. If all of them are behaving the same way then it's either a configuration issue or defective equipment.

Do you have a spare router you could test this with? If you see the results you want we'll know it's something with the Nighthawk.

I did make sure any kind of QoS was off, tomorrow im gonna swap routers and see if that one performs better. Maybe the switch on the router is bad or something.

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

12 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

I did make sure any kind of QoS was off, tomorrow im gonna swap routers and see if that one performs better. Maybe the switch on the router is bad or something.

Possible. Is it brand new? Got the receipt? 

18 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

Possible. Is it brand new? Got the receipt? 

it is not brand new but it was an expensive model at the time of purchase. Ive had it for a couple years.

21 minutes ago, suchamoneypit said:

it is not brand new but it was an expensive model at the time of purchase. Ive had it for a couple years.

Have you tried testing with a different computer? Same result? No matter the client?

See if your router has the latest firmware, quick look to netgears update release notes and I find this "Fixes the issue in which the upload speed behind the R7800 can only reach one-third of the actual speed  for some ISPs" So start with updating the firmware on your router if its not the newest version.

What does Windows report as the speed of the Ethernet link, it should report 10Mbps, 100Mbps or 1.0Gbps.

If its lower than 1Gbps try different Ethernet cable. If that doesn't help. See the settings of your network adapter and router, one of those might be forced to be 100Mbps connection.

Check the cable between gateway and your router, some times the Ethernet cable supplied with the device only has 4 wires what supports 100Mbps max.